It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dummy NEMA cells
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:00 am 
Random avatar

I'm thinking about installing a SOX lantern outside my home. I'd rather it switch on at my own convenience rather than have it be controlled by the sky. Anyone know of any decent-quality shorting caps?

Post subject: Re: Dummy NEMA cells
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:09 am 
Site Administration

Your post is very badly worded and it's not clear what your are referring to. Can you also in future check your grammar. I have edited your post, but most web browsers should highlight where there are mistakes.

If you mean a dummy NEMA cell to enable the lantern to be switched externally, then you can simply link the Live in and Switched Live out on the NEMA socket. This will allow the lantern to be switched externally. Still fit a NEMA cell so that water doesn't get into the NEMA socket.

You can get dummy NEMA cells that perform the same function, they are usually black to donate this. As they just contain a wire link inside, quality is almost irrelevant. Most photocell manufacturers sell them direct, or look on Ebay.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:53 pm 
Random avatar

Thanks for your reply, but I'd been awake a lot longer than usual at the time of writing the OP.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:41 am 

When I was collecting street lanterns back in the mid 90's, part of the fun was running them up as well.

Ignoring the fact that electricity was being needlessly wasted (presumably a hanging offence in today's eco zealot world), I still liked to run a couple of my SOX lamps during the day (either for test purposes or simply to replicate what happens 'in real life').

In my original installation, the photocell on the actual lantern was a dummy (of sorts - I simply found a duff cell which dayburned). The real switching was done via a Sangamo timeclock and a working NEMA PEC fitted to the side of my shed. A bypass switch was also employed in the circuit, giving me the option of having the lantern lit all the time, or come on automatically at dusk and off at midnight.

In those days, part night PEC's were never used my area.