It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: "Heritage" lanterns
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:06 pm 
Site Administration

Given the use of ignitor rather than leak gear, gear in head shouldn't make lanterns larger nowadays after all the AC850 was gear in head.

I know the physics of a SON reflector means it has to be a minimum size however especially for Group B lanterns the whole body is often unnecessarily large. Given lanterns such as the Triumph 1 have a small reflector (although an oversize body), and many of the DW Windsor lanterns are available with "diamond reflector" a smaller lantern should be possible.

The trouble with the Albany and similar looking lanterns from other manufacturers is that the diameter of the canopy is too large, the lantern is too tall and then a deep teardrop bowl is fitted making it even more all out of proportion. I will need to get some pictures, but in a West Sussex Village there are some "Albany type" lanterns on 5m swan neck brackets and they truly look awful. The type of bracket would suit a GEC 5590 but not an Albany type lantern which is far too big. The only redeeming feature is they run MH and not SON!

Although I am not a great fan of the Victorian square/pyramidal such as the DW "Windsor" lantern, that would be far more appropriate for both the column and the setting in the West Sussex case.

It should not be beyond of the wit of a designer to come up with a small heritage lantern such as perhaps a modern version of the GEC 5560/80/90 series. My preferred version would be the 5580 with a deep bowl or the similar looking 5560. I know the optics would be tricky with a vertical arc tube but the asymmetric refractor ring was perfected before WW2 (and could easily now be injected moulded from polycarbonate) and could be combined with perhaps a modern partly opaque polycarbonate bowl(pavement side) to ensure light distribution along the pavement rather than behind.

Or what about a modern version of the Eleco HW918 or Phosco P177 (which have a horizontal lamp making the optics far easier) with deeper canopy sides both to reduce glare and allow enough space in the crown of the canopy for the gear? In both cases it would only need approx a canopy 50mm deeper which could blended in. This would be far more in proportion, unlike the massive (in length) and deep humped Iridium!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:59 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
The trouble with the Albany and similar looking lanterns from other manufacturers is that the diameter of the canopy is too large, the lantern is too tall and then a deep teardrop bowl is fitted making it even more all out of proportion.

Very true. With the one I have, I finished my work on it and got it installed inside my cabin... stood back and thought "bl**dy hell! that's way bigger than I was expecting" Just the small albany on a wall bracket has a total height of roughly a meter... and the max diameter isn't far off that either. It's certainly bigger than the WRTL2000's and my Urbis K-Lux, which in themselves are pretty big lanterns. It is the canopy that gets in the way... if the canopy was inline with the outer diameter of the 'neck' area where the gear is held, complete with a more shallow profile bowl, it'd look a bit more respectable. As it stands too, the deep bowl on these albanies isn't great for cutting out light pollution.

Quote:
I will need to get some pictures, but in a West Sussex Village there are some "Albany type" lanterns on 5m swan neck brackets and they truly look awful. The type of bracket would suit a GEC 5590 but not an Albany type lantern which is far too big. The only redeeming feature is they run MH and not SON!

We have something similar in one part of the city here. They really do not look right.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:52 pm 
Random avatar

The K-Lux is perhaps one of Urbis' better traditional designs. It actually looks like a lantern that could have been fitted in the 50s/60s. Another good one, although not included in the heritage range, is the Opalo. Both of these really suit a village environment as they look like old mercury lanterns and are smart and unintrusive.

The problem with Urbis is that they don't seem to have learnt from their mistakes with the Albany as newer designs such as the Karl Johan, Carlton and St. Giles don't seem any less bulky (although the St. Giles is more attractive imo) and these lanterns stick out like a sore thumb in most locations they are fitted as they're so big and bulky and somehow seem like they're trying to ram the heritage factor down your throat rather than blend in to the streetscene quietly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:13 pm 

The K-Lux is also ideal for residential areas, due to the cutoff optic. But it still looks good even in sensitive areas...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:45 pm 
Random avatar

Yep, I'd go so far as to say it's the best-looking modern post-top lantern around today  :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:59 am 

It's certainly one of my fav's!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:48 pm 
Site Administration

My pet hate has to be "heritage" lanterns used inappropriately and of the wrong style. However congratulations go to Southern Electric for their work in Chichester. This has been replaced with this. They would have got top marks if it was running MBF and not SON!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:08 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
My pet hate has to be "heritage" lanterns used inappropriately and of the wrong style. However congratulations go to Southern Electric for their work in Chichester. This has been replaced with this. They would have got top marks if it was running MBF and not SON!

ESLA made some lanterns that looked a little like this traditional lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:59 pm 

very nice... and for once the lantern is in proportion to the bracket!
This will be because 1, the lantern will likely be remote gear*, and 2, the lantern doesn't have any of the 'dark sky friendly' massive over-reflector and horizontally-oriented lamp to stop upward light emissions
* - I may be wrong on that, as you might just get away with a small SON ballast and ignitor in the top of it...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:29 am 
Site Administration

I believe the gear is integral, there is plenty of space in the canopy to accomodate 70W SON gear, there wasn't a remote gear box close to the lantern. There are actually SOX versions of the same lantern in use as well.

Profile  Personal album