It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New Bowls
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:05 pm 

I wonder if we could make our own replacement bowls? It'll be easy to cover damage for making the mould...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:11 pm 
Site Administration

The trouble with bowls is that mould needs to be 2 sided and not single sided as the case for the refractor. The silicone will also need some form of rigid backing to keep it in shape. A further issue is that whilst for the refractor, the resin pour is straight forward and air bubbles will escape, that may not be the case for a complex shape. I also very much doubt that it will be possible to get the 2 halves of the mould to produce a thin enough bowl.

It should be possible to use the resin to fill holes in bowls though. It sets water clear so would need experimenting to produce a milky finish - most holed bowls aren't crystal clear...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:04 pm 

There is also the problem with older 'acorn' type bowls too as it would be hard to create a perfect circle.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Administration

Well to make any mould you need a half decent bowl to start with - which in many cases is exactly the problem!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:56 pm 

I've recently filled in one or two pellet holes in my Eleco Way lanterns with Araldite Rapid, which sets cloudy white.... ish. It does seal the hole, but you can still see there was a hole there - but I don't mind, so long as it keeps the wasps out if the lantern is re-used outside!
The glue also came in for rebuilding the only bowl I had for a certain lantern, after the lantern decided to fall out of my loft deck (which in turn was due to a screw not turning, but miracously the screw turned as son as the lantern bowl smashed - it was like some freaky 'sods law' interlock, that the screw wouldn't budge until something broke). I have got the bowl complete again, but I will need to source another one... as you can see it has been in a dozen pieces. Putting it back together was reminiscent of something you'd get on The Crystal Maze!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:43 pm 

Mazeteam wrote:
Putting it back together was reminiscent of something you'd get on The Crystal Maze!

:lol:

That reminds me, I've still have the P106's bowl to seal up.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:46 pm 

I think it was phosco 152 that originally said about it, but Araldite Rapid cures with a cloudy finish, but normal Araldite cures clear. If that is correct then you could try normal Araldite on the P106 bowl. I've been using Rapid, and it only takes 45 seconds to mix, but then you have to use what you've mixed within 4 minutes... and it's best to wear disposable gloves otherwise it gets on your hands and takes ages to come off.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:12 pm 
Site Administration

I’ve made my first cast refractors. The clear one is the first one I did. There is no exact resin hardener mix ratio – I used the minimum and as a result is a little tacky round the edges but good enough to be used. The detail has come out very well though – although the grooves do tend to trap small air bubbles The milky one had just 1ml of emulsion paint added to the resin – it is slightly too white compared to the original (on left). I didn’t quite pour enough resin in the mould though so it’s not as good and it has more air bubbles. I shall probably scrap that one and see if I can make a less milky one. The clear one forms a very distinct beam when you shine light through it, where as the other one is really too opaque.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:42 pm 

That is quite an impressive result.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:25 pm 

Not bad for your first attempt Phosco. Brilliant.

Profile  Personal album