It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Little Chef lanterns
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 am 

The Little Chef at Rooley Lane in Bradford has shut down leaving behind 2 LC Lanterns. I am thinking of going up to rescue them. What tools do i need to take to rescue them and how many people does it take to lift one down as the last thing i want is to drop it and shatter the bowl and the lamps.

Something from Streetview:

Attachments:
lcl.jpg
lcl.jpg [ 25.1 KiB | Viewed 12448 times ]

Post subject: Re: Little Chef lanterns
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:50 am 

Well, technically unless you know the whole place is being flattened, then the lights still have a legal owner. However, I am sending a PM...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:59 am 

So who do i contact?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:13 am 

That's where the problem comes... because if the site has closed, the company will claim to no longer own the site. But if nobody else has bought the place (normally shown by 'sold' signs outside, security fencing, construction vehicles outside) then there's nobody else owning it either.

Dunno how the police would see it... I doubt they'd be able to make contact with somebody either!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:20 am 

There is no sold signs on the building.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:56 am 

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
The Little Chef at Rooley Lane in Bradford has shut down leaving behind 2 LC Lanterns. I am thinking of going up to rescue them. What tools do i need to take to rescue them and how many people does it take to lift one down as the last thing i want is to drop it and shatter the bowl and the lamps.

If you were to take it down yourself it would be very challenging. I believe the lantern simply slides into the column without being secured with any grub screws or bolts. A spine runs the whole length of the lantern and continues below the lantern, sliding into the column. The spine itself is quite heavy, made of painted mild steel, with all the ballasts attached too, plus length wise it is taller than many people. It would be safer to remove the bowl and lamps first, but that would involve sliding the bowl upwards and over the top of the lantern, which would be tricky. I think removing the lantern would be easier if the column were cut at ground level and lowered carefully. Then there's the matter of transportation.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 pm 
Random avatar

Subway in Melksham have two of these lights that I think still operate. So the site could have been Little Chef before!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:32 pm 

I've seen slightly different versions at a couple of petrol stations, so they weren't only confined to Little Chefs.

See here

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 am 

Crikey, I didn't know there was THAT variant! Maybe there used to be a little chef next to that petrol station...
The only other variant I know of is the 'LC1' as I call it, square profile when looked down on - so thusly it is a cuboid in shape. But the only examples I know of are welded to the columns and are rusty.

The 'LC2' as I call it (the normal ones) have the base casting fixed to the column by means of rivets (or in your case, sotonsteve, it was small slot headed screws - whether this is the same for all the black ones I don't know). Without damaging the column, you have to get the base casting free to slide down the column with the outer tube too - that way you only need about 3-4ft of height boost to get the things down. Steve's one was originally on a column that I'd been tipped off about, somebody saw it lying on the ground. I examined it and the column had been cut through - the people obviously left when they realised the cable was SWA and would be to much work for the copper!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:27 am 

I know that thers a fuel station near to Horbury called Viaduct services which has something similar but smaller, but we'll still call them LC1 / LC2.

As i have found out from Sabre that the Rainton ones have been sadly removed.

Profile  Personal album