It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New Urbis Products
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:49 am 

I don't think the ZX3 is a particularly sturdy lantern... but in some installations they can looks half decent. The Alpha 2000 though is one of those rugged lanterns that makes you think it could be classified as "bombproof"!

Now then , some streetview links... and all from the same roundabout (M18 J1, near Rotherham). These really are corkers.
First is here, just after you join from the westbound M18. The road surface has been gradually falling apart for the last 3-4 years, and now is like this (I can confirm it was the same about 3 weeks ago when I was last in the area). And likewise, that MRL6 that has spun on the bracket has been like that for about 18 months at least.... It has had it's lamp replaced though!!
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 7,,0,-2.09

Just a couple of yards round is this next column. It got whacked into a good while back and has never been replaced! the ZX3 on top has been baring all for a MINIMUM of TWO YEARS!! And this is a major interchange by the way.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 3,,1,-9.03

round on the other side of the roundabout, this one hasn't had a lantern for a good few months!
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 5,,0,-2.38

few yards from that is a missing column!
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 69,,1,4.56

Well, we know some councils adopt a policy of "it it ain't broke, don't fix it"... well it would seem that whoever is responsible for these lights (there is a welcom to rotherham sign if you head towards the morrisons store, and not towards Optare) has a policy of " it it ain't broke, don't fix it - hell, even if it IS broke we still won't fix it!"

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:51 pm 

The Urbis Topaz range has been expanded with the Aresa, Aresa LED, Nano and Nano LED products.
Image Image
Image Image

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:27 pm 

I wonder what market they're aiming the Nano at... it can't be the budget end, because the Opalo caters for that quite well. Also, the Nano looks like a Mini hollophane QSS!
The aresa looks interesting, though I'm not sure about the LED version!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:06 pm 

I quite like the look of the Nano and that it takes CFL and MH but its a pity that it also come with a SON option too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 pm 

I honestly think now that manufacturers should now stop offering SON options unless by special request.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:27 pm 

I agree as SON is too dazzly and should be only produced at special request, hopefully more expensive than their MH / CFL counterparts to encourage local authorities to think green.

MH and CFL gives off that safe welcome feel. I know that quite a few Saturns in South Yorkshire have been converted to run MH these are at Penistone and at Thorne North. Where as Silkstone Common still uses SON except the 'car park' which runs MH.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:30 pm 
Random avatar

I think it's still justifiable that new lanterns still have a SON option. After all, many councils that don't use PFIs are still installing a lot of SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:56 pm 

Indust wrote:
I think it's still justifiable that new lanterns still have a SON option. After all, many councils that don't use PFIs are still installing a lot of SON.

I think it is right that it is still offered, but it is the fault of councils for still specifying SON. Quite often money talks, when it comes to decision making, but in residential areas SON is not the cheap option, as compact fluorescent lanterns are typically cheaper to buy, even when comparing the same lantern but with different light sources, such as the Urbis Opalo. So already, SON in residential areas is a bit nonsense. It is where compact fluorescent cannot be used that SON is still the cheapest option, namely main road lighting.

Councils are at the stage with SON that they were with SOX about a decade ago. SOX lamps and lanterns were more expensive than SON lamps and lanterns, but councils continued to install SOX probably just because they didn't know any different and had not considered the alternatives. SON lamps and lanterns are more expensive than CFL lamps and lanterns, but again if councils are too stuck in their ways they will just continue as they are doing.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:36 pm 

I'll agree with steve about the main road lighting aspect. Even though I dislike SON being used at all nowadays, the simple fact is that other light sources are more expensive above 8-10m column heights. You can replace 90w SOX with a 90w PL-L Residium or Celest (as york has done in Chapelfields), but anything above 90w SOX can't be replaced by a cheaper white light source at present.
In terms of lanterns designed for minor roads, I really think the SON option should be phased out - older flourescent lanterns stopped being made because they were no longer the efficient light source of the time, and now the role has reversed in that sodium lighting is no longer as efficient as the new generation of fluorescent lighting. If companies still offer SON, then lazy council specifiers will just "go for that one" rather than having to actually think about what the results may be like.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:32 pm 
Random avatar

I'm quite surprised at my local council replacing a lot of older minor road SON lanterns in my area at the moment with new SON lanterns. What a wasted opportunity! The lanterns being used (WRTL 2600s and Vectras) both come with a CFL option so why not use that instead? Again it's lazy Lancashire where SON is king and the only white light used recently is LED which is inferior compared to (and probably dearer than) CFL anyway! On the plus side on some quieter roads 70w SON is being replaced with 50w so at least that makes some sense as at a 5m mounting height 70w can be a bit much!