It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:40 am 
Random avatar

It's the same as that but with a clear bowl, you can still see the lamp. I believe its been hardly used.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:15 am 
Random avatar

If it has a white spot on the bowl, it could be a slighly later example than the one David posted.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:31 am 
Random avatar

Yes I think it does have a white spot, I'll check next time I go past. Does that make it a Thorn version?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:39 pm 

I think it'd still be an Atlas... because I have handled Atlas branded ones that had the hinged bowl with bowl clips on the canopy (they were on an old wrecked garage on the A64)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:59 am 
Random avatar

Well the garage is up for sale but it is a BG one. Whether this is a private garage or part of a chain I don't know. I shall keep an eye on it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:56 am 
Random avatar

I had a wander around the rather rundown Burn Hall Industrial Estate in Fleetwood yesterday and came across these Alpha Ones for the first time in the flesh (was never quite sure where this picture was taken!). The one in the foreground is probably the best condition one as most of them have smashed opticells.

The Thorn aluminium columns are still in good condition however and are mounted on base plates.

It's quite clear these lanterns haven't been maintained in years and neither have the roads in the area looking at the state of them!

This estate isn't maintained by the council but is owned by ICI. Their factories in the area closed down in about 1998 so this is probably why the estate has turned into such a dump! I hope the rent is cheap, it must be dark around there at night!  :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:02 am 

Odd... that column looks like it is mid-hinged. There is a lump halfway up the column shaft that is about the right size and shape for the hinge, and towards the bottom it looks like there is a split in the metal (where you'd put the long rope for a mid-hinged column) and a band of some sort.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:00 pm 
Random avatar

Going a bit off topic here but on an industrial estate in Blaydon, I remember seeing a drop down column with a old Areaflood on top, i presume the base-hinge mechanism had failed as it has a length of rope was tied from the column to a tree, it also had rope tied round the base as well as a heck of a lot of gaffa tape. Baring in mind the columns are 8 metre tall and severely rusted they should of been replaced years ago.

A few months later they were replaced with 5 metre base hinged columns and Small Sonpacks on top running 70watt SON. Its a good job they were replaced before winter came.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:13 am 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
Odd... that column looks like it is mid-hinged. There is a lump halfway up the column shaft that is about the right size and shape for the hinge, and towards the bottom it looks like there is a split in the metal (where you'd put the long rope for a mid-hinged column) and a band of some sort.

Yep I make you right, those columns are mid-hinged. I don't know why though because the road is easily accessible by a cherry-picker! Very strange.

Scott15 wrote:
Going a bit off topic here but on an industrial estate in Blaydon, I remember seeing a drop down column with a old Areaflood on top, i presume the base-hinge mechanism had failed as it has a length of rope was tied from the column to a tree, it also had rope tied round the base as well as a heck of a lot of gaffa tape. Baring in mind the columns are 8 metre tall and severely rusted they should of been replaced years ago.

:shock: Sounds like a health & safety nightmare although a lot of these private industrial estates have lighting in a shocking, unsafe state. I remember one such estate in Poulton had a concrete column which snapped at the base and was lying on the pavement next to where it used to stand, complete with bracket and smashed lantern! That was about 20 years ago now though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:06 am 
Random avatar

Thorn must still have Alpha8 lanterns in stock or prehaps it was a spare from the depot but Northumberland C.C have installed a new one up in Morpeth.

Profile  Personal album