It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:53 pm 
Random avatar

Hello,

Thanks for the help, I got a job lot of ignitors and my Gamma 6 is working again

http://www.ukastle.co.uk/imgsrv.php?i=h ... ge_id=3085

I'd really like to add some more now, (or similar SON) the other garden lights are much less interesting and with standard energy saver type bulbs.  Other than auction sites,... do local councils scrap them/sell to the public ?

thanks
andrew

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:42 pm 

Thorn has had a cull of some of its older HID lantern designs, including the Riviera, Civic and Jet. The only "functional" non-LED lanterns now available are the Celest, Isaro and Oracle.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:10 pm 

Just a quick post for a change!

I've just noticed Thorn's new product launch for 2018 includes a range of lanterns under their "Flow" branding.

One of the lanterns can be supplied with a curved bracket, which although modern in design, seems to have a degree of deference to those that have gone before it.

Nice to see that even in this day and age, the humble swan neck bracket is still "on trend".

Is it me, or do you almost feel that a solitary, surviving Stanton 7A may have provided some minor influence in this design?

Attachments:
flow1.jpeg
flow1.jpeg [ 13.55 KiB | Viewed 24096 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:42 pm 

An excellent example of how just a hint of design and flair can change your feelings towards losing old stock. If those were being installed instead of unpainted post top V-max's I dont think we we would be quite as sad about change.

Sadly the people making these decisions do not give a damn about heritage, aesthetics etc.

Sadly im happy to bet this design will be limited to the occasional private/commercial installation and not the streets of the UK where we would like to see it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:11 pm 

Unfortunately it appears that the Oracle is now discontinued.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:54 pm 

I think this was discontinued some time ago. Thorn had a big purge of discharge lighting many months to a couple of years ago, so it could focus on LED, which is where the future is at.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:45 pm 

The last London Borough to be predominantly Thorn is Havering, as they use Isaros (both the original and pro version) on side roads and R2L2s on main roads. Newham also has some Thorn R2L2s, although they only exist on side roads from what I’ve seen.

Profile  Personal album