It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New Urbis Products
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:33 am 

mazeteam wrote:
They are a rather appealing design - and the supermarket has them in Group A and Group B versions, all on Abacus base hinged columns... of which the ones in the carpark have since had barriers/barricades installed round the bases to prevent cars hitting them, but also prevents them being lowered! Most run SON, but a few have CDO-TT lamps fitted... in SV the retail unit there is boarded up, but it is a now a Go Outdoors shop, but the lanterns remain.
MAZDA and EUROPHANE in were our two main streetlighting companies like WESTINGHOUSE and GE LIGHTING in the USA.

MAZDA had an agency in UK.

But their products don't permit to fix a photocell on them. I think that you can find them only in privates areas. I saw some MAZDA Comète P (lanterns on your google streetview's shots) in a gas station along a motorway between London and Bristol (in 1998). I know that there are MAZDA Lucé in several railway stations.

I have seen several photos with ECLATEC Clip in UK. But French products are very difficult to find in UK (as well as English products are very difficult to find in France, very rare Alpha 8 - all generations - Beta 79 and Z8600/MRL6 in 2-3 places). French products are easily to find in southern europe (Portugal, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Greece...) and in Africa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:56 pm 

The Eclatec Clip does sound familiar, I think they've been mentioned before where some have been installed.

http://phozagora.free.fr/?surfpage=Lanterne_Roissy
The lantern top right in this photo set was in a photo posted on Ukastle a few weeks back on a railway station platform - they've been nicknamed 'Hairdryers' because they look like those dome hair dryers women sit under in the salon!

http://phozagora.free.fr/?surfpage=Cata ... del=D00380
The lanterns in the left picture (second row) would have looked good had they been installed over here. On the right hand picture (second row) there is a lantern which looks awfully familiar to one of my favourites - the Eleco "Way" post top. (It is believed there were links between Philips lighting and Eleco)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:10 am 
Random avatar

What came first though, the Eleco Way or the Philips Eclairage France version? On that page there are also lookalikes of the Thorn Gamma 5 and Gamma 8  ;)

I really like the Philips NVF. Interesting that Philips Eclairage France were already making lanterns with the same name but in different size variants as far back as the 50s which is a relatively new phenomenon here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:20 am 

mazeteam wrote:
The Eclatec Clip does sound familiar, I think they've been mentioned before where some have been installed.

http://phozagora.free.fr/?surfpage=Lanterne_Roissy
The lantern top right in this photo set was in a photo posted on Ukastle a few weeks back on a railway station platform - they've been nicknamed 'Hairdryers' because they look like those dome hair dryers women sit under in the salon!
I think that you're talking about MAZDA Lucé, which really looks like PHILIPS Roissy.

But here, you have an example of PHILIPS Roissy in London
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2655 ... 11021u.png

mazeteam wrote:
The lanterns in the left picture (second row) would have looked good had they been installed over here. On the right hand picture (second row) there is a lantern which looks awfully familiar to one of my favourites - the Eleco "Way" post top. (It is believed there were links between Philips lighting and Eleco)
Yes it seems to be the same lantern.
It is known as PHILIPS Rhodes (or PHILIPS NX) there, but this is a very rare lantern in France. In France you can see the PHILIPS logo on it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:37 am 

Gramma6 wrote:
What came first though, the Eleco Way or the Philips Eclairage France version? On that page there are also lookalikes of the Thorn Gamma 5 and Gamma 8  ;)
Maybe at the same time.
Another funny example like this one.

In 1958 came PHILIPS NVF 1250. I really like this lantern. I have seen it in France, Tunisia, and on photos from Ivoiry Coast and Lebannon.

In 1967 came PHILIPS NVL and SCHREDER DM.

http://phozagora.free.fr/?surfpage=Cata ... del=D0047D
http://phozagora.free.fr/?surfpage=Cata ... del=D00184

We don't know how PHILIPS and SCHREDER could have sold exactly the same lantern. That stay an enigma. We only know that NVL and DM both appeared in 1967.

In France, most of them are from PHILIPS (around 80%), but there are olso some of them who are from SCHREDER (around 20%).

Outside France (Belgium, Neetherlands, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal...) ALL of them are from SCHREDER.

Gramma6 wrote:
I really like the Philips NVF. Interesting that Philips Eclairage France were already making lanterns with the same name but in different size variants as far back as the 50s which is a relatively new phenomenon here.
In some magazine who deals with streetlighting from 20's and 30's there were already a lot of PHILIPS publicities.
NV => System with two lateral mirrors along the lamp.
F => Fluorescent source (bulb).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:53 am 

I'm going to start a spin-off to this thread where we can discuss lanterns that are the same but sold by different manufacturers.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:35 pm 
Random avatar

http://www.urbisled.com/index.php/compo ... Itemid=108

The new Axia from Urbis- out April I believe... have seen a sample.
Could be big down the South West.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:44 pm 
Random avatar

Looks like the canopy fell off  :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:33 pm 

They must have been inspired by the ZX3 when it loses its canopy in high winds.  ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:04 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

It looks fairly akin to the ORANGETEK TERRALED lantern.

Profile  Personal album