It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: SLI lamps
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:18 pm 

I've got 3 or 4 of these 140w SLIs plus a couple of 200w SLI tubes as well; I'll have to take a closer look at them now you mention colours. The 200w tubes are GEC, I don't know if that makes a difference, although, physically the 140w and 200w are of the same dimensions.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:55 pm 

Thorn also did a 200w SLI. Whilst the 140w SLI had a four-leaf clover cross section, the 200w SLI had a five-leaf clover cross section. Meanwhile, the GEC 160w and 200w SLI lamps had the half-moon cross section that alternated in a wiggly line, if you get what I mean.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:12 pm 

I've read about them on Lamptech and it's interesting.

Are they in effect, 4 tubes in one for the 140w or is it just a design feature of the arc tube?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:22 pm 
Site Administration

It is a single arc tube of 4 limb cross section, there are pictures on Lamptech.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:22 pm 

Stelmer wrote:
I've read about them on Lamptech and it's interesting.

Are they in effect, 4 tubes in one for the 140w or is it just a design feature of the arc tube?

When I say four-leaf clover, it kind of looks a bit like a "+" when viewed in cross section, except a rounded +. It was Thorn's way of increasing the cross sectional area of the arc tube.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:43 pm 

To the little man in our lamp design department who came up with the brilliant idea of the cloverleaf cross-sectional tube for our SLI tubes; what a splendid idea. ...Oh, By the way, your job is redundant, don't bother clocking out.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:39 am 

I really didn't know about the red start up of the rarer earlier version. However, though I think if possible I'd still like one with a lilac startup colour if possible... since lampco have a few (!) more left that thought, I may have a long and hard think about it and maybe in the future spend out a bit more for hopefully an early example...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:29 pm 
Site Administration

Well it is not as conclusive as I thought. My 4 lamps below:

Three 02, one 22.

72 - Dec 71,79 or 87
22 - Oct 67, 75 or 83
02 - Feb 66, 74 or 82

The 22, 3rd from left looks pinkish whilst the others are more yellow. Ironically under some light conditions it looks more green and the other three slightly pink...  :? Anyway I powered up one of the "yellow" ones just to check and it started lilac. Looks like the only way to know for sure will be to power them all up.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:12 pm 

Thank you for your post and showing us a photo of your own SLI lamps.

It's good to hear you also have some "yellow-coloured" lamps date-stamped with 02, and they fire up a lilac colour. As I've got two of those yellow-coloured 02 ones, that means I should have at least two that fire up a lilac colour, and they all must date from February 1982. If they were from the only other possible dates - February 1974 or February 1966, they would fire up red.

The 'pink' one you have, date-stamped 22, is the one that I interpreted as having a turquoise colour. Having said that, I didn't even notice the lamps actually had different colours until I looked at a photo of them! Even though your 22-stamped bulb definitely looks pink in your photo, at the end of your bulb just under the 140W label there is a turquoise area, instead of the yellow colour of your other bulbs. Perhaps if I zoomed out on my photo, mine would look pink too!

In conclusion, I think your 22-stamped bulb and my 22-stamped bulb are from the same batch as they both have slightly turquoise ends. Feel free to fire that one up too if you have a spare moment, so you can tell us what colour that one fires up! If it fires up lilac, we'll know it's from October 1983. If it fires up red, it's from October 1967 or October 1975. My money's on October 1983.

The last bulb I have has 72 on it. If between us we are lucky enough to have a bulb that fires up in the old red colours, my money is on this one, because the more recent date of December 1987 is surely too late for SLI lamp production? I have a figure of 1986 in my head for when production ceased, but I may be wrong. The date before December 1987 would be December 1979, which was clearly before the gas change that happened "shortly after 1980" and gave the SLI bulbs their new, distinctive lilac start-up colours, according to the LampTech site.

I guess the only way we'll definitely know is when we fire it up for the first time in the new year. I can't wait! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:58 pm 
Site Administration

Well when I tested them last year they all fired up purple. The pink tube did look a bit green when I first laid it out in the garage. The picture is taken under fluorescent lighting so that may have an effect on how the coatings look. Powering them up will tell us for sure.

Profile  Personal album