It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:01 pm 

The P567A canopy to me appears to be made out of GRP - then again it's probably the photo confusing me - as opposed to aluminium. The 'A' probably means (CU)Phosco 567 Aluminium to give it its 'codebreaker' name. I think Kirklees Council will be pleased as they can start post topping more lanterns! :?   :roll:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:36 am 
Random avatar

The original Phosco P567 must be quite old by now. The oldest ones in my area date back to 1995. Never a particular favourite of mine, I find the roads lit by it rather dull and uninviting and yet the council here used the P567 on roads which are used as more of a 'ratrun' than the other side roads.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:48 am 
Random avatar

I remember reading that the MRL6 is not available in the UK? If this is true it'll be to promote the 2-tone, Arc, Airtrace etc.  

To be fair the MRL6 may be a good lantern of its time but it cant compete with the Arc, Iridium, Sapphire and I don't think it offers a white light option i.e. Cosmo, MBI.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:03 pm 

The MRL6 is still available in the UK, as is the SRL8 (now called the SRL8F because it has a Vectra-style faceted reflector). It can be fitted with white light such as CDO-TT, as these lamps run on SON gear.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:35 pm 
Random avatar

Okay, I read it once somewhere, but presumed it was true as Gateshead were big WRTL fans and installed lots of thier lighting equipment. But they kept installing SRL8 but stopped with the MRL6 so I presumed it discontinued. They now use the Iridium.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:09 pm 

Kirklees is a big fan of the WTRL MRL6. Most of Kirklees's roads has these lanterns in use but some are now getting replaced with WRTL Arc's so the 'blandathon' continues.

Calderdale has only used the MRL6 on the A641 from Brighouse to the Kirklees boundary up at Toothill as the rest of the borough of Calderdale uses either in the lower valley Alpha 8's and Arc's where as in the upper valley ZX3's and Trafficvisions are employed.

I do think that in a few years time, around 2015 / 16 the entire lot of West Yorkshire's lighting stock would only consist of ZX3's, Arc's, Sapphire's and Iridium's and any of the interesting gear will only be 'exclusively' found down hidden side roads, avenues and if its really narrow on paved bridleways, that is of course if there is any lighting down one.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:56 pm 
Random avatar

Same with Newcastle, its practically an Arc city with a few Thorn Alpha2000s, Sapphires and ZX3s and all apart from the city centre, run SON. Wait 'till the whole county goes this way.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:13 pm 

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
any of the interesting gear will only be 'exclusively' found down hidden side roads, avenues and if its really narrow on paved bridleways, that is of course if there is any lighting down one.

I was suprised at a find a couple of weeks back in Pudsey. Right in the middle of PFI replacements, a back lane has an old gas column with ladderbar and mounting frong still in place... I expect other back lanes maybe even have full gas lanterns too. Eventually, it'll be these places that have anything unconventional down them.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:56 pm 
Random avatar

There is a few remains of columns from, years ago mainly the ones that would of burned sewer gases however none have lanterns any more and a few long abandoned GLS lanterns are dotted around. There is also a few complete gas lanterns belonging to a large house near me. There must be about 8 in total, all are in good condition, however none have ever worked and are there for nothing more than decoration. All the gas gear is still intact, however the two at the entrance to the house are fitted with GLS bulbs, but the gas attachments still remain.

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: South Coast PFI
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:37 pm 

Quite possibly. To be honest, in some places too there is a modal shift away from egg-shaped lanterns and more towards square and oblong lanterns (2tone, QSM/S, Libra, Stela, Speedstar)

Profile  Personal album