It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Philips products
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:35 pm 

Those are not Residiums but WRTL Industria Libra lanterns.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:12 pm 

Philips appear to have changed their website, and it no longer lists many of their older lanterns. Having said that, it doesn't even list new lanterns like the Mini Iridium, so it could be another case of the Philips website being deceptive. Alternatively, Philips may have discontinued some of their products.

EDIT: I don't know what Philips Lighting GB website I visited, but the older, more recognisable Philips Lighting GB website still exists, so there are two websites side by side. Anyway, the older products are still listed, and there is also a Koffer2 LED (BGP070):

This lantern uses the long triangular prism shaped Philips Fortimo LED module, has a power consumption of 17w for the 1100 lumen LED module and 75w for the 4500 lumen LED module. There are two intermediate LED modules which produce 1800 and 3000 lumens for unspecified power consumptions.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:29 pm 

Their Aluroad lantern isn't listed with a PL-T option. If the lantern doesn't take this type of lamp then no wonder why the Aluroad isn't getting specified much!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:11 pm 
Random avatar

Is the AluRoad primarily a group A or B lantern or does it come in different sizes a la Iridium?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 pm 

I think it's just a group B lantern

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:54 am 

There are two sizes to cover lower and higher wattages.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:06 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

With regards to the website changing, don't forget that this is not the only time products have randomly disappeared. I remember the Trafficvision was taken off the website for quite a while, making me believe that it was no longer manufactured...that is until I saw them used on the M25 Heathrow widening!

Philips are probably trying to hide away the more archaic products (e.g. SGS203, FGS103/4/5 etc.) in order to encourage companies to only purchase the new products.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:20 pm 

Take a look at this Philips MA60 (SRS201). You may notice that it is fitted with two 90w SOX lamps rather than a single 180w SOX lamp. These lanterns, seen in Germany, were wired up for part night operation. At dusk both lamps in the lanterns would switch on, but at 10pm the lamp furthest from the bracket would switch off, effectively dimming the street lighting when traffic levels were lower.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:07 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
Take a look at this Philips MA60 (SRS201). You may notice that it is fitted with two 90w SOX lamps rather than a single 180w SOX lamp. These lanterns, seen in Germany, were wired up for part night operation. At dusk both lamps in the lanterns would switch on, but at 10pm the lamp furthest from the bracket would switch off, effectively dimming the street lighting when traffic levels were lower.

Even in the Netherlands never seen this version. We had a lot of double lamp SOX lanterns in the past but not in the SRS201 series.

A pity that I have missed them. I have visited Heidelberg two years ago. Very unique. Germany have very less SOX lighting and than find this unique species.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:15 am 

A few weeks ago I welcomed Phosco152, Simon Cornwell and sotonsteve to my corner of the country for a lantern swap and a tour of the local area. It was brilliant to be in the company of three people with infinitely more street-lighting knowledge than me, and the day offered me an opportunity to ask many questions that I have pondered over in the past.

One question stumped them, however. In 1986 when I was about 11 or 12, my Dad took me to the local district council's offices to meet a chap called Ray Smith, the district's lighting engineer at the time. Back then (1986 B.C. - before computers) it was impossible to find out who made what, so I was left to describe the lantern to the lighting engineer and let him name it for me - a process which worked rather well! When it was time to go, he kindly gave me the June 1986 issue of The Lighting Journal (the journal of the Institution of Lighting Engineers), which I still have to this day.

The magazine contained an advert for three newly-launched Philips side road lanterns, two of which were the MI26 and the MI36. Back in 1986, it was impossible to imagine a side road lantern that would be installed in such large quantities over the next 25 years that it would equal the Beta Five, but the MI26 has done just that. My question that stumped Phosco152, Simon Cornwell and sotonsteve was: whatever happened to that third side road lantern that Philips launched alongside the MI26 and MI36?

Sadly I was unable to locate the magazine during their visit, but I have found it now!

Well, we all know what happened to the MI26 and MI36. The mystery lantern is the H/SRS103 for 50w/70w SON or 125w MBF/U, which I can categorically say I have never seen installed anywhere! Can anyone shed any light on why the H/SRS103 bombed when the MI26 went stratospheric?

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.