It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: SLI lamps
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:19 am 

I'm half tempted to buy one of those lamps just in case I need one later on. But £50 is a lot of money to me, and I don't want to risk it in the back of a royal mail van!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:49 am 

I'm tempted too but at £63 inc postage, i'm not risking it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:56 am 

Just to say my order from LampCo was confirmed this morning and I have changed the delivery to collection by hand, which is brilliant news.

I am visiting them next Friday (11th December) so if you want to have one of the remaining SLI lamps, but do not want to risk the courier, I can order and hand-collect some more on your behalf.

I don't mind paying for them in advance, because if you change your mind later on and decide you don't want one, I can't imagine their value will fall in years to come and I'm sure somebody else might want to buy one!

As for delivering them to you guys, again I'm sure an opportunity will arise to do this by hand. I plan to visit A C Ford's in Dudley (Birmingham) sometime soon to pick up a few more brackets. I will probably wait until my contact has got me a spare GR150 bowl, as Stelmer's (Leeds) isn't too far on from there, and I will arrange to collect the brackets and deliver his bowl in one go (assuming Stelmer hasn't sourced one already?). I also need to pass by Phosco's area (or possibly meet him half way) at some point in the future - to deliver him his P225, but again we are holding out for a P157 bowl and possibly a salvaged Alpha Six lantern, else a deep bowl from one. I don't know if that is any help to some of you guys geographically? With any luck it will get around the courier issue with the SLI bulbs?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:59 am 

David wrote:
Just to say my order from LampCo was confirmed this morning and I have changed the delivery to collection by hand, which is brilliant news.

I am visiting them next Friday (11th December) so if you want to have one of the remaining SLI lamps, but do not want to risk the courier, I can order and hand-collect some more on your behalf.

I don't mind paying for them in advance, because if you change your mind later on and decide you don't want one, I can't imagine their value will fall in years to come and I'm sure somebody else might want to buy one!

As for delivering them to you guys, again I'm sure an opportunity will arise to do this by hand. I plan to visit A C Ford's in Dudley (Birmingham) sometime soon to pick up a few more brackets. I will probably wait until my contact has got me a spare GR150 bowl, as Stelmer's (Leeds) isn't too far on from there, and I will arrange to collect the brackets and deliver his bowl in one go (assuming Stelmer hasn't sourced one already?). I also need to pass by Phosco's area (or possibly meet him half way) at some point in the future - to deliver him his P225, but again we are holding out for a P157 bowl and possibly a salvaged Alpha Six lantern, else a deep bowl from one. I don't know if that is any help to some of you guys geographically? With any luck it will get around the courier issue with the SLI bulbs?

David, you are a true gentleman. I wish everyone was like you!!!

PM sent.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:01 pm 

phosco152 and I may do a trip up Essex way anyway.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:39 am 

That is brilliant!

I think I'm going to go for it, and ask for one of the SLI lamps for now. It's not I'll be using it much anyway! I'm only just down the Road from Stelmer so isn't a problem.

Obviously there's no rush at the moment, as I don't have any SLI lanterns or former SLI lanterns for the lamp to go in.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 am 

mazeteam wrote:
I'm only just down the Road from Stelmer so isn't a problem.

Obviously there's no rush at the moment, as I don't have any SLI lanterns or former SLI lanterns for the lamp to go in.

Just to say you might need to rush if you want one! I admit it's a tough call if you're unsure whether you'll be acquiring a SLI lantern sometime in the future, especially considering the high price of the SLI bulb.

The stock level advertised on their web site the other night (six) was indeed correct. After ordering mine on Tuesday night (ordering two to reduce the unit cost to from £46.50 plus VAT to £42.08 plus VAT), and then calling them yesterday to add another for Stelmer, it meant there were just three left. This was confirmed to me by their employee John Bartlett.

Feel free to PM me if you want one. Assuming no-one else has bought the last few, I'll just add another to our order and bring it up with me when next visiting Stelmer. As we are buying more than one, we can take advantage of the bulk order price reduction. The unit cost including VAT is still £48.39 unfortunately, but it's nearly £17 cheaper that ordering one on its own and having to pay postage on top (£64.98).

As with Stelmer's one, I don't mind paying for it in advance and then accepting cash on delivery when I get to Stelmer's. Even if you do order one now, but change your mind and decide against it, it's no worries to me as I'll just store it at home. I'm sure someone will want to buy one sometime in the future!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:30 am 

Thank you David.

I thought i'd never see a SLI lamp in real life, let alone have one that works, though at that price and rarity, I will not use it much!!!!

In the meantime, we have 5 years to stock up on MBF lamps as they're being banned in 2015.

Just a question about ballasts.

I have a GEC-Z9465 with internal gear. It has a huge ballast with 4 terminals on it. I originally thought it was an internal-ignitor ballast. Is there any chance of it being  a leak transformer? I might need a Leak Transformer to go with it.

Last edited by Stelmer on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:02 pm 

No worries Stelmer. I should have PM'd you last night, but when I got in my Orange Livebox stubbornly refused to work! I'm hopeful my contact will have a GR150 bowl next time I see him. He's always hinting that he's close to getting one!

Stelmer wrote:
In the meantime, we have 5 years to stock up on MBF lamps as they're being banned in 2015.

Oh heck, that will ruin my avatar and force a bulk-replacement of Clacton's GEC Z5640s and Z5670s (a few hundred of the mercury-running variants are still going, with some approaching 60 years old!). With any luck, they'll invent a SON retrofit for the 80w mercury bulb (as far as I know, they only do them from 125w to 400w at the moment).

Stelmer wrote:
I have a GEC-Z9455 with internal gear. It has a huge ballast with 4 terminals on it. I originally thought it was an internal-ignitor ballast. Is there any chance of it being a leak transformer?

That would be fantastic if it was, but I have no idea and you'll have to ask the experts on here! When sotonsteve mentioned that you need the leak transformer gear and not the ignitor gear to power it up, the first thing I did was to check my 90w SOX lanterns to see if any didn't have an ignitor, but I had no luck there. My contact recently took down a GEC Z9465 from Clacton (same as yours, internal gear but side entry, installed in the mid-1980s, and puzzlingly no G.E.C. logo impression in the top) and he would like to sell it to me. My decision to buy might hinge on whether I could use the gear for SLI sometime in the future and mount more modern gear in the Z9465 instead!

Stelmer wrote:
I might need a Leak Transformer to go with it.

Funnily enough I'm in the same position and will need some help with this. Phosco has kindly offered to keep an eye out for me, and in the East Anglian discussion thread, mazeteam and sotonsteve say there can still be found in old column bases or in the scrap bins of local depots.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:20 pm 

Incidentally, google has revealed that 200w SLI lamps can be run using a 125w Fluorescent ballast and starter switch.

Not sure on that one yet though.

Profile  Personal album