It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:20 pm 

mazeteam wrote:
do you mean the tiny little ones with 2 pins on them, come in 10w, 20w and 50w versions? as I have three lights that take 10w capsule lamps... believe it or not, they're emergency lights and really effective as they're brighter running off the battery pack than when running from a 12v torodial transformer!

I'll have to fish them out, as they're in a box somewhere - I know the box with the inverter and battery packs is up on the storage deck, but I packed the lights seperately.

Aye, there the ones. I think they have 2 "fish hook" pins on them.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:07 am 

And you're definately not thinking of the G9 Halogen capsule lamps that run at 230v and are commonly rated at 40w? (like the one I fitted into the converted light fitting of my ceiling fan)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:46 am 

Come to think of it Chris,  G9 capsuals. I think this is what i ment.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 am 

:lol: well no wonder I got confused! :lol:

I thought C9 was some sort of special lamp base I've never seen before!

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: SLI lamps
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:37 pm 

Whilst we are on the subject of lamps, I read somewhere that the 5 foot 80w BC Flo tube ceased production in the late 80's.

I wonder if anywhere still has some in stock?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:02 pm 
Site Administration

I have moved this here as it was located in a thread which was about SLI lamps. it is more appropriate for it to be in this thread.

Although I was aware of the info from the Lamptech article - it was this war time prudence in designing the 5ft 80w tube that would lead to its demise from streetlighting service by the 1970s due to the relative inefficiency of the 5ft (and 8ft 125w tubes). I wonder if the Europeans rated their tubes the same as the British in the 40s and 50s or went straight to the optimum rating for a 5ft T12 tube of 65w and 100w for a 8ft tube?

A 5ft (1500mm) T8 tube is of course rated at 56w nowadays and with modern phosphors the light output will be far greater than its wartime equivalent.

It is has also just clicked (it's been a long week - it feels half like half past Thursday when its really only quarter to Thursday.. :lol:) why I remember as a kid seeing fluorescent tube starters marked 65/80w and 100/125w. I never actually saw a 80w 5ft tube they were always 65w and likewise 8ft tubes were always it seems 100w. The starters were of course marked for the older lamp rating which I guess, as Lamptech states, were still around in the 1970s. Do modern glow starters still have these "older" ratings on them? I don't have one to hand.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:31 am 

Yes, glow starters are still marked up to 125w. I think the EFS600 electronic pulse starters are as well, but I CBA to go downstairs now and look at the one on the kitchen table to find out!

(complete off-topic here... but the cooker died earlier this week - kept tripping the RCD even when nothing was operating. new cooker comes tomorrow so I've been stripping out the old one today. I was wondering why, when the "oven and hob light" button was pressed, the fluorescent 15w tube for the hob started instantly (regardless of whether a glow starter was used or a certain EFS600 electronic puls starterwas used, which is now sitting on the kitchen table)... on stripping out the cooker I found out - it was using the 100w filament light for the oven as a ballast, on the Neutral!)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:02 pm 

There seems to be no slowing down with terms of Mercury street lighting in Australia. They are used so commonly and are even being used in certain new installations as well. I can only guess though that Mercury gets discontinued here too.  :shock:  :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:13 am 
Random avatar

streetlightmaster wrote:
There seems to be no slowing down with terms of Mercury street lighting in Australia. They are used so commonly and are even being used in certain new installations as well. I can only guess though that Mercury gets discontinued here too.  :shock:  :?

Why do they still use mercury when more efficient options like CFL and Cosmopolis are on the market which give out a better quality white light? Seems daft to me and I love mercury lighting!  :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:45 am 

Gramma6 wrote:
streetlightmaster wrote:

Why do they still use mercury when more efficient options like CFL and Cosmopolis are on the market which give out a better quality white light? Seems daft to me and I love mercury lighting!  :?

I'm not sure at all it's quite strange they also mix with SON on the main roads as well, ie you see 3 mercury lamps, then a SON lamp, then a mercury lamp, and a SON lamp. It's confusing.  :shock: