It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: SLI lamps
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:58 pm 

Stelmer wrote:
Incidentally, google has revealed that 200w SLI lamps can be run using a 125w Fluorescent ballast and starter switch.

There will be a clamour for LampCo's remaining 200w SLI lamps next. I think LampCo are already a little puzzled as to the sudden surge in popularity of their 140w SLI lamps!

I must admit I'll be happy with powering up just the 140w version in my lantern. After all, it is only for display purposes. I don't intend lighting the road outside my house to motorway standards!

If the above is confirmed and you genuinely do want a 200w version to power up (I believe LampCo still have some), I can put it on order with your other one, and bring it up to you at a future date.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:52 pm 
Random avatar

Shame there £40+ per lamp or i would have had one   :(  For an alpha 6/5 if i ever get one

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:59 pm 

If they're old enough and haven't lost their labelling/printing, the appropriate leak transformers will state on them that they're suitable for use with 140w SLI lamps.

A couple of years ago, I was in a street lighting stores in Yorkshire and happened to ask about SLI-H lamps. The man I was talking to said that he still got one in stock and very kindly gave it to me, which was super. However, he then added that they no longer needed it, as they'd just taken their last SLI street lamp out of service. So I got the lamp, but missed out on the lantern!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:36 pm 

I'll have a look in my GEC Z9465.

EDIT:

It has no label.

I wrote the writing on it so I knew how to wire it back up. It's exactly how I got it and I think the cap is wrong.

Any info or a photo of a label would be useful as the lantern does have issues striking the bulb.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:56 pm 
Site Administration

1. 125w fluoresecent ballast is 125w not 200w, so I very much doubt it will work on 200w SLI. This has been discussed at length on the Yahoo lighting forum. There is no direct replacement for a purpose designed 200w SLI ballast. Lamp voltage and current will be wrong. 125w fluorescent ballast will run 125w MBF ok.

2. 9465 ballast -  4 terminals may be leak gear or multi-tapped ignitor gear. The only way to tell is look at the wiring diagram on the ballast. If it says 2 wires for lamp (and one ISN'T a neutral) will be Leak. 1 wire to lamp, one of which IS a neutral, will be ignitor gear. Have you not powered up this ballast then?

EDIT: That looks like a Leak ballast. Normally capacitor (except for 180w sox leak gear) is connected across L and N. It isn't in your case. Disconnect both leads of the capacitor entirely. If lamp then lights ok, ballast markings are wrong and connect capacitor direct across supply L and N.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:17 pm 

Cheers for that.

The 125w thing was a random google tag and I just wanted to know if it was true...

As for my ballast, the original label is not there. I wrote on it so I knew where the wires went and what value the capacitor is as that is faded.

Dates from 1983.

There's 6 terminals:

Top to bottom:

Lamp
Capacitor
Neutral In
Missed out
Live in and Capacitor
Lamp

I have powered it up and it only works on some lamps. Also works without the capacitor connected and has a PF of .28.

I reconnected it across L&N and it is now 0.84. I would like to know what the label said :(

EDIT:

It draws 142w or 175VA at full power.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:35 pm 
Site Administration

Refer back to my post. I suspect the capacitor labelling is wrong. Try it with a lamp and it wired as you had it. If the lamp fails to strike, disconnect the mains, then the capacitor entirely and try again. If the lamp lights this time capacitor wiring is wrong. Turn off and reconnect capacitor direct across L and N.

No capacitor PF, with capacitor PF and total circuit power values are about right.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:44 pm 

There's no wiring diagram to refer to inside the lantern.  The writing on the capacitor is faded manufacturer information and is 25mfd.

Just tried it again with my new bulb and it works no matter how the capacitor is wired and emits a purple glow from the electrodes on startup. I've left the capacitor wired across L&N.

My other bulb must be on it's way out.

Power consumption has dropped to 120w now with the new lamp.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:39 am 

Stelmer wrote:
In the meantime, we have 5 years to stock up on MBF lamps as they're being banned in 2015.

Looks like we'll have to raid the lucky dip bins at AMEY!! :lol:  :lol:
Out of the lamps I've tested from our previous trip, one didn't work... I still have a fair few to test though.

David wrote:
Oh heck, that will ruin my avatar and force a bulk-replacement of Clacton's GEC Z5640s and Z5670s (a few hundred of the mercury-running variants are still going, with some approaching 60 years old!). With any luck, they'll invent a SON retrofit for the 80w mercury bulb (as far as I know, they only do them from 125w to 400w at the moment).

You never know, they may get converted to CFL!!

Quote:
Stelmer wrote:
I might need a Leak Transformer to go with it.

Funnily enough I'm in the same position and will need some help with this. Phosco has kindly offered to keep an eye out for me, and in the East Anglian discussion thread, mazeteam and sotonsteve say there can still be found in old column bases or in the scrap bins of local depots.

Yes. I have two Leak Transformers for 90w SOX (the ones we'd need for the SLI's), and both came from column bases... one's a GEC that's being used in my Z9454 (now 9464 because it's geared)* and the other is an ancient revo thing that weighs 10kg or more - I found it when I wandered around former Northern Electric land at Osbaldwick and they had three old concrete columns lying on the ground, one with door still on. I opened the door and inside was an ants nest and this leak transformer. I have no idea if it works and have only got stubs of the wires in the terminals so I'll have to guess how it's wired up, but unless I get any other LT's then it's the one I'll have to use.

But to David, YES i would like one of the SLI lamps... THANKS :mrgreen:

* - my GEC LT looks an awful lot like the one Stelmer has pictured...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:52 am 

mazeteam wrote:
My GEC LT looks an awful lot like the one Stelmer has pictured...

Can I have a picture of the label, if at all possible?

Profile  Personal album