It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:15 pm 

Those alumets do look really nice - but then again they have been mounted in a prime location for such a lantern, an area whereby general sideways amenity light is required and also bounces off the buildings to give the sense of being well lit.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:09 pm 
Random avatar

The whole design of those Alumets and their columns is a very smart, clean-cut design which I think suits that modern shopping centre type of environment really well. It just shows how ahead of their time the Festival/Candle were and this 'updated version' does look very contemporary indeed. One gripe is that they look like they could emit a lot of light pollution although there might be some sort of optical control system to avoid this (but looking at the pictures it doesn't look that way).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:09 am 

I wonder if the bowls to those Alumets can be aquired seperately, and whether they'd fit a Little Chef lantern...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:43 am 

I imagine so, as Thorn are bound to produce some spares for them,.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:34 pm 
Site Administration

The Alumet is no worse for light pollution above the horizontal than compared to post top lantern such as a Gamma 6, the top of the the light tube has a canopy so no light is emitted in the vertical direction from the top of the "bowl". In addition the fluorescent tube stops short of the top of the bowl.

The bowl itself is shorter, and of a smaller diameter, compared to a Little Chef lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:47 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
The bowl itself is shorter, and of a smaller diameter, compared to a Little Chef lantern.

Shame. If it had been the same size then (1) I would be able to get a replacement for my presently bowl-less lantern, and (2) we would then be more sure the lantern is likely to be of Thorn/Atlas lineage.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:28 pm 

Prompted by Simon Cornwell's appearance on our regional news programme Look East last week, which reported on the imminent destruction of Cambridge's iconic Richardson Candles by the PFI (see this thread on StreetlightingUK), I leapt in the car last Sunday afternoon and took the short trip up to Cambridge to see the lanterns in the flesh for the very first, and almost certainly the very last time too. In the lyrics of Marc Almond, I said hello and waved them goodbye :-(

Sadly I missed the Look East programme, and also missed it on iPlayer by a few hours, so I do not know the date they are due to be removed, if this has already been set. There didn't seem to be much evidence of a PFI on the day I travelled to Cambridge, but my journey was limited to just one road in and another road out.

This Richardson Candle in Trumpington Street compliments the architecture of the Fitzwilliam Museum behind it. A few streets in the city centre still have many Richardson Candles lighting them.

As well as the many post-mounted Richardson Candles, several wall-mounted Candles can be found in the city centre, like this one in Wheeler Street.

According to Simon Cornwell's excellent write up on the Richardson Candles, the installation is now well over fifty years old, which was double their design life.

This may explain why it seemed like, on the day I visited, about a quarter of them were dayburning, a quarter of them didn't seem to have enough power to illuminate their tubes and just flickered away - irrespective of whether they were dayburning or tried to come on at the right time, a further quarter of them functioned perfectly well, but another quarter of them didn't light at all. These dayburning examples were in Trumpington Street.

On his web site, Simon Cornwell documents a trial designed to extend the life of the Richardson Candles, by converting them to use a modern light source and modern optics. Only one of the converted Candles remains (in Trumpington Street), but it was one of the day-burners last Sunday.

The proposed replacements for the Richardson Candles are already installed opposite King's College in King's Parade, but the Candles they are replacing are still in situ and still switched to the supply, although that does not guarantee they work at night. The new, more directional 'needle' lanterns run metal halide lamps and do vastly improve the level of illuminance along King's Parade.

The Richardson Candles are classed as a Group A lighting installation, and would be inappropriate for some of Cambridge city centre's narrower roads and footpaths. Thankfully, there are a few ancient Group B installations to fill in the gaps.

When night falls, those Candles that still work switch on, and the dusk street scenes are well worth seeing if the journey is not too far. Cambridge has free parking in many city-centre locations all day on Sundays.

Also switching on at dusk were these wall-mounted Group B two-forty fluorescents in Botolph Lane and Free School Lane.

The view south along Trumpington Street at dusk is reminiscent of a bygone age, and within a few weeks or months, this street scene will be no more. There are two more Candles in this street scene, but both of them failed to light.

Those of you with keen eyes may have spotted that the closest lantern in the previously posted photo is not a Richardson Candle at all, but is in fact a REVO Festival. Now York's Festivals have gone, is this the last working REVO Festival on a public highway in the UK?

Another street scene from Trumpington Street that can be enjoyed for the very short duration it remains.

A Richardson Candle in St John's Street. The greatest regret about the Candles is that, although they use four 80w fluorescent tubes which sounds like it should be plenty of light, their design means they are easily outperformed, even by modern side road lanterns which, unlike the Candles, direct the light down on to the pavement and road.

This 'fault' has been their downfall and means they do regrettably belong to a bygone era and are not suitable for a modern city.

The debate about Cambridge's unique Richardson Candles, as mentioned on Look East and discussed in the local paper, will surely continue until they meet their modern-day reaper - who carries a disc-cutter in place of his scythe - and they are never seen again.

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:13 pm 

A superb and thoughtful post David; it is inevitable that the Candles will have to go at some point, but its nice to think that they have survived long enough for today's generation to witness them, and get a feel for how our city streets were illuminated 50 years ago. Fantastic pictures as always.

Claire

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:26 pm 

Excellent photographs and write up David.

I really hope negotiations are in place to save some (hopefully all) of these iconic lanterns. Them GEC Two-Fourties really need to be saved too. Ideally preserved in situ and still used.

Last edited by Stelmer on Wed May 11, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:19 pm 

Same here, I do hope that they can be saved. So whoever is doing the PFI replacement in Cambridge could really be notified that there is some intrest in these iconic lanterns to rescued and preserved.

As always great pics, David.

Profile  Personal album