It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: SLI lamps
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:57 am 

No worries Stelmer.

It sounds like you've got all the gear and the expertise needed for SLI, so feel free to power up your lamp when I bring it to you :-)

As for an Alpha Six to put it in, that's probably going to need a second trip later on, and possibly continued good fortune as well!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:18 am 

I'll have to crudely wire up the SLI tube when you bring it to me as I don't think you'll have yours wired up yet and you'll be itching to see it light up.

I read earlier that a starter switch is not needed as the 2 pins are linked in the lamp caps. That'll simplify the wiring allot.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:30 am 

You can use T12 type fluorescent lampholders to connect to the SLI lamps... I know, as phosco152 had a half dozen that I gave him for the Alpha 5 project. AH.... if only I could remember which box the box of T12 lampholders is in!! :lol:

Oh, moving house is F U N  :!:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:43 am 

Was going to use the old method seen on pin terminal capacitors but might as well request if anyone has 2 T12 caps spare?

Me and mains are good friends. We know that we can bend the rules every now and again but there's also a mutual respect that we share for each other.... ;)

I've also got an ingenious method of connecting the lamp to the ballast without rewiring anything. I have one of them bayonet sockets that were the cause of many disasters, handy for such a test.

It's only used for test purposes. Never left unattended and always plugged into an RCD as we have fuses not breakers still.

I will video the ''ressurection'' of this lamp from it's almost 3 decade slumber. Then again, is it advised to let it run for a few hours as it will not have been used for so long.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:59 am 
Site Administration

It is SOH lamps with the detachable outer vacuum tube which must be run for several hours if they haven't been used for some time. SOX and SLI lamps are immune from this.

For 140W SLI, one of the wires on the ballast marked "lamp" goes to one end of the tube, the other lamp wire to the other end. Both pins on one end of the lamp should be connected together.

If you can't find lamp holders, a "bodge" is to use bog standard terminal strip. The smaller sizes should match the pin pitch, just don't go mad tightening the screws.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:45 am 

Phosco152 wrote:
If you can't find lamp holders, a "bodge" is to use bog standard terminal strip. The smaller sizes should match the pin pitch, just don't go mad tightening the screws.

That's how I've seen it done in Africa! Two wires hanging from the ceiling, a couple of terminal blocks and a fluorescent tube. It may not be the proper use for terminal blocks, but it works well!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:37 am 

This is a sight you don't see every day!

These were picked up from LampCo yesterday (one for Stelmer, one for Mazeteam, one for the GEC Z9517 and one for the Alpha Six. The boxes are covered in dust, and the sellotape has perished on most of them, but apart from that the lamps (in the boxes I've opened) look as good as new!

Just in case anyone else wants to order one, LampCo have 7 left.

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:48 pm 
Site Administration

The boxes are the same as sotonsteve's and my lamps. My lamps have a date code of 22 which acccording to this date calculator gives Oct 67, 75 or 83. Given that early SLI lamps had a more red than violet colour at turn on, I suspect it is 75 or more likely 83 - unused "late" stock.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:34 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
The boxes are the same as sotonsteve's and my lamps. My lamps have a date code of 22 which acccording to this date calculator gives Oct 67, 75 or 83. Given that early SLI lamps had a more red than violet colour at turn on, I suspect it is 75 or more likely 83 - unused "late" stock.

Heck, I hope they're the violet ones. I might have to go back and exchange them!

Thank you for that link to the date calculator. I've just had a look and was a bit confused by my batch of lamps and their numbers. Three have Thorn labels and one has a Thorn EMI label. Two of the Thorns are stamped 2202 (October 1975 or more likely October 1983 as you suggest, I'm assuming it's the first two numbers you enter into the calculator).

The other Thorn (at the back of the picture) is stamped 0372, so from the calculator you linked to that's March '74 or more likely March '82.

The Thorn EMI has a code of 0722 (July '74 or July '82).

This web site suggests the change in gases which changed the start-up colour from red to voilet happened "shortly after" 1980. I hope the March '82 one was late enough to have the new technology!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:45 pm 
Site Administration

Yes they should be the violet ones. On start up they really are spectacular. Unlike a SOX lamps which gradually goes yellow, SLI goes yellow in patches first and the violet sort of flashes as it warms.

Profile  Personal album