It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:41 am 

I take it that 25 W Pygmys will still be available? If not I'll stock up on some as I have an unused fitting that takes them.

Where I work in an independent biscuit factory, I did explain to the management that the T12s we use to illuminate the place and T8s in the warehouse won't be available eventually and they'll be having to shell out approximately fifty quid for an LED version of it. Luckily they have about 12 T12 / T8 tubes left. It will be a while until they have to upgrade, only one of the tubes went last year.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:10 pm 

I do wonder how much longer the SOX lamp will have left in production. In terms of energy efficiency it no longer stands out as being the best. Combine this with monochromatic light output, very few lanterns being available for it, lamps being relatively expensive, lamps not dimmable and larger lamps only being available with electromagnetic gear, and things don't look particularly great.

Most at risk is 135W and 180W SOX. As far as I know, the Philips SRS201 is the only lantern in Europe still in production for these lamps. They can only be operated on electromagnetic control gear, which is falling out of favour, and they cost significantly more than SON lamps. Very few councils in the UK are still purchasing SRS201s as casual replacements, and we have seen some councils stop purchasing 180W lamps and put 135W lamps in 180W lanterns. Belgium and the Netherlands are SOX strongholds, but like the UK both countries have practically stopped purchasing new lanterns. The Netherlands uses relatively little 180W SOX. Belgium is the biggest user of 180W SOX by far, but their lighting is in relatively poor condition.

I suspect lamps will remain in production a bit longer, even if in 5 years time they are only supplying Belgium. But essentially they are only still in production because of the sheer quantity of SOX installations remaining, as essentially they are the modern day equivalent of the SLI lamp, except much more common.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:20 pm 
Site Administration

I can't remember where  I saw it, but I believe electronic ballasts are available from China for 135/180W SOX. However it is highly unlikely that retrofits would occur in the UK given the age of the lanterns and the other issues mentioned such as the monochromatic light - which is no longer favoured by the British Standards - although they are only advisory not mandatory.

China does use 135/180W SOX, but like many things over there, they have their own production lines.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:13 am 
Random avatar
I can see the end of manufacture for SON and Iridium 1s being close, since everyone is talking about LED these days and it is seen as a better method of streetlighting. As for Iridiums, they have been on the go since 2006. Retirement?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:18 pm 

J T wrote:
I can see the end of manufacture for SON and Iridium 1s being close, since everyone is talking about LED these days and it is seen as a better method of streetlighting. As for Iridiums, they have been on the go since 2006. Retirement?

SON will be around for many years yet. It is the most common high intensity discharge lamp in the world. As for the Iridium, it has been around since 2000. Philips are unlikely to discontinue it any time soon, seeing as it is one of their most popular products, and the product it replaced (SGS203) is still in production and has been on the market for over 30 years.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:50 pm 
Site Administration

T12 fluorescent lamps are now just about extinct in the shops to buy for domestic use, however one use where they seem to be going strong is for lighting of railway carriages.

Surprisingly, SWT's 455s still use bare 4ft 40W T12 tubes. They are made in Germany by Sylvania. Presumably they must be made to special order. Other rolling stock - for instance 158/159s, used T8 tubes from new, I assume the reason for sticking with T12s is that the gear won't run T8s. A T8 tube has a higher starting voltage which isn't always compatible with some older types of resonant start magnetic gear or older electronic ballasts.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 pm 

I think Northern's fleet uses the same 4ft 40W T12 tubes, these are bare in the 156s and in some 150s and since the north won't see any brand new units, it does make me wonder how long they can keep the lighting going for as I know that Serco and Albellio won't want to be spending cash upgrading the almost obsolete tubes.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:08 pm 
Random avatar

They may possibly switch to LEDs? I have seen some FGW 150's with retro-fitted LED tubes. They are incredibly bright to look at, but only have LEDs on one side, so some are facing the ceiling only. Gives a weird subdued look.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:08 am 
Random avatar

I took the last two 6ft T12s and last three 4fts off our old style hardware shop last week, they said they won't be getting any more in and have even replaced theirs in the downstairs with T5s which really don't suit the rest of the shop.  I might get a few off the internet to keep my old Thorn pop packs going some longer.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:23 pm 

Thanks for the tip off Mike...

With the fast approaching mercury lamp ban, Sylvania have launched a retrofit ceramic metal halide lamp for use on mercury control gear. The lamps come in three sizes with ES caps, are elliptical coated lamps, and have the appearance of a mercury lamp crossed with a domestic CFL, given the presence of a housing which contains some electronic circuitry. Here are some comparisons:

80W MBFU (3600Lm) -> 55W Relumina (4500Lm)
125W MBFU (6200Lm) -> 85W Relumina (7500Lm)
250W MBFU (12700Lm) -> 170W Relumina (15000Lm)

The smaller Relumina lamps are 62mm diameter by 178mm length, compared with 71/76mm diameter and 155/173mm length for mercury lamps. The large Relumina lamp is 87mm diameter by 228mm length, compared with 91mm diameter and 226mm length. Hence, even though they have a strange shape due to the integral circuitry, their size is similar.

No doubt these lamps cost a lot more than mercury lamps, but Sylvania suggest that they should pay back their cost within 6000 hours of use.

Profile  Personal album