It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:47 pm 
Random avatar

The A48 Briton Ferry bridge is having a bit of a refit at the moment, renewing the road surface etc. Part of the works involved new lighting, and as I passed this evening, I was surprised to see that the new lighting was LED. I could not get a good photo of the lanterns due to only a mobile phone camera avaliable, and with the lanterns being lit caused a total washout of the picture!
They are about 2-3ft long, and the LED's are arranged along its length in two distinct (when directly underneath them) lines. The only photo I got is a shot from one end of the bridge, clearly showing the difference from the surrounding SOX lanterns of the roundabout.

I was very impressed by the light given out by the lanterns, and a massive improvement from 'dirty' SOX or SON. Look forward to seeing much more.

Nearby, two streets in Briton Ferry were converted to different lantern types a few months ago. One using WRTL LED Stelas, the other CFL Libras. I thought it must be a trial for future renewals, and seems I was right, as Neath Port Talbot council recently unveiled plans for major streetlight works..
http://www.npt.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=2482&pr_id=4282

I for one welcome our white light overlords!  :D

Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:27 am 

I have seen main road LED in use in Middlesbrough, and it does seem very effective.

As for the proposed council works, this appears to be a bulk replacement program that verges on the border of being a PFI. The first stage is a replacement of 4,000 wood pole units... if you bear in mind that York's mercury lantern bulk replacement consisted of 2,000 units and has taken over a year to do (we're at 18 months, and there's still roughly 30 units left), then NPT have set themselves quite a task!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:28 am 
Random avatar

I'm surprised at how fast LED lighting has become popular in this country considering the relatively slow uptake in MH and CFL with some areas still having very little use of those light sources yet LED is spreading across the UK like wildfire! As posted elsewhere there is even now a motorway slip road off the M6 near Warrington which has LED lighting. I saw those for myself the other day, in the daytime sadly. I quite like how they look as unlike SON lanterns they suit the highway hockeystick brackets much better as they're of similar proportions to Phillips MA lanterns.

No group A LED lighting in my area yet though sadly, LED is still confined mostly to cul-de-sacs on modern estates though seeing as how they use 18LED Stelas with their feebly dim light, it's probably just as well! :roll: