It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:19 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Indust - in a different thread - wrote:
180w GEC Z9565s from Luton:

Believe it or not, this is an unspoilt view!

That is fantastic! It is always a shame that usually at least one GEC brick would be casually replaced by a MA60, thus defeating the purpose of full cut-off lighting around airports!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:11 pm 

Alex wrote:
That is fantastic! It is always a shame that usually at least one GEC brick would be casually replaced by a MA60, thus defeating the purpose of full cut-off lighting around airports!

The later Philips family of low pressure sodium lanterns (the MA50, MA60 and MA90) can also be configured to give a cut-off optical distribution. It requires the installer to move the bulbholder further into the canopy of the lantern - positions are clearly marked. However, this requires the installer to have the knowledge to do so...

All the best,
Simon

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:19 pm 
Random avatar

Yes, though some of the Bricks might as well not be cut-off, considering some have turned on their brackets! Would be great to see some photos of these if anyone's fairly local :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:43 pm 

Alex wrote:
It is always a shame that usually at least one GEC brick would be casually replaced by a MA60, thus defeating the purpose of full cut-off lighting around airports!

Simon Cornwell wrote:
The later Philips family of low pressure sodium lanterns (the MA50, MA60 and MA90) can also be configured to give a cut-off optical distribution. It requires the installer to move the bulbholder further into the canopy of the lantern - positions are clearly marked. However, this requires the installer to have the knowledge to do so...

I'm glad that Philips do not market their MA series/SRS201s as full cut-off lanterns as, thanks to their shallow U-shaped bowls, such a claim would be a blatant lie!

Of the two types of lantern (the GEC brick and the Philips SRS series) the GEC brick can claim to be the only truly full cut-off SOX lantern, but only when it's fitted with the flat-glass panel. The GEC bricks with the bowls that protrude below the canopy will still leak some light above the horizon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:00 pm 
Random avatar

David wrote:
The GEC bricks with the bowls that protrude below the canopy will still leak some light above the horizon.

I'm glad you mentioned those! I never really saw the point of the bowled GEC Bricks as wasn't the design of the Brick meant to be primarily for use where full cut-off was necessary eg, next to railway lines and airports? Didn't providing a bowled option defeat the object somewhat?  :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:01 pm 
Site Administration

The GEC Catalogue states "cutoff" with high downward light output ratio of up to 73%.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:52 pm 

David wrote:
I'm glad that Philips do not market their MA series/SRS201s as full cut-off lanterns as, thanks to their shallow U-shaped bowls, such a claim would be a blatant lie!

They did.

Philips Street Lighting Catalogue, Roadlighting, Circa 1976, "MA SOX Range"

Second sentence: "Unique optics provide both 'cut-off' and 'semi cut-off' distribution in one lantern."

What's your definition of "cut off?" I think there might be some confusion here.

All the best,
Simon

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:21 pm 
Random avatar

Simon Cornwell wrote:
What's your definition of "cut off?" I think there might be some confusion here.

My assumed definition is no light above the horizontal plane of the lantern.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:40 am 

How I see it as, is basically a lantern which has flat glass as apposed to a bowl.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:31 am 
Random avatar

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
How I see it as, is basically a lantern which has flat glass as apposed to a bowl.

Well by that definition, a Philips MA definitely couldn't be a full cut-off lantern no matter where you set the lamp in it!  ;)