It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Philips products
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:15 pm 
Random avatar

For any discussion related to Philips related products.

For anyone's info, photos of new *bleurgh* mini Iridiums being installed in Dorset can be viewed on page 13 of the SW England regional thread.

Philips' Arc-alike the Modena has made its mark at Haydock Island, where the East Lancs Road meets the M6, after the old Eleco GR200s were killed off.

Has anyone seen the Opalo/Jet clone, the AluRoad installed elsewhere yet? It may be hard to spot one that anyone could think an AluRoad is an Opalo!

Does anyone believe a new successor to the dowdy Residium design is due, a potential new Philips fluorescent lantern could compete with the stylish WRTL Libra and Urbis Aresa?

Post subject: Re: Philips products
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:03 am 

QSM Quandary wrote:
Does anyone believe a new successor to the dowdy Residium design is due, a potential new Philips fluorescent lantern could compete with the stylish WRTL Libra and Urbis Aresa?

I've heard that Philips will be launching an aluminium version of the Residium.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:08 pm 
Site Administration

Goodness why since most manufacturers have moved away from metal lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:15 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Goodness why since most manufacturers have moved away from metal lanterns.

Most manufacturers are moving back towards aluminium lanterns though, due to their recyclability.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:59 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I wonder how popular the metal SGS403 and SGS452/3/4 are?

QSM Quandary wrote:

I've never really thought of them making a successor for it - the Residium always seems so modern! I think they are more concerned with LED lighting at the moment! I just wonder how effective lanterns such as the Residium/Iridium LEDs actually are in comparison to the purpose built lanterns such as the WRTL Stela?! I mean don't get me wrong, I prefer the LED retrofit lanterns better in terms of aesthetics (as I like functional lighting), but I reckon the Stela would probably win even if it does look a little weird!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:47 pm 
Random avatar

The Residium seems modern like the Streetfighter and Trafficvision but compared to the Iridium it looks a bit old and tattier in appearance. It is fine if a council decides on a cheap PFI using Seleniums and Residiums!

The South Coast PFI is rumoured to install Iridiums (quelle surprise) and Libras, the fact Libras are chosen which might mean the Residium appears unappealing unlike its WRTL rival.

I would have thought Philips would produce a new fluorescent lantern with the same canopy as the Iridium making it fit into the *vomit* "Iridium family".

The other rivals apart from Philips have upgraded their lanterns:

WRTL: Iris -> Libra
Urbis: Altra -> Aresa
Philips: Residium -> ?

As for LED lighting, has Philips got its version of a dedicated LED lantern like the Stela? If not then maybe this will be in the pipeline.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:56 pm 
Random avatar

WRTL: 2500 -> Iris -> Libra
Urbis: Altra -> Aresa
Philips: Residium -> ?

Is the Aresa even available yet? I personally don't see the need for Philips to bring out a new PL-L lantern yet. The Residium looks more modern to the Altra, and is probably on par with the Libra. Not to mention it is very popular still. Maybe when sales reach the end of maturity, they should adapt the Residium. (Not necessarily use a new design)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:27 pm 

Something similar in name perhaps such as Residiumini, which woud use CFL lamps in which rivals the Opalo.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:20 pm 

The fact that many areas are installing Opalos, Jets, and QSM/S's is testament that aluminium canopied lanterns are in demand... whilst aluminium does corrode (as those of us who have those green whitecroft floodlights will know - and the little green one I have is even worse!), the corrosion is not destructive and you don't end up with a disintegrating canopy that has a small tree growing out of it! A lot of councils are moving away from GRP simply because the lantern tops look like crap after a few years in use.

The residium is still a popular lantern, especially in leeds, and I think it can only be bettered with an aluminium canopy. Let's be honest too, there's only a limited number of designs you can come up with for a PL-L lantern that doesn't make the thing look way too big and out of proportion.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:31 pm 

I was wondering if the Residium could be improved by having it in a slimline variation such as a smaller ballast and a narrower canopy and bowl (or even flat glass) but whether it would be effective enough is a diffrent matter.

Profile  Personal album