It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:46 am 

All I know is there was lots of demand for the Festivals when they came down...
(which reminds me that I really ought to get mine in a more secure state - some straps to keep it next to the wall and keep it in a safe area so I can finally take the two duvets I presently have wrapped around the outside of it!)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:01 pm 

I was surprised to learn that you can still buy brand new Festivals from Candela Traditional Lighting Limited in Birmingham!

Just as fascinating is that even these replica Festivals haven't moved away from using fluorescent tubes.

The Festival, as pictured on Candela's web site. I'm not sure if this is one of Candela's Festivals, or an old picture of a REVO Festival in situ. It's certainly not one of York's because Mazeteam's one was painted black.

For those of you wanting to know the approximate dimensions of Cambridge's Richardson Candles, this PDF document from Candela about their Festival lists dimensions of 2 metres high by 450mm diameter, so the best of luck to anyone wishing to hide a Festival or a Candle from the prying eyes of their parents!

Oh heck, why don't Colchester install these in their tourist areas, instead of SON P111s. That way I'd get one outside my house without even asking for it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 pm 

I don't know where that pictured example is, but it certainly isn't one of York's former ones. Without standing in my garage right now and having a look (which I'm not doing because it's raining!) I don't know what differences between the Candela version and the original - but going by this picture, there's not a lot in it. (the Candela one may be able to use T5 fluorescent tubes, but that can't be seen on the outside)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:46 pm 
Random avatar

I think Cambridge should use LED technology to improve their remaining Candles and keep them running. Surely it would be possible to subtly fix white LEDs around the bowl? That replacement DW Windsor installation that looks like a needle is not suitable at all in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:20 pm 

Alternatively, they could put in LED fluorescent tubes!

Example picture of LED 'fluorescent' tubes.

I also think there wouldn't be a problem keeping them going with the more modern T8 tubes if they wanted to do that (assuming they haven't already been converted). My reservation with LED tubes is that they might be quite a disappointment where lighting levels are concerned. Anyone who has bought one of those LED bi-pin spot lights (to replace a halogen one) from the local DIY store will know that calling them a replacement bulb really is stretching the Trades Descriptions Act. Similarly, all of those 'superbright' LED torches, which are still no match for the old krypton or agron variety!

Gramma6 wrote:
That replacement DW Windsor installation that looks like a needle is not suitable at all in my opinion.

You could try and push a small camel through the eye of that needle!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:15 am 

I think that LED's in their present state wouldn't give enough light inside the Candles. My only idea would be a series of baffle cones with multiple Cosmo or CFL lamps inside.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:16 pm 
Random avatar

David wrote:
Alternatively, they could put in LED fluorescent tubes!

Example picture of LED 'fluorescent' tubes.

I also think there wouldn't be a problem keeping them going with the more modern T8 tubes if they wanted to do that (assuming they haven't already been converted). My reservation with LED tubes is that they might be quite a disappointment where lighting levels are concerned. Anyone who has bought one of those LED bi-pin spot lights (to replace a halogen one) from the local DIY store will know that calling them a replacement bulb really is stretching the Trades Descriptions Act. Similarly, all of those 'superbright' LED torches, which are still no match for the old krypton or agron variety!

mazeteam wrote:
I think that LED's in their present state wouldn't give enough light inside the Candles. My only idea would be a series of baffle cones with multiple Cosmo or CFL lamps inside.

To be fair from what I've read the Candles don't give off much useful light anyway. Also the idea above has already been trialled with normal MH lamps and it didn't prove a success. Maybe they could try it with CFL (PL-L lamps) though as at least this is a linear light source which the Candles are more suited to?

David wrote:
Gramma6 wrote:
That replacement DW Windsor installation that looks like a needle is not suitable at all in my opinion.

You could try and push a small camel through the eye of that needle!

:lol: I like the installation a lot but in Cambridge it wouldn't look right! They need something that sympathises with the architectural surroundings which I think the Candles do perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:35 pm 

Although not quite on the topic of Richardson Candles and Revo Festivals, the Lion Walk Shopping Centre in Colchester town centre was recently refurbished, and I wonder if the spirit of the new lighting, if perhaps not the style, brings back happy memories for some people...

New candle-style lanterns have been installed in the main shopping precinct. These replaced MBF-running globe lanterns so it's a white light-for-white light swap. Photograph taken in November 2010 (hence the snow on the ground).

And where the precinct narrows, wall-mounted 'candles' have been used! Photograph taken in November 2010.

I cannot guarantee they run fluorescent tubes - in fact I'd be surprised if they do! My money's on the LED replacement tube shown above, but if anyone can identify the new lanterns we may be able to get a definitive answer!

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:41 pm 
Site Administration

The new style "candles" you have pictured are Thorn Alumets. There are several of them where I work. They do run fluorescent tubes although probably T5 types as even the T8 tube seems to be obsolete in modern commercial/industrial fluorescent fittings, eg for offices. They are actually quite effective although the spacing is "short" comparable to your picture.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:56 pm 

I think these Thorn Alumets would be suitable to replace those Urbis Albanies in York as with them the nut holding the lantern on the bracket would shear off and the lantern would be stuck spinning on the bracket (Chris would explain more as he's got one in his collection).

So these Alumets is basically a recycled design from the Festival / Candle.

Profile  Personal album