It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:42 am 
Site Administration

I have a similar lantern to you, which I believe is a Z5567 Small Oxford. Although the casting font and catch look like the later versions, from what I remember, the internals are the same.

I suspect yours is an early version, with the catch later redesigned.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:52 pm 

You may indeed be right.

Whilst having a search online, I came across this picture.
Attachment:
gec13.jpg
gec13.jpg [ 334.85 KiB | Viewed 12762 times ]
It looks like an early Oxford lantern and it includes the above described bowl catch.

I now suspect the ring would be more of a simple wire type than an alloy casting, probably designed to accept an acorn type glass bowl with refractor.

The interesting thing though is that the canopy is quite streamlined, compared to the more geometric "stepped" design like mine. I suspect this is because the original "Oxford" was made out of pressed Copper, whereas subsequent versions were alloy.

Anyway, I'll be setting about restoring this in due course.

Thanks for your input so far...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:06 am 
Site Administration

I also have one of those! A Z5540 small Wembley.

Simon Cornwell said of mine:

Quote:
Your lantern is a GEC Enclosed Small "Wembley" lantern (catalogue range Z5540/1/2). However, the original bowl has gone, and has been replaced by a later refractor bowl.

Originally the lantern would've taken a dome refractor and either: a clear acorn-shaped globe; a rimpled acorn-shaped globe; stepped opal globe; or a clear Perspex globe.

Davy Warren has one in his collection with the original glassware.

Davy's lantern is one in your image. Your lantern therefore seems to be a hybrid of the 2 types.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:18 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
I also have one of those! A Z5540 small Wembley.

Your lantern therefore seems to be a hybrid of the 2 types.

Perfect conclusion there and great to see some more photos of your lantern too.

My apologies to Davy for purloining his image btw (it is for a good cause though).

Actually, it is interesting to discover that this one is a little different - like you say, it is a bit of a hybrid. I wonder how long it was in production for?

With regards to restoration, as I am now thinking it would have had a wire ring for the bowl after all, I ought to be able to fashion one myself. To complete the job, I do have an acorn bowl tucked away somewhere too. The reflector will be a little more tricky to work out, although I do have something which could be adapted if I'm really pushed.

Good old GEC - always full of surprises eh?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:27 pm 

the dark lord wrote:
A couple of odd balls I pass regularly, on a concrete works just off Every Street, Bury

Hi !

Is this photo has been taken in UK ? If yes, this is a very important information to me. This lantern is a PHILIPS HRP, I have seen it all over western Europe, except... in UK & Ireland (and Spain also).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:37 pm 

JakeB wrote:
Number 2 is almost certainly a DW Windsor Cradle.

Number 6 is a Holophane lantern; they were commonly used in the UK in B&Q car parks.
Thank you. I have the feeling that HOLOPHANE luminaires used to be used in private areas...

What about these ones I pictured in Liverpool ? I have never seen them elsewhere... They seem to be equiped by a GEC reflector (the same as Z8526). Are these GEC lanterns ? Do you know their names ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 am 
Random avatar

Phozagora wrote:
the dark lord wrote:
A couple of odd balls I pass regularly, on a concrete works just off Every Street, Bury

Hi !

Is this photo has been taken in UK ? If yes, this is a very important information to me. This lantern is a PHILIPS HRP, I have seen it all over western Europe, except... in UK & Ireland (and Spain also).

Hi,

Yes theyre on land just off Every Street in Bury.

GSV

https://goo.gl/maps/34VH58LDdCS2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:05 pm 

the dark lord wrote:
Hi,

GSV

Thank you for the Streeview link. Glad to have the confirmation that HRP has existed in UK. Finally this is not a big surprise, insofar PHILIPS has sold this one all over Europe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:51 pm 

Further to the obscure lanterns in Every St, Bury.

When I saw these, I immediately got thinking as to where I had seen this lantern design before.

I then remembered that Oldham Street, Manchester used to be lit by these (or something very similar) in the 1970s until they were replaced by Alpha 8s / MRL6s in the early 90s I think. I suspect they were SON burners throughout their life on this major thoroughfare. The tapered canopy and the "wraparound visor" was unlike anything else Manchester had at the time.
Attachment:
old1.jpg
old1.jpg [ 142.2 KiB | Viewed 12456 times ]

At the time, SON lamps were in the minority, although there were a few Alpha 3s , usually near to pedestrian crossings. Manchester's infamous skyglow was as orange as its buses back then.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:11 am 
Random avatar

Phozagora wrote:
the dark lord wrote:
Hi,

GSV

Thank you for the Streeview link. Glad to have the confirmation that HRP has existed in UK. Finally this is not a big surprise, insofar PHILIPS has sold this one all over Europe.

You're welcome.

I note your location says France...I dont suppose you recognize the old florescents i saw in France (near La Souteraine) on page 64 of this thread do you?