It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Time Switches
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:31 pm 

I thought I'd share a photo of my collection of time switches and start a discussion.

Left to right:

Sangamo S600
Venner MD2QP
Venner MSP
Horstmann V MK2 SRS
Horstmann K MK2
Horstmann K MK2 A

I have only restored the MSP casing. I have not test tested any of the switches yet

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 618.06 KiB | Viewed 27808 times ]

Post subject: Re: Time Switches
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:03 pm 

I bought a Sangamo solar dial timeswitch from another forum member. Spent a happy hour reading the instruction manual online to understand how to set it. Once set and powered up, it was most interesting watching it move and operates the contacts. Looking forward to installing it with a lantern. Unfortunately it's a 52 degree model,  and in Scotland we need s 54 degree model,  so it will need occasional correction during the year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm 

I prefer the Venner time switches, the Horstmann ones are similar design to Venner. Both very nice and vintage. Not so keen on Sangamo time switches as much.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-VENNER-TI ... 337ec6db6d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Colle ... 460aa6c999

I think both are the same model, just in different cases, of which I have both.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:22 am 

Most of my clocks are Venner MSQPs acquired just after they've been decommissioned. At the moment I have about 4 on my work top in the garage awaiting some attention due to different states of non-working. I did have one that worked for ages, then broke, but I have since repaired it and it's now better than before.
I also have a Horstmann clock that comes with Spring Reserve, and has been used before now to power a table lamp in the house when we've been on holiday (even if there'd been a power cut the lamp would have switched at the correct times you see...).

I have a SELC 855 (I think that's the right number) which is fully electronic but only has two buttons so is properly confusing to set, not helped because it seems to have half a million different modes to it! This is in nightly service, and replaces a Sangamo E850 that broke shortly after we moved house - there is no voltage to the relay coil that switches the load (the relay is fine, the problem is whatever is supposed to provide the voltage to it).

I also have a Horstmann K type, which came with my Highfield lantern... and Simon C has commented that it is in great condition for its age, and I will admit I was quite surprised at how good it looked when I first got it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:50 am 
Random avatar

I have a few time switches I have collected up over time. I have some Sangamo types, and some Venner switches. Amongst what I can remember are the small enclosed Venner in the green cases, I have an electric clock type and a wind-up spring clock type which runs for 8 days before needing re-winding.

I also have a couple of larger cased Venners, they are rated at 50amps and date from the early 60's
I also have a really old Venner cast-iron cased time switch, which is pictured here. It bears a brass plate stating "makers number 409, owners number (no numbers engraved). On the front window there is a small label with the date 7-12-36 marked on it.

It is a clockwork mechanism, with a dial reading the days of the week inside. On the dial you set the time on, there are three pointers. The first one is marked "ARCS", and operates a set of contacts which have been marked D by the owners (day?), and is set to about 07:30. The next pointer is marked "GLOW", and when it operates it switches off the first set of contacts (D), and switches on a second set which have been marked N (night?) by the owners. This happens about 17:30. The third pointer is marked "OUT", and opens the second set (N) contacts, meaning neither switch is in the on position. This happens about 21:00. These settings are as I got the switch, and appear to have been set for years. I am still hunting for a key to wind up the clock mechanism to see if it works. The contacts look like two prongs of a fork which are pushed into two cups containing mercury, so allowing current to pass from one cup to the other and completing the circuit. (there was no mercury in the switch when I got it).

Any info anyone can give me would be useful, including any advice on the makers number (was this the 409th switch venner made?).

photo's of the inside to follow once I can get someone with a better camera (my brother) to take them for me.
Attachment:
venner switch 409.JPG
venner switch 409.JPG [ 45.55 KiB | Viewed 27756 times ]

I will take some pictures of my other timeswitches when I go to my stores next, and get details of them..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:35 am 

Sounds like a very unusual switch to me. If this was used for lighting, I am throwing my idea out there in that it may have been used for more than one light source over the years.... likely starting with a Carbon Arc lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 pm 
Random avatar

Update on the large Venner timeswitch I have.
I went to an antique centre on Sunday, and took the switch with me in the hope of finding a clock key which fitted it. I was successful in doing this, and after a bit of a struggle getting it to start, the clock has been running since Sunday afternoon, and the contacts change over as they should. It has gained about 15 minutes in time, but apart from that it seems OK, the man in the antique centre reckoned on an 8 day movement but I shall monitor how it lasts as it is currently sat on my desk.
Not bad for a 76 year-old timeswitch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 am 

Well it's certainly better than being a paperweight! :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:10 pm 
Random avatar

Good Evening
My name is Rob, I have a recent rekindled interest in time switches having been given a couple. This has opened a 'can of worms' as I think a collection may start!
I am therefore looking for any 'spring reserve' type time switches. I keep looking on ebay but it doesn't look hopeful.
I think there are a couple of types of spring reserve switches, ones that run constantly using the escapement for time keeping, and the other using mains 50hz for time keeping with the escapement only coming in to use when the power fails.
If anyone here can help me on my quest, that would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:38 am 

I have a fair few solar dial units in my possession, including a yellow BST dial Sangamo example. Pics will follow at some point.....