It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Davis/Eleco Control Gear
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:28 am 

Hi all,

Last time I was at the council depot I picked up a Davis Thyractor ballast. Now my experience of these has been poor in the past. I must of had about 10 of these in my collection at various times and all I get is a red flash from the tube then nothing. So you can imagine my disappointment when this one did the same.....bugger. So whilst I was putting the other stuff away on the shelf I spotted one at the back of my collection. I haven't dated it so I wasn't too sure if it would work. I wired it up and hey it works. Has anyone noticed a high failure rate with these?

Regards,

Andrew

Attachments:
20160605_111729.jpg
20160605_111729.jpg [ 562.58 KiB | Viewed 15376 times ]
20160605_111723.jpg
20160605_111723.jpg [ 697.71 KiB | Viewed 15375 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:21 pm 

I have one of these. I saved it from an old column in Nottinghamshire about 3-4 years ago. Although it's only used occasionally, it's always worked fine, and has been wired up to my ex Rochdale Wardle 'Solar' for at least two years .

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:08 pm 

meppso wrote:
Hi all,

Last time I was at the council depot I picked up a Davis Thyractor ballast. Now my experience of these has been poor in the past. I must of had about 10 of these in my collection at various times and all I get is a red flash from the tube then nothing. So you can imagine my disappointment when this one did the same.....bugger. So whilst I was putting the other stuff away on the shelf I spotted one at the back of my collection. I haven't dated it so I wasn't too sure if it would work. I wired it up and hey it works. Has anyone noticed a high failure rate with these?

Regards,

Andrew

I have got a GEC Z9533 internally geared 35w SOX lantern, which was fitted with one of these Davis Thyractor ballast's.
It too was dead, it didn't even flash red, just did nothing, even with a different SOX tube (both the lamps I tried were working fine), I also tried it on the 55w tap, and still nothing.
These don't seem to be very reliable, I guess the internal ignitor has failed, maybe the heat of the ballast coil is what kills them?

The replacement gear will be a Parmar 35/55w SOX ballast, and an SX26 ignitor.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am 

Out of all the ballasts I have received these seem to have the highest failure rate!

Regards,

Andrew.