It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:54 pm 

Well ive tested all the lamps that i have got from the depot sadly two don't work but these shall be tested again shortly.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:15 pm 
Site Administration

David wrote:

For those of you who have fluorescent lanterns in your collection, it's also worth noting that the 'chunky' T12 fluorescent tubes are not being made any more, and stocks of these are now gradually dying out. So it might be time to stock up on T12 tubes (if you haven't already), as I'm sure a fluorescent survivor won't look anywhere near as good with T8 and T5 tubes!

Yes, I have vintage quick start 4ft fluorescents in the garage which won't work with T8 tubes. I have a suitable stock of T12 tubes... :)  In fact Homebase were still selling Philips T12s last year. I haven't checked if they still do them.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 pm 

You can still get the T8 lamps from Wilkos, unfortunatly i cannot remember the price.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:58 am 

At the moment I expect that would be the case, as T8's aren't being phased out for a while. T12's on the other hand...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:33 pm 

Now the 60 watt has gone: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/say-goodbye-to-60-watt-lightbulbs-.html . In September next year the 40w and 25w will go, so it means that I'll have to get a stockpile of 25w lamps for my festive festoon which should last me for another 5 - 10 years.

I am thinking that in September 2013 the MBF lamp will be phased out so our target to stockpile the last lot of MBF's will be until this time in 2 years.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:29 am 

well, I tried a MBF lamp I had classed as 'dim' inside a QSM I temporarily converted, and it came out pretty damn well - so I may keep the 'dim' box to use in reflector luminaires.

Quote:
It has been claimed that lighting alternatives are more costly and trigger health problems for people with light-sensitive medical conditions, possibly causing them migraines and seizures.

They do... during secondary school and for a few years after that, fluorescent lighting did trigger migraines for me. It started in 2008 after returning to school in Autumn... a new mobile phone mast has been added on top of the boiler house. I'm leaving my thoughts at that, but you can make up your own conclusions if you like....

Quote:
The European Commission explained why phasing out the light bulb, which has been around since the 19th century, is necessary. Energy Commissioner Andris Piebalgs said: “This groundbreaking measure delivers a clear message about the EU's commitment to reach its energy efficiency and climate protection targets. By replacing last century lamps by more performant technologies, European homes will keep the same quality of lighting, while saving energy, CO2 and money.”

all this climate chang and CO2 savings crap is really starting to p*** me off. It's all well and good nagging at people that they need to change things to stop a made-up threat from happening - but when you start forcing people against their will to change things then you've overstepped the mark. And that's what is happening here.... Standard lightbulbs are popular because they do the job - you can put them in a dimmer-controlled light and they don't blow up; the ratings are a piece of p*** - want an ambient light, get 40w, brighter for living rooms, 60w, garage or for areas where light is really needed get a hundred watter; and the price was right. Sure we don't care if they went after just over a year of normal use, because you'd get a few in pack for a quid. The domestic energy saver lamps do not give out the lumens they claim to give out, you don't get the instant 100% light output like you get from a lightbulb, they contain mercury, they contain a PCB and semiconductors which can (and have) malfunction - and these ingredients mean it is prohibited to thrown the spent lamps in the bin, you have to take it to an authorised disposal contractor who charges for the privelege. The energy saver lamps cost more, disposing of them costs more, you ned more to get the same light and so more money spent... all of this gets 20% tax which goes to central government (of which they probably are backhanding our evil overlords The EU to impose such bans) and so if more money is spent buying the replacement stuff then that means more tax.
The energy efficiency thing gets my goat too... like I've posted on that article, you can make a washing machine energy efficient if you take out the heating element: "Look! a new efficient washer uses only 45 watts of power instead of 2000" - does it do the job? no. Efficiency, when stripped of any other meanings organisations bolt-on to it, simply means getting the same or better performance for less input.... if you're getting the same or better output for less input then it isn't efficiency, it's downgrading.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:56 am 

Due to massive negative public response, Canada's ban on tungsten lamps has been postponed to 2014. And the US state of Texas has repealed the US Fedral law - it will allow the manufacture and sale of tungsten lamps - not that any lamps are manufacturered there at the moment.

This all boils down to the fundamental problems that CFLs are not yet direct replacements for GLS.

In the meantime, stockpile!

All the best,
Simon

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:00 am 

In the meantime, SOX has already become a museum piece:

http://www.sciencegallery.com/elements/sodium-na
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sciencegallery/6029044808/

I've lent the Science Museum a GEC Z9481 on an ELECO bracket. I did not write the blurb.

All the best,
Simon

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:27 pm 

I like that museum piece! good to see a bit of formal recognition for it too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:12 pm 
Site Administration

Simon Cornwell wrote:
In the meantime, SOX has already become a museum piece:

http://www.sciencegallery.com/elements/sodium-na
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sciencegallery/6029044808/

I've lent the Science Museum a GEC Z9481 on an ELECO bracket. I did not write the blurb.

All the best,
Simon

The lantern really suits that bracket and it really goes to show how endangered SOX is becoming.

Profile  Personal album