It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 am 

York has about 2,500 Jets installed... 2,000 are 42W to replace 80-125W MBFU lanterns, and then 400 57W ones to replace 90W SOX, and the rest are 42W ones to replace 35W SOX in Bishopthorpe. They are installed on the old columns at the old spacings, and because they run CFL the light output is actually quite well balanced

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll= ... 1,,1,-4.02
These are the ones closest to my HQ, and whilst they looked odd at first I have got used to them... and they are a similar size to a side entry merc lantern so don't look particularly out of place. The only dark spot is where that Audi is parked, right where the road condition is at its worst, and this is because an infill column is required and never has been installed (instead there is an infill column opposite the school gates, about 2m from that concrete with a swan neck and GEC Z9539 - column has since been removed and I have the lantern and clock)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:08 am 

I don't mind Thorn as a brand, but its once dominant position as a big player of street lighting manufacturers back in the 1980s, nowadays seems like a distant faded memory.

Back in the 1980s I am pretty sure every borough in London had the wonderful Alpha 8 and the timeless Alpha 4 ( whilst most definitely had/have the Beta 5, Beta 79 and the Gamma 6), whereas contrast it with the late 90s/early 00s, and the boroughs that still used Thorn products is Bromley (Riviera,Gamma basique) and Hillingdon (Riviera) and the city (Civic)... although there is probably a few more.

Today the Thorn brand is has become about as dominant as other forgotten brands like Phosco (non-existant in London since the 00s) and Holophane (used once or twice by TFL as a cheap one-of replacements for most of Mile End Road, part of Blackfriars bridge and part of Edgware Road).

However last year, in there run up to the Olympics, Transport for London casually replaced some old Thorn, GEC and Eleco lanterns with the Thorn Oracle (which is quite possibly a first for London).

Personally I really like the look of the Oracle, it appears to be an evolutionary design from the Riviera/Alpha 2000, which admittedly had potential, but poor quality and bulky, ill proportioned, ugly design stopped it from being a true successor to the fantastic Alpha 8 and ultimately failing to compete against the ZX2/SGS203 in London.

My question is this; I really like the looks of the Oracle, but the only ones in London appear to be the smallest ones, therefore does anybody know of a good Google maps location of the Thorn Oracle and potentially, the larger versions?

It would be most appreciated  :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:50 pm 
Random avatar

Just come across this company selling lanterns that look a lot like the Thorn Gamma 3 and 5

http://www.pierlite.com/au/16292/lunar-major

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:46 am 
Site Administration

Alpha mike wrote:
Just come across this company selling lanterns that look a lot like the Thorn Gamma 3 and 5

http://www.pierlite.com/au/16292/lunar-major

The "Gamma 5" actually looks to be a GEC5680.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:47 am 

... a Z5680 with canopy clips instead of the tricky screw thread which you can't see when you're trying to get the canopy on.

also, this page has a few familiar lanterns:
http://www.pierlite.com/au/10124/roadway

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 am 

The Roadmaster looks like a GRP copy of the MRL6 / Z8600 and the Roadmax a GRP copy of the SRL8.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:51 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

But hasn't the MRL 6 always been a GRP lantern?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:53 pm 
Random avatar

I have heard of aluminium ones in Australia, but never know of any in the UK.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:11 am 

Alex wrote:
But hasn't the MRL 6 always been a GRP lantern?

Yes, but I used the term GRP copy instead of carbon copy, a play on words.

Oddly enough, I wonder if we would see carbon lanterns manufactured by Thorn sometime in the future?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:23 am 
Random avatar

Until the price of carbon fibre drops, I doubt it.

Profile  Personal album