It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:56 am 

Yes, and I would have those same lanterns in that same generation set as well :)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:25 am 

The WTRL Arc could possibly count as a 'lamp hybrid' as some are SON but others are either Cosmo or MH. So that could come under a 1st generation MH lantern too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:52 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I often think of the Arc as a 'hybrid' lantern too, though not as much as the Delta/2600 which can accommodate SOX!

Gramma6 wrote:
I always think of SON lanterns in an age/design bracket. To use GEC/WRTL and Thorn as an example:
1st generation: GEC Turtle/Alpha 3
2nd generation: MRL6/Alpha 8
3rd generation: Vectra/Alpha 2000
4th generation: Arc/Oracle

But that's just me  ;)

To include Philips and Urbis:

2nd generation: SGS203/DZ15 and Z1/2/3
3rd generation: Trafficvision/ZX series
4th generation: Iridium/Sapphire

5th generations could include the Airtrace, Iridium 2 and Evolo?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:00 pm 

I'd agree with the Airtrace, Iridium 2 and Evolo as the fifth generation, even then the Iridium 2 could be classed as a hybrid 1st generation lantern too as it would take a MH lamp. I do think most lanterns that are designed now (those of which will probably be brought out in production within the next 5 years or so) will be 'white light source' only which in turn will kill off SON completely.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:07 pm 
Random avatar

Something that crossed my mind the other day was that you see a lot of these modern lanterns that use CDM-T or CPO-TW lamps using small reflectors. Are they actually necessary? When you compare the arc tubes of a low wattage SON lamp and a CPO-TW lamp, the size difference isn't drastically different. Especially not to warrant a completely new reflector. When I've been out around Sheffield Station at night, with all their Thylias running CDM-T, yes the light output is very even but I don't consider it to be very bright and the output is definately not what I'd call 'controlled'. They just seem to throw light about everywhere. What are your thoughts?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:30 pm 

You should see the Miniridiums in Leeds... you could tanned to the shade of 'essex orange' under one of those! They have Cosmo lamps in, and the reflector is specially designed as such, but because it's a small reflector there is far too much glare - whereas a larger reflector gives more room to spread the shape of the arc tube and so less glare. As far as I know, the Thylia's can also take SON lamps, so they probably don't have specially-designed reflectors. I have a WRTL Vectra and an Urbis ZX1 that take CDM capsule lamps and don't have specially designed reflectors and they work fine.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:46 am 

I wish the LED lantern manufacturers would incorporate some sort of light defusing bowl or frosted glass/plastic immediately beneath the led arrangement. As they are now I find them ridiculously glary.

I personally prefer the look of existing conventional lanterns with retrofitted led modules, although I appreciate its probably not time or cost effiecient.

As for the rest of modern lanterns - they all remind me of these
http://www.freestockphotos.biz/pictures/10/10242/mouse.jpg

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:36 pm 
Random avatar

SilverRay88 wrote:
I wish the LED lantern manufacturers would incorporate some sort of light defusing bowl or frosted glass/plastic immediately beneath the led arrangement. As they are now I find them ridiculously glary.

I agree with you there. Luckily, as part of Holophane's 'Denver Elite' range they have an LED based road lantern with a prismatic diffuser for LED lamps :)

http://www.holophane.co.uk/denver-elite-pole.html

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:24 pm 
Random avatar

Urbis Saturn Land's post about Subway lights prompted me to think about some Urbis Limpets we have in Plymouth.
I'm not sure of the date, but I'd guess this pair on a bridge are mid 90s Limpets. They appear to be an earlier design which is a box steel with a 1312 ZX2 deep bowl optic mounted on it.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Manado ... ,,1,-22.31

The modern Limpet is a more streamlined aluminium design with its own glass fronted optic.
http://www.lightgb.myfreeola.com/lights ... limpet.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:53 am 

The old Limpet does look rather ugly, I must say. We have Limpets on the underside of some bridges, such as on cycle tracks. The back exit from the train station also has Limpets fitted.

Profile  Personal album