It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Philips products
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:49 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

You are right trencheel303. Though if we weren't experience the LED revolution as seems to be the case, the SRS201 would have no doubt survived. Councils across the UK seem to be going on a mass LED roll-out, which will be affecting lanterns as new as the Iridums and Arcs, let alone SOX!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:25 pm 

The Iridium has probably had a good ten years as the dominant SON lantern, and is one if the icons of its generation, however it is almost totally obsolete.

Can Philips produce an LED lantern that becomes the standard like they did with the MA/SRS series and later the Iridium?

It will be interesting to see as there are a variety of LED manufacturers being trialed and installed across the UK. None that you could describe as dominant yet.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:10 am 
Founder
Random avatar

Quote:
Can Philips produce an LED lantern that becomes the standard like they did with the MA/SRS series and later the Iridium?

I suppose their vision is for the SpeedStar to fit this role.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:18 pm 
Random avatar

We are luckily a very long way away from SON and Metal Halide becoming 'obsolete' and so I don't think we'll see the demise of the Iridium any time soon. Let's hope real lamps keep being installed for years to come!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:00 pm 
Formerly Paspie

SON might not be dead but at what point will we be able to say LED is a mainstream light source? Today? Some time this year? The Highways Agency is still using Sapphires and Iridiums, most recently on the M25, M1 and the M62.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:33 pm 
Random avatar

LED is nowhere near becoming even vaguely mainstream. Whenever I see LED lanterns it actually comes as a surprise to me and so is a notable event (even though I hate the things). SOX is still far more common at least where I've been than any LED or even fluorescent.

As for the Iridium being dominant, I don't know why everyone thinks that as I find the Arc considerably more common. There are almost no places at all I've been where an Arc is not somewhere close by, either as a casual or as part of a group installation. Yet there are a lot of places where there are no Iridiums in sight for miles around.

I also don't possess the undying hate for the Iridium that quite a lot of my fellow enthusiasts do...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:06 am 
Random avatar

It will naturally to an extent depend on what county or area you live in.
In Cornwall for example Cosmopolis by far dominates although I have seen the odd LED casual replacement and occasionally you will find an old SON or SOX lamp has been "forgotten" by the contractors SSE.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:24 am 
Random avatar

Scotland has always been loyal to Thorn/Urbis.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 pm 

We are starting to wander off topic quite a bit here.

The Philips Iridium isn't a bad lantern. The styling isn't the worst, the build quality isn't the worst, it has decent optics and has proven very popular. However, it is so so common and a bit boring.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:59 pm 

QSM Quandary wrote:
I think bringing out the Selenium was the worst thing that Philips had ever done. I cannot see the point in it when there is the Iridium, Trafficvision, Koffer and SGS203. The Selenium otherwise may just be fine for cash strapped Eastern Europe or even Greece...

I have discovered a sight guaranteed to be even worse than mini Iridiums, Warwickshire Council had made the grave error of fitting Seleniums on 5m columns on a residential street in Leamington Spa. I reckon I have been down this street before as the original lanterns were GEC Z5670s with some Thorn Beta 79 retrofits.

EPIC FAIL, Warwickshire Council, epic fail!

Thats the kind of monstrosity I was hoping would not replace the beta 5s on my road, luckily the Phosco P567A looks ok post-topped at 6m.

Profile  Personal album