It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:01 pm 

Unfortunately there aren't any markings on the inside. It does look like the ZD10864 but for 55w tubes. I will take some measurements this weekend and compare them to the datasheets on Simon's website. It does make sense that the lantern would be GEC as all the 8m columns were GEC. Here is the link to G.S.V https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.88159 ... 56!6m1!1e1

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:51 pm 

Can anyone tell me what model this is, please ? They have appeared at a couple of locations in NI recently, but I can't identify them despite extensive research.

Attachment:
2016-10-14 13.42.19a.jpg
2016-10-14 13.42.19a.jpg [ 18.12 KiB | Viewed 8776 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:26 pm 

That is a TRT Aspect

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:32 pm 
Random avatar

Anyone know what this lantern is? It ran a 35W SOX lamp.

Attachment:
Unidentified.JPG
Unidentified.JPG [ 36.24 KiB | Viewed 8467 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm 

On the subject of unidentified lanterns, here is one example which although is to be presumed long extinct, was one of the most numerous lantern types to be found in and around the City of Salford. They seemed to have arrived on the scene back in the 60s and I never saw them anywhere else. They are not Eleco or Revo / Relite as far as I can see.

With its long and unusually boxy canopy to hold its 180W SOX lamp, I remember seeing plenty of them in the 80s, although in common with the Alpha 5 and some other lanterns, at the time I never really liked the look of them - too clumsy and ungainly in my opinion!

Because of this, I never photographed them in their natural environment, nor made any attempt at getting one for my collection. It seems that very few other people cared about them either. This view is courtesy of Manchester Libraries online image archive and seems to be the only picture showing this type of lantern.

Now I'm at an age where I wish I had been more forgiving, when such "undesirable" lanterns were commonplace.

I think pretty much all surviving examples of this unidentified specimen, were replaced in the 90s by MA50s or Philips SGS lanterns. I don't recall mourning their passing back then, although I do recall seeing one of these lanterns many years later still lingering on in a Salford backwater - although I can't quite remember where.  

Of course, Salford has recently "invested to save" so now LEDs are the order of the day, even though many of the same concrete columns often still survive.

Does anybody have any ideas about who made this lantern, or if any made it into preservation?

Attachments:
sal1.jpg
sal1.jpg [ 270.51 KiB | Viewed 8457 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:59 am 

paul wrote:
Anyone know what this lantern is? It ran a 35W SOX lamp.

Attachment:
Unidentified.JPG

That's a great little lantern. I would be interested to see that illuminated with a 35W SOX lamp. It would also look cool with an 80w MBF lamp fitted.

Where did it come from?

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm 

Re: Rare, old, heritage style ornamental post top streetlight lantern.

This (or something very identical) is on Ebay at the moment. There are some other interesting lots available as well!

Further pictures don't seem to give much clue to its heritage (if indeed it has any). I might hazard a guess of 1960s as a start, however the base spigot assembly looks to be 1970s, looking at the grub screws to secure it to the post or pedestal (nb: the seller's listing confirms this as a GEC spigot adaptor).

Usually, brackets of a certain age would have chunky bolts to spanner up. Could it have been modified or rebuilt at some point. Either way, the combination of a possibly original 1960s lantern with the sort of spigot found on modern bracket arms, somehow seems wrong.

On the other hand, the main lantern casting which looks to be aluminium seems to have some age to it, along with the failing putty on the glazing. The glazing itself looks to be clear perspex. As it has gone "milky" and is crazed in places, could this be an indication that the lantern has done some service time?

Ignoring the post top spigot, perhaps this lantern was originally designed for wall bracket mounting, rather than post-top. It might be possible with a fixing point / cable entry being at the bottom, along with some form of ring support around the lantern itself. It might have originally had quite a fancy bracket, which would match the style of the lantern itself.

It is a pity that its innards are missing / removed. If it was SOX, presumably the gear would be mounted remote, as I wouldn't think you could squeeze much in the space available. Did it incorporate a similar arrangement with drop rods etc , like the Gamma 6?

We need to find answers for these questions. Mr Cornwell's pages haven't shed any light as yet!

Failing that, I'm sure there will be an archive photo winging its way, with the lantern in its natural habitat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 pm 

Hi GreatNorburyStDepot,

I have had a look on Ebay for that post top but I can't seem to find it. Could you please post the link on here. Unfortunately I am at capacity now for lanterns but I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to SOX lanterns.

Did you find out what that 180w lantern was in the photo you posted?

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:26 am 
Random avatar

I'm also curious about what the solution was. An update would be nice  :)

Last edited by Selinam on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am 

Hi Andrew.

I'm afraid I'm not computer savvy enough to post a link, however if you type in "RARE old heritage style" on the ebay search box, it is currently displayed at the top of the listings. The member is called "Retro-seller" (based in Rochester by the looks of it). Some nice stuff on offer, but out of my mileage range I'm afraid.

I suppose this posting should really be under Ebay as a topic.

I'm still hoping someone out there will be able to identify the 180W Salford lantern. No joy yet though, it must be very unusual.