It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Identifiable at Night
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:04 am 

On my way back from Rochdale on the train, I saw a lantern which was readily identifiable even though it was night time... and this got me thinking.

We take daytime pictures and can readily identify lanterns in the daytime, but what about at night when the body of the lantern cannot be seen? What lanterns have such a distinctive optic that we can still identify them on that alone?

The lantern that prompted me to think about this was an Mk3 Thorn Alpha 8 - it's 'coffin profile' optic when viewed from below is a straight giveaway. But what other lanterns can be identified so easily at night when travelling at 20-30mph? And what poor examples are there, which could possibly be mistaken for something else (ie, an Arc with a bowl could just as easily be an Iridium with a bowl)

Another good example is the GEC Brick. There are a few other obvious good examples and I'm thinking about lanterns that most of us will see - so I'm not thinking about rare lanterns like Revo Seagulls!)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:16 am 

I can identify most lanterns at night  ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:47 pm 
Random avatar

I think the MRL6 is a lantern that cannot be mistaken as it has a shape like no other lantern, and the bowled versions are very easy to identify at night.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:01 pm 

yes, the MRL6 was one I hadn't thought of.

One I thought of today is the miniridium... due to it's small size and immense amounts of glare, it'd be hard to mistake this for something else at night. If you've never seen a miniridium lit, then just know that you'd probably get less glare by installing cheapo halogen floodlights on the columns!

(I think sotonsteve is showing off! :P )

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:07 am 
Random avatar

The SRL8 is easily identifiable due to the wedge-shape of the bowl. The 2600 is easy to spot too as no SON lantern has quite as much bowl area as one of those! Finally, the Alpha 3 has a very distinctive bowl-shape too. I think more modern lanterns are harder to tell apart, especially those with flat-glass.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:09 am 
Random avatar

I can't say ive ever seen a mini-iridium lit. The council don't use a great range of lanterns round here, but the bowled version of the Urbis ZUX1, that bowl is unmistakeable.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:12 am 
Random avatar

Most SOX lanterns are hard to tell apart at night, exceptions include the Philips MA-series with it's rounded profile and the Eleco GR-series with it's coffin-shaped bowl.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:45 am 

I was hoping somebody would mention the Phillips MA series, as that was one of the "obvious" lanterns I was inferring to in my first post.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:40 am 
Random avatar

I was looking at some lanterns on my way home tonight and the WRTL Vectra is another distinctive lantern to spot after dark. The optic seems to have this grooved bit to it on the pavement side which stands out at night.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:57 am 

Unfortunately, not many LED lanterns nowadays can be identified at night as they mostly contain the same array of LEDs on a flat panel. The only LED lanterns I can think of that can be identified at night is the CU Phosco P850, the TRT Aspect and possibly the Holophane V-Max.

Profile  Personal album