It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Least favourite lanterns
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:53 pm 
Random avatar

Whether it's how they look, their lack of capability, design faults or just the fact they are everywhere...

I'll give my top 5, some of you know I think quite strongly about some of them!

- Urbis Sapphire
- Philips Selenium
- Thorn Civic
- WRTL 2600
- Phosco P700
I'm more shallow than I thought.  :?

I'm also not a fan of the Aries, P225, Iridium, Residium, Triumph...

Ones I'm not too sure if I like or not are: Vectra, SGS203, Sol D'Or, Z9454, Riga and Gamma 7, though rarity helps some of these along!

... And yours?  ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:27 am 
Random avatar

I don't like WRTL 2600s either, they are hideous and are far too common where I live. Other lanterns I'm not too fond of:
WRTL Iris
Phosco P678
Urbis Altra
Thorn Riga
Philips SGS203

There are probably more but I can't think of any at this moment in time!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:20 pm 
Random avatar

I can see what you mean about the 2600 - I think it looks worst post-top on metal columns, when the bowl has browned and the canopy goes scabby, like an evil golf-club! We also have side entry versions on new columns and they look out of proportion there too. I like the idea of the 2601 on top entry concrete columns, particularly the CU curved bracket types, although it would still look a little weird!

I'm not a great fan of these PL-L lanterns. I'm just about alright with the Iris because it sort of resembles an Alpha 9/Beta 8 with a Ludicor twist! But yeah I don't like the Altra much. I've seen some in Hampshire [I think] on a side street, and it looked very out of place!

The P678 is too Americanised and the Riga is just cheap and nasty with poor optics!

Although oddly, I prefer the Libra to the Residium.  :geek:

Last edited by Indust on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:30 pm 

I like the Altra. It's preferable to the Residium, not having a GRP canopy and not having a bolt on spigot, although apparently an aluminium canopied Residium is in the pipeline.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:49 am 
Random avatar

Funnily enough I quite like the Residium and Libra, they both look nice and rounded like a new-style small MA-series lantern  :D Each to their own isn't it?

The Phosco P680 fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down too! I thought they looked alright until I saw them in real life, yuck!  :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:26 pm 

Lanterns like the Philips Iridium, INDAL Industria ARC, Schreder (Urbis) Sapphire, Eclatec Clip etc etc. Not ugly but a bit boring. That is what i dislike about them. All little bit the same designs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:26 pm 
Random avatar

My top five least favourite lanterns are:

- The Holophane Syracuse. The black examples like in York don't look too bad admittedly, however I just think they look odd, a bit too blocky, they also only seem to suit being fitted post-top, looking just plain wrong fitted to a bracket

- The Phosco P680, Gramma6 has summed it up rather well I think  :lol:

- The WRTL 2600. I'm a bit unsure about this lantern, on the one hand I quite like it. It kind of resembles a SOX lantern (and can indeed run SOX, something I'd love to see!) and reminds me of Lancashire due to it being so common here, but then again maybe it's too common?! I agree with Indust about it looking worst post-top. It does look quite smart I suppose installed in this way, it just seems a cheap and lazy installation when it's plonked on a galvanized Stainton column

- I'm not overly keen on the Sapphire, it looks too squashed and has strange shape

- And for the fifth, I can't really think of one, tbh I like the look of most lanterns for different reasons, and the same lantern can look awful installed in one way and great when done in another way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:40 pm 
Random avatar

Santaarnpaal wrote:
Lanterns like the Philips Iridium, INDAL Industria ARC, Schreder (Urbis) Sapphire, Eclatec Clip etc etc. Not ugly but a bit boring. That is what i dislike about them. All little bit the same designs.

Out of those you mention I find the Iridium rather depressing and bland as well however I like all the others especially the Arc which I think can look very smart indeed on certain installations. None of them are my particular favourites though.

Harris87 wrote:
The Holophane Syracuse. The black examples like in York don't look too bad admittedly, however I just think they look odd, a bit too blocky, they also only seem to suit being fitted post-top, looking just plain wrong fitted to a bracket

I actually like the QSM. It looks a bit like a witches nose in some profiles though for some reason  :?  :lol:  Have you seen the one on Devonshire Road in Blackpool yet? I think it's a QSM anyway, have to try and get a pic on my rubbish LG phone  :lol:

Quote:
The Phosco P680, Gramma6 has summed it up rather well I think  :lol:

Now polluting the car park at the back of Tesco in Cleveleys with it's ugliness!  :lol:

Quote:
The WRTL 2600. I'm a bit unsure about this lantern, on the one hand I quite like it. It kind of resembles a SOX lantern (and can indeed run SOX, something I'd love to see!) and reminds me of Lancashire due to it being so common here, but then again maybe it's too common?! I agree with Indust about it looking worst post-top. It does look quite smart I suppose installed in this way, it just seems a cheap and lazy installation when it's plonked on a galvanized Stainton column

You mean like this? Quite possibly the most tacky-looking installations I've ever seen which can sadly be found all over Lancashire including replacing those lovely old cast-iron columns in Lytham. Would something a bit more stylish be too much to ask for? At least both Blackpool and Lancs seem to have moved away from using the 2600 now.

Quote:
I'm not overly keen on the Sapphire, it looks too squashed and has strange shape

I don't mind it, it has a bit of a quirky look to it! It's a bit more interesting than the ZX-series anyway  :mrgreen:

Quote:
And for the fifth, I can't really think of one, tbh I like the look of most lanterns for different reasons, and the same lantern can look awful installed in one way and great when done in another way.

True. I've even seen installations of the 2600 which I thought looked good for example on an unsleeved CU Byway X column they look quite good but they never look good post-top or on a metal bracket or sleeve!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:22 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Harris87 wrote:
...It kind of resembles a SOX lantern (and can indeed run SOX, something I'd love to see!)...

There are SOX versions near me (albeit the 2601) which work really well, I have to say!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:25 pm 

WTRL MRL6 as Kirklees post tops them all over the shop, Calderdale has them too but on a lesser extent.

Profile  Personal album