It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: LED failures
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:41 pm 
Random avatar

Using where I live is a brilliant example, is anybody else seeing new LEDs that are already failing to live up to their "25" year predicted lifespans? I'm not talking about individual faults but whole sets on the same street that are loosing half their diodes or just not standing up to Britain lovely weather etc. I'll get pictures as and when I can to show examples of what I mean.

Post subject: Re: LED failures
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:31 pm 

Yep, I have seen LED failures.

The examples I have seen have been Lumas and Stela Longs. In the case of Lumas, I have seen examples where a proportion (a third to half) of the LEDs in the array have failed. I haven't seen a huge number of failures in relation to the number of lanterns installed.

On the other hand, the Stela Long seems to have notable reliability issues. I noted recently how of all the Stela Longs in Above Bar Street in Southampton that most lanterns have at least one LED in the array that is failing or no longer working.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:59 pm 
Site Administration

I wonder what the guarantee period is? Do manufacturers guarantee a 25 year life and replace free of charge those which fail before that time, or do they only offer a 1 or 3 year "standard" warranty period?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:18 pm 
Random avatar

To be honest I don't think I've *ever* seen a failed LED lantern, and as soon as I spy that horrible cold blue-white light I'm already in tune to what's happening and who is using what etc.

I think overall LED is still too young for us to know how good it's going to be. When we can get to 30+ years down the line, and still see entire counties being lit by these technologies (as is the case in Glasgow with its swathes of decades old Thorn and GEC SOX stock) then we can talk. Until then its purely speculation on everyone's part, even the manufacturers who claim these 25 year lifespans - unless LED was invented 25+ years ago and they just kept it a secret..!  :lol:  :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:40 pm 
Random avatar

I have a Stela Long and indeed it has failed similar to those described.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:43 pm 
Random avatar

There's been a load of duff Amperas as part of the Plymouth replacement scheme. Some failcompletely off while others are just glowing very slightly! There are also others which appear to have drivers programmed incorrectly and run dimmer than they should. What these LED lanterns do bring to the industry is an almost infinitely variety of wattages and driver current ratings. How on earth this will pan out in the long run when it comes to repairs is anyone's guess. No doubt replacing the whole lantern will be the norm!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm 

versalift09 wrote:
There's been a load of duff Amperas as part of the Plymouth replacement scheme. Some failcompletely off while others are just glowing very slightly! There are also others which appear to have drivers programmed incorrectly and run dimmer than they should. What these LED lanterns do bring to the industry is an almost infinitely variety of wattages and driver current ratings. How on earth this will pan out in the long run when it comes to repairs is anyone's guess. No doubt replacing the whole lantern will be the norm!

Well, bearing in mind how many ZX1s and ZX3s with Harvard electronic ballasts appeared in the scrap bins at the former local lighting depot before the PFI, complete lantern replacement will most likely be the norm. Even quick release gear trays didn't save these modern SON lanterns. Of greater concern is the replacements specified. This is not so much of a problem where a council specifies only a couple of differently specified variants for the whole city, but where lighting has been fine tuned you can guarantee they will just pull whatever is on the shelf off the shelf, rather than replacing like for like. For example, there is a motorway lantern swap scheme just about to happen near me. Where there used to be three variants of lighting (single optic ZX4, twin optic ZX4, 600W Sapphire 3) there will now be 13 different variants of Luma 3, with different lumen packages and optical arrangements.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:15 pm 
Random avatar

Its definitely early days but I really do find some councils to be rather eager to jump on the bandwagon of "saving money" without doing some serious research.

The borough of Wigan (where I live) is a great example. Old SGS203s sent to for scrap and they installed some LED Lanterns (I haven't looked into their names as of yet) and already I see failed lanterns at night and day burners shining 24/7.

I don't hate LED as a light source but it still can't compare to discharge as of yet . My neighbouring borough however (Skelmersdale) is a lot slower on the LED front, amassing a total of zero as of now and only doing replacements where they really really have to, either due to increased common sense or lack of any funding, either way they don't use LED at all yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:49 pm 
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:
Yep, I have seen LED failures.

The examples I have seen have been Lumas and Stela Longs. In the case of Lumas, I have seen examples where a proportion (a third to half) of the LEDs in the array have failed. I haven't seen a huge number of failures in relation to the number of lanterns installed.

On the other hand, the Stela Long seems to have notable reliability issues. I noted recently how of all the Stela Longs in Above Bar Street in Southampton that most lanterns have at least one LED in the array that is failing or no longer working.

I second that - in Sheffield I've seen Stela Wides with just a third of their LEDs illuminated and some Luma 2s with half of their LEDs out (split diagonally in a bit of a zig-zag pattern). Thankfully Amey were pretty swift in getting them swapped out or repaired. I imagine the Telecells are able to detect and report a drop in power being drawn.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:11 am 
Random avatar

I have a Stela Long and indeed it has failed similar to those described.