It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:14 pm 
Random avatar

J T wrote:
I also don't like one of the columns because again it is concrete, but because of it's position, that being in front of a brick post between two driveways, so if they were to remove it and replace it it would be very tricky, because one of the driveways belongs to a man who runs his own dial-a-ride service and so needs to get his bus in and out all day long.

In-between the 2 driveways sounds like the very best place for the column, unless you like having a column in the centre of your gateway  :?
Sounds like he'll have to leave his taxi parked on the street for a few hours...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:21 pm 

Normally when a service transfer has to be done and it'll block access, a letter is given to the person(s) affected so they can make alternative arrangements. If there isn't enough room for the new column next to the old one, it might be done as an all-in-one job whereby the lighting contractor (NYCC use Balfour Beatty) and the Electricity supplier's jointing company (normally Morrison for North Yorks) show up at the same time so the old column can be disconnected and removed, then the new one dropped in its place and connected up right there and then... the time on the job is a good few hours as it's a combination of three jobs rolled into one session, but overall it's less inconvenience to residents than showing up on seperate days to do seperate jobs.

I must admit to being a bit perplexed as to why you want an old column with Z5590 to be removed. The Z5590 will be running a mercury lamp I presume (blue-white light, similar to moonlight) - but as and when this column does get replaced (NYCC are doing a concrete replacement scheme across the whole county at the moment) it'll be replaced by a standard column with post-top-mounted Philips Iridium. This will not look anywhere near as interesting as the old column; and what's more is the Iridium will run a SON lamp, which gives out a high-glare horrible orange light - which although on paper is brighter than mercury, it is a poorer quality light. In York, the council are wishing to adopt a policy of replacing failed lanterns with LED ones, which led me to make a joke to one of the lighting contractor's employees "do you think anybody would be suspicious if all these suddenly got 'damaged' in some way?!". We had an Argos truck reverse into the metal column near my house, maybe they could do it again a bit harder next time so we get an Indal Stela fitted instead of a SON lantern!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:00 pm 
Random avatar
I understand about the two driveways.

I don't really like the Z5590 mainly because it has had the least change, it wouldn't be a problem if they replaced the lantern with a brand new Z5590, as the current one is bright, then goes dim, bright then dim.. Yes, it may be worn, that is why a new Z5590 would be better for the neighbourhood. The one across from me once had a period where it was lit, then went black, then struggled to start, full, then flickering, I think it is sorted now.

The Libra had just a pink bulb for a long while and didn't light up the street, I think there was trouble with the connection in the base.

But other than the Z5590, I'm happy about the lighting around here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:30 pm 

Mazeteam wrote:
We had an Argos truck reverse into the metal column near my house, maybe they could do it again a bit harder next time so we get an Indal Stela fitted instead of a SON lantern!

A mate of mine, whose older brother once got his Transit's winch / crane thing caught on the column outside his house. Needless to say the column is now bent and the gear tray has opened leading the lantern, a Phillips MI55 to unevenly distribute light along the street.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:32 pm 

Here are my all time hates:

EVOLO- Looks a bit like a microwaved Iridium. It's far too sleek

JET- I really don't like the shape of this lantern. And as for this  :evil:

IRIDIUM- Overated but OK in some instances.

TRIUMPH- Who thought THAT was a good idea!

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:17 am 

Those 57W Jets do a good job at night though, and they replaced 90W SOX.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:13 am 
Random avatar

Indust wrote:
I can see what you mean about the 2600 - I think it looks worst post-top on metal columns, when the bowl has browned and the canopy goes scabby, like an evil golf-club! We also have side entry versions on new columns and they look out of proportion there too. I like the idea of the 2601 on top entry concrete columns, particularly the CU curved bracket types, although it would still look a little weird!

I'm not a great fan of these PL-L lanterns. I'm just about alright with the Iris because it sort of resembles an Alpha 9/Beta 8 with a Ludicor twist! But yeah I don't like the Altra much. I've seen some in Hampshire [I think] on a side street, and it looked very out of place!

The P678 is too Americanised and the Riga is just cheap and nasty with poor optics!

Although oddly, I prefer the Libra to the Residium.  :geek:

Sorry to be a bit dense, but I always thought the Libra and Residium were basically the same lantern?  Just that Residium was the Philips version and Libra was the WRTL (badged but Philips made) version?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:52 am 

There are some differences to the body shape, especially if you compare a 24w or 36w Residium (which has a seperate spigot which is bolted on) to a Libra (integral spigot).... but the differences in larger versions can be harder to spot.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:49 am 
Site Administration

peterhoult wrote:
Sorry to be a bit dense, but I always thought the Libra and Residium were basically the same lantern?  Just that Residium was the Philips version and Libra was the WRTL (badged but Philips made) version?

The Residium was always a Philips design and is more than 20 years old. The canopy is GRP.

The Libra is a much newer (and completely different) design made by Indal/WRTL. The body is aluminium. There is no Philips origin to this lantern at all, although Philips now sell it following the merger with Indal.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:25 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

A further difference is that Residiums can take SOX lamps but Libras can't... well they probably can, they're just not sold with that option.

Profile  Personal album