It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New Urbis Products
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:48 pm 

From what I can make out, Urbis have really run down the options for the ZX range with what they now call the "ZX Standard Specification". Not only are the ZX12 and ZX2 no longer available, but the ZXU1 and ZX3 are only available in standard grey or optional black, and they no longer come with a 20mm hole for a NEMA photocell. The range of reflectors has also been rationalised slightly, which leads me on to my next point.

As we know, the ZXU1, ZX12, ZX2 and ZX3 all overlapped to a certain extent when it came to wattages, and the ZXU1 and ZX3 easily accommodate the loss of the ZX12 and ZX2 in terms of lamp types. Scrapping the ZX12/2 body will save costs for Urbis, but I also suspect they may have scrapped using the reflector type that was used in these lanterns. In my opinion the ZX2 was never optically as good as the ZX3, and the ZX1 has had better optical performance for many years.

If councils still want a functional lantern then councils are still well catered for. Those councils that used ZX12s and ZX2s will most likely just use ZXU1s and ZX3s. Most already have such a mix anyway. In a way their product offering is stronger for the rationalisation.

On the subject of rationalisation, on the continent Schreder have also discontinued their SOX lanterns and also the equivalent of the ZX4. Schreder's only real market for SOX lanterns was Belgium, and off the motorway the Belgians no longer seem to install SOX. As for the motorways, Belgium's motorway lighting is getting very neglected and any new lighting is SON or LED, so its market is dead.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:36 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

versalift09 wrote:
Now I never really saw the need for a ZX12 which seemed to basically do what a ZX1 does but was uglier...Be interesting to see everyone else's thoughts...

I believe the only reason Urbis released the ZX12 (in the mid-late '80s) was to offer a post-top suitable ZX1. Of course, this unique selling point was lost in the early-mid '00s with the release of the ZXU1.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:43 am 

And the more efficient optics for the ZX1 have been going since at least 2008, because I got a grey flatglass one that year and somebody (I believe it was Sotonsteve) commented that it had a brand new type of optic inside that was visually similar to that of  the Opalo.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:43 pm 
Random avatar

As you know, recently Urbis standardised the ZX specification into the ZXU1 and ZX3 with set lamps and very few configurable options. Well it seems that the Evolo has followed suit. Urbis now offer the Evolo 2 in a standard SON/CPO configuration. There's 1 reflector for SON with wattages from 50-150W and a reflector for CPO lamps from 45-140W. There's no mention of the Evolo 3 in the standardisation brochure, however there are still references to it on some of the product tabs.

This is quite a shock as the Evolo is still an infant compared to the ZX  and Sapphire series. I guess it's just another push towards the LED revolution.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 pm 
Random avatar

Installed fresh on Friday is this Urbis Hapiled. 16w LED with Lensoflex2 option as opposed to the Fortimo version. All in all a pretty sturdy offering and not too bad looking for an LED lantern  :)

Attachments:
DSC01135.JPG
DSC01135.JPG [ 125.61 KiB | Viewed 13198 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:29 am 

It looks very 'organic' if you see what I mean....

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:28 am 
Site Administration

Where are the LEDs, in the canopy or are in they those 2 curved bars which go from the base to the canopy?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:33 pm 
Random avatar

Yeah I think the etchings on the inside of the bowl have that effect Chris!
The led module is at the top covered by an opal dome to diffuse it. There is only one pipe going up through and that is purely to carry the supply flex. Same principle as the K-Lux.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:29 pm 
Random avatar

Looks quite at home in amongst the plants!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:59 am 

Self-supporting bowl design. Hopefully the geartray is a LOT lighter than on the K-Lux, as this has been a design weakness when it comes to vandalism.

Profile  Personal album