It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Philips products
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:53 pm 

It makes sense that Philips would start discontinuing some of their discharge lighting lanterns. Compared with their competitors, they have been very slow to do so. If it is indeed correct that the Malaga and Selenium have been discontinued, and not the usual quirk of their website, then this represents them getting rid of products at the lower end of the spectrum. This could be a case of "we aren't the cheapest, and if somebody wants something cheap and old technology, they can go elsewhere".

As for the Luma, I've mentioned elsewhere on these forums the design faults with this product, of which the biggest issue has been lantern bodies fracturing or lantern bodies detaching from their spigots and falling to ground, which is why they have been banned from further installation by Highways England and all existing installations are being retrofitted with safety straps. The larger and heavier the product, the more prone they are to failure. If they have discontinued the larger products in the Luma range, it is the right decision. They have newer products available, and to continue selling a product that has a safety defect with the design and is costing them an absolute fortune in warranty claims would be madness.

What is madness is that the Iridium is still on sale. The design is nearly 20 years old, it has been superseded by newer products that do the same thing, and Iridiums are being sent for scrap in the hundreds of thousands now. They could just keep customers happy by offering the Iridium2.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:54 pm 
Formerly Paspie

The Iridium range is quite comprehensive and has accumulated a decent install base, so perhaps it is still viable to manufacture for maintenance applications.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:26 pm 

Paianni wrote:
The Iridium range is quite comprehensive and has accumulated a decent install base, so perhaps it is still viable to manufacture for maintenance applications.

The issue is, it's installed base is currently being decimated. A lot of the earlier PFIs that used Iridiums are now binning them for LED, and on parts of the motorway network a lot of Iridiums have been lost too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:57 pm 

Philips love to launch products to duplicate their existing product lines. The latest new functional LED road lantern is the Luma gen2.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:59 pm 
Random avatar

Paianni wrote:
SON might not be dead but at what point will we be able to say LED is a mainstream light source? Today? Some time this year? The Highways Agency is still using Sapphires and Iridiums, most recently on the M25, M1 and the M62.

Quoting you 5 years on. I've lived in north west Greater Manchester for 3.5 years now and have seen nothing but an onslaught of LED in what was once, up until very recently, a SOX dominant area. Bolton and the surrounding areas in particular were great even as late as a few years ago for curious SOX finds. SOX is now a relative rarity (though bizarrely as far as I know some STILL remains on the M60) and when I travel further afield I find often LED is the dominant light source there too. Even where I used to live in Scotland, a rural town west of Glasgow, has now embraced LED almost entirely and even in Glasgow it is starting to take over.

Only anecdotal of course but I suspect LED is now the dominant light source in much of, if not the entirety of the UK. As a keen photographer I have also noticed the skyglow colour in most places has changed from the dull "nuclear" orange to a more peachy white in response to this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:18 pm 

Re: Bat friendly streetlighting.

I was having a look on the Philips website recently and came across quite an interesting article. It was released in 2018, therefore might be 'old news' to you.

In seems that regular streetlighting (both discharge and LED) can cause problems for bats; by disorienting their senses or natural rhythms and even depriving them of their food sources (insects are attracted to the light).

As part of the 'Natura2000 network', a small town in Holland called Zuidhoek - Nieuwkoop, installed the first ever 'bat friendly' street lighting. In 2019, the first installation in the UK (in Worcestershire) was switched on.

These lanterns still employ LEDs, but are of a special wavelength which does not disturb the bats, whilst still providing sufficient illumination for residents.

What is of interest though, is that the 'colour' rather than being the usual white, is of a special wavelength not that dissimilar to our much lamented SOX lamps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:16 pm 
Random avatar

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
What is of interest though, is that the 'colour' rather than being the usual white, is of a special wavelength not that dissimilar to our much lamented SOX lamps.

I think there might be at least one of these up in Saddleworth Moor... at least I think that's where I saw it. Could've sworn it was a SOX lamp, turned around and it was LED. Even appeared to be somewhat monochromatic like SOX as well. Hadn't even thought it would have been to help bats.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:12 am 
Random avatar

Not too long ago, I found out that  all Iridiums apart from the gen4 have been removed from the Philips website which makes me believe that they have been discontinued. I find it quite sad that they are gone because they were quite common in my area.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:06 pm 

The Philips website has long been quite an unreliable source when it comes to whether lanterns are discontinued or not. That's not to say that discontinuation is not the case; just that we cannot 100% be certain.

My local area is a discharge lighting stronghold, as it was one of the last areas of the country to do mass replacements with non-LED lighting. There have been cases of casual replacements where different lanterns have been fitted. For example, I've not seen any Arcs being replaced with Arcs, and in Southampton, they seem to be fitting green SON Iridiums instead of black CosmoIridiums, though they seem to do this even where casually replacing black Lumas, so it may be more the case of them being lazy and just using whatever stock is in the depot. My road was subject to mass replacements with Libras last year, which you could say was unusual given that new residential installations elsewhere were typically Micro Lumas.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:06 pm 

So we are all aware that Philips have finally discontinued the dreaded Iridium 1 range, however it also appears that the Iridium 2 and 3 have also made way Iridium 4.
There is a new lantern being used by the  London Borough Of Southwark, which i believe is the new Iridium 4 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4886437,-0.0911612,3a,37.5y,323.06h,99.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smN3wNYLT_XUfu03QVRlBgQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 .

Personally i dont mind it, but they are miniscule, and there are certain busy roads that these have been used on 10 METRE COLUMNS!!!!

Fun fact about the Iridium range is that, the last London Borough to implement SON lighting on mass was Croydon and Lewisham (joint PFI scheme) which used post top iridiums until around 2017 (and as casual replacements right up until 2020). These are also some of the last borough left in London to still be predominantly non LED as all of these lanterns are less than 10 years old. Ironically, at the time of the replacement scheme, their respective councils explained why SON/Cosmo was used instead of LED (namely costs and prematurity of LED at the time).

Another fun fact about the Iridium range is that this was the last non LED new lantern to be installed by TFL. Medium sized black Iridiums https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3793473,0.0424985,3a,28.6y,155.41h,102.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYpgkJd2yHndXV1d-DmmAgw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 running cosmopolis bulbs were the short lived non-LED staple lantern until the end of 2019. After that, DW Windsor Kirium 2s appear to be the staple lantern of choice for TFL.

My personal favourite was the Iridium 2. I believe that, had the Iridium 2 been released 3 years prior, it would have been a major success. However it was released in the early stages of the LED revolution.  Also, my earliest recollection of the Iridium was in 2002 with the Iridium 1 starting to be introduced into Dartford (before dominating Dartford). Ironically, it was the same year of my earliest recollection of the WRTL ARC, the Iridium's key rival.