It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:29 pm 
Site Administration

Simon Cornwell's latest update is his documentation of the Richardson Candles in Cambridge.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:47 pm 

Wow, never knew about these. Wonder if any remain to this day....if so a trip to Cambridge might be considered ;)

Last edited by Stelmer on Wed May 11, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:01 am 

Yes there are still a good few left, as well as the odd Festival or two.
I'm after a 'candle' myself (it'll look good alongside its brother lantern!) and preferrably at least one set of the wall mounting brackets both suitable for the 'candles' and the Festivals.

This picture is worth a mention: imagine if we saw a similar scale of lighting replacements today - what is effectively replacing 5m columns with 35w SOX lanterns with 12m columns and dual 400w ZX4's!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:29 pm 
Site Administration

A bit before the York festivals were taken down, plans were announced to replace the Cambridge Candles with the modern installation Simon mentions in the article. As far as I know and the article doesn't I believe elaborate further, nothing more has happened since, and the Candles still survive. I last saw them about 5 years ago and they are certainly worth a visit.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:20 pm 

How large are the "Candles" as if *any* are coming down i wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:28 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
A bit before the York festivals were taken down, plans were announced to replace the Cambridge Candles with the modern installation Simon mentions in the article. As far as I know and the article doesn't I believe elaborate further, nothing more has happened since, and the Candles still survive. I last saw them about 5 years ago and they are certainly worth a visit.

Nothing has happened since and the Candles are all still there. In fact, everything in Cambridge is much the same.

All the best,
Simon

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:42 pm 

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
How large are the "Candles" as if *any* are coming down i wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.

Well, they are about the same size as a Revo Festival, and stood next to one of those I am smaller.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
Urbis Saturn Land wrote:

Well, they are about the same size as a Revo Festival, and stood next to one of those I am smaller.

I take it that it weighs the same or a little more as a Revo Festival because of the brackets.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:02 pm 

The brackets are seperate to the lanterns themselves... and the weight of the Candles will depend upon
  • control gear used
  • type of metal used in the components
  • size of components
and how these compare to the Festival. I think the Candles still have ballasts mounted on the central spine (as opposed to York's Festivals which had dual battens inside and thus there was extra weight from the metal of each batten), and as they don't quite project as far as the festivals (like the brim of the canopy) then they may be a touch heavier... but it's probably only by a few grams!

Nevertheless, if any come down I'd be very interested in one. It cost me roughly £60 for the festival (I think, but may have actually be more), which was a split between giving money to Don at AMEY for the lads getting them down safely and to John Thompson to help cover van hire and fuel. I would too be interested in the wall brackets, as I don't have any columns and in the future would like to have my Festival and (if I have one) a Candle mounted and in use somewhere.

USL - you'll have to size up my festival in diameter, height, and weight on your next visit, and this will give you an idea about the Candles.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:14 pm 

Read from Simon's article, I think they still run the old 80w quickstart gear like what I got from Claire. 4 of them would weigh quite a bit and involve lots of wiring but it's nice to think that they're relatively original still.

Last edited by Stelmer on Wed May 11, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album