It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: "Heritage" lanterns
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:04 pm 

Ali ZX2 wrote:
I have always wondered, who currently makes the Revo Grey Wornums for Westminster council?

As I recall, they're Urbis.

--

In York, there had been housing areas in Huntington and Acaster malbis that *should* have had the heritage lighting replaced with LED versions, but were taken off the list at the 11th hour.. two of the estates have 'Windsor' type lanterns of Phosco manufacture running 35w SOX lamps, and the other has Phosco P111s running 35W SOX - and I was after two of the Windsor types and two P111's complete with all the bowls from the other 9 on the street... but the council has placed a bid for 'challenge fund' monies which could see a 3rd party doing massive scale replacements, and would see all heritage lighting 'converted' (not replaced) to LED; meanwhile the view currently on the lanterns mentioned is that if they are removed due to failure that they'd be cannibalised for spares to keep city centre lanterns going, which makes sense for the 'Windsor' type lanterns as the city centre has a few Windsors around (though whether parts such as canopy hoods are interchangeable between Sugg, Urbis, and Phosco products is questionable), but there are no other P111s in the city or other suitable lanterns that could receive parts from such donors.

--

Those lanterns with fake oil lamps glassware inside look stupid, simple as that, and would not give the desired effect at night due to where the light source is. If the light source was at the very bottom of the fake oil lamp glass, and that the glass was completely solid right the way through, then the light would be internally reflected and refracted within the glass and would then come close to the desired effect. Meanwhile in some other places, such as Doncaster on a bridge near the Frenchgate centre (and more recently on the road by Knaresborough railway station), there are heritage lanterns which have dropdown fake gas mantles - again, due to the position of the light source it does not have the desired effect

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:14 pm 

Mazeteam wrote:
Those lanterns with fake oil lamps glassware inside look stupid, simple as that, and would not give the desired effect at night due to where the light source is. If the light source was at the very bottom of the fake oil lamp glass, and that the glass was completely solid right the way through, then the light would be internally reflected and refracted within the glass and would then come close to the desired effect. Meanwhile in some other places, such as Doncaster on a bridge near the Frenchgate centre (and more recently on the road by Knaresborough railway station), there are heritage lanterns which have dropdown fake gas mantles - again, due to the position of the light source it does not have the desired effect

I wonder if Arun District Council installed them rather than West Sussex County Council?

I though those in Doncaster were electric gas combis? In Horsham where is a few Sugg gas lanterns left as some of them have been converted to Pl-T lamps which have in my view ruined them, the ones that are on Chart Way (a pedstrianised route) use to be until around 2011/12 were gas.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:56 pm 
Random avatar

You're partly missing the point with these repro heritage lanterns. There is also the daytime appearance which is probably more important. During the day the mock oil lamp is visible while the led bank won't be obvious. The man on the street won't even notice anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:50 pm 
Site Administration

The Metcraft Addington has been used for the South Coast PFI where a heritage style lantern is required on a swan neck bracket, usually with bracket and lantern painted in black.

At the end of 2014, I spotted in a new development in Fareham borough which had the standard Hampshire green PFI style columns but only 4m tall and  fitted with Libras. Very odd.

A year later, things had changed, the Libras had gone, embellishment kits have been added together with ladder bars, swan neck brackets and Addingtons, but all unusually in Hampshire green. This explains why the columns were only 4m tall.

Quite bizarrely given this is a new development (and you would have thought the endless regulations for everything would have stipulated a minimum pavement width - or the road could have been narrowed..), this column has a basic L bracket (harking back to the installations used in this area during the late 1970s), as there is insufficient clearance to the rear for a swan neck.

Close up of bracket and lantern, bit of a grub screw overkill both to attach the finial and the bracket to the column. The lanterns run CFL PL-T lamps, probably 42W.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:17 am 
Random avatar

Acacia Cat wrote:
Here's an interesting thing I discovered the other day! This lantern has been replaced with a P109. What's odd is that it's running SON-E (at least it's not SON-T). I always thought that the lanterns on the road were  old ones that had been refurbished, then I noticed this!

Before After

There's a slight design difference, showing that the current lanterns are not Revo Eastbournes (though my eyes may be deceiving me). It also means that the lantern (that is now a P109) can only have lasted about 4 or 5 years!

2 things:

1) For some reason the only pictures I can see on GSV are the ones showing the Revo Eastbourne-like ones.

2) It would make sense for it to be a P109 as I thought Bath Council always favoured the Phosco P109/P111 anyway.  I'm also old enough to remember the days of MV use in these lanterns before they retrofitted to SON!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:06 am 

Phosco152 wrote:
The Metcraft Addington has been used for the South Coast PFI where a heritage style lantern is required on a swan neck bracket, usually with bracket and lantern painted in black.

At the end of 2014, I spotted in a new development in Fareham borough which had the standard Hampshire green PFI style columns but only 4m tall and  fitted with Libras. Very odd.

A year later, things had changed, the Libras had gone, embellishment kits have been added together with ladder bars, swan neck brackets and Addingtons, but all unusually in Hampshire green. This explains why the columns were only 4m tall.

Quite bizarrely given this is a new development (and you would have thought the endless regulations for everything would have stipulated a minimum pavement width - or the road could have been narrowed..), this column has a basic L bracket (harking back to the installations used in this area during the late 1970s), as there is insufficient clearance to the rear for a swan neck.

Close up of bracket and lantern, bit of a grub screw overkill both to attach the finial and the bracket to the column. The lanterns run CFL PL-T lamps, probably 42W.

Are those rebranded DW Iffley's?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:32 pm 
Random avatar

No, they do look different and the Metcraft Addingtons are 405mm wide, whereas the DWW Iffleys are smaller at 324mm in diameter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:11 pm 
Site Administration

Metcraft Victoria lanterns are being used in Chichester in West Sussex as part of the PFI, but they are of the LED variety. Similar lanterns used elsewhere by the PFI have tended to be CDM.

Prior to the PFI there were some heritage lanterns in the medieval part of the city that mimicked cast iron lanterns that would have lit by candles or oil lamps.

This example is modern replica running SON fitted in 2010 (and removed as part of the PFI), but earlier examples were completely un-glazed and several ran SOX lamps, the bottom ends of which poked out from the bottom of the lantern. No doubt these SOX running versions were originally incandescent.

A visit at the weekend, showed that a top entry version of the Victoria has been commissioned with additional horizontal and vertical black glazing bars to mimic the cast iron open lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:42 pm 

I was also in Chichester in the weekend and noticed that a lot of replacements had happened in the city centre.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:40 pm 

mazeteam wrote:
Ali ZX2 wrote:
I have always wondered, who currently makes the Revo Grey Wornums for Westminster council?

As I recall, they're Urbis.

Earlier in February, I was sent out "on site" to several stores of one of the larger supermarket chains and was based around Reading and the surrounding area.

As I wasn't doing the driving, meant I could keep an eye out for anything streetlighting related which was unusual and which could be reported back to Ukastle on my return.

There is a good mixture of stuff down here which I will include in more detail as time allows, however I thought these three "I spys" were possibly worthy of note.

All are to be found off Trout Road, which is on the outskirts of the town of Yiewsley. If it were not for the outdated satnav which sent us in the wrong direction entirely, I would have never have come across these.

The first is to be found on what looks to be a private road leading to some commercial premises. It looks like a Revo Woburn or its Urbis reincarnation. In fact, there seemed to be a second further down. Both looked in good condition.

Back on Trout Road, the area is more "out in the sticks" with open storage yards being the only thing of interest. However, an enforced turnaround gave me my second "cop", which is the base section of a cast iron column of a type still found in London, with the "CC" cast into the design (apparently for "City Council", although there is the old urban myth it had something to do with Coco Chanel). It is currently painted black with yellow highlights and is doing sterling service as a gate post. An odd thing to find out here. Surely, it can't get any better than this?

Well, further along this road on the right, is another large area, seemingly used for storage of vehicles, building materials and other stuff besides. What you wouldn't expect to find is a large ornate lighting column, again of a London pattern. I can't tell if this is original, or repro or even if it works. I am inclined to suspect it might have done time in the capital. Perhaps the keen eyes amongst you can confirm.

As I didn't have my camera with me, I have had to rely on GSV, therefore the images aren't as clear or sized as I would like.

Attachments:
woburn1a.jpg
woburn1a.jpg [ 204.65 KiB | Viewed 21609 times ]
woburn2a.jpg
woburn2a.jpg [ 43.63 KiB | Viewed 21609 times ]
yiew1b.jpg
yiew1b.jpg [ 31.2 KiB | Viewed 21609 times ]
yiew2a.jpg
yiew2a.jpg [ 69.87 KiB | Viewed 21609 times ]
yiew3a.jpg
yiew3a.jpg [ 186.19 KiB | Viewed 21609 times ]