It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Siemens MRL luminaires
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:04 pm 
Random avatar

The MRL luminaire series was been not available in Germany but somehow I will get  the MRL BW series for SON from time to time here. You members know a lot about MRL types 5 , 6 etc. So I'm interested which versions existed from the MRL series with the same bowl holders like the BW. I ask because I heard about these lanterns only in English spoken countries.
Thank you for your help.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:13 am 

The only MRL I know about is the MRL6 - which started off life as the GEC Z8600. The design was later taken on by Osram Lighting, Phosco, Siemens, and then WRTL (also called 'Industria' overseas)... only Siemens and WRTL called the lantern the MRL6.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:36 pm 
Random avatar

Now I saw on other forums the Siemens Broadway lights too that they existed in Norway, Sweden ,Denmark too.
Some GEC lanterns are taken over by Siemens  for some time. Simon Cornwell's website fascinated me and so I'm now about to complete my know-how about Siemens lanterns with many pictures, catalogues, datas etc- what I want to say is: I'm interessted to know when Siemens took over GEC or maybe too other manufacturer's streetlights and when S. gave it up, when ST , SR ,.. came and all about this theme. For UK streetlights I sadly can't help you, but I hope for some inforamtion anyway.  :mrgreen:
(I can only help about Osram things and German street lights/ lamps if someone search help about.)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:08 pm 
Random avatar

magslight wrote:
Now I saw on other forums the Siemens Broadway lights too that they existed in Norway, Sweden ,Denmark too.
Some GEC lanterns are taken over by Siemens  for some time. Simon Cornwell's website fascinated me and so I'm now about to complete my know-how about Siemens lanterns with many pictures, catalogues, datas etc- what I want to say is: I'm interessted to know when Siemens took over GEC or maybe too other manufacturer's streetlights and when S. gave it up, when ST , SR ,.. came and all about this theme. For UK streetlights I sadly can't help you, but I hope for some inforamtion anyway.  :mrgreen:
(I can only help about Osram things and German street lights/ lamps if someone search help about.)

In this country we had the MRL6, MRL90 and MRL135 as well as the MRLBW although of the four mentioned the MRLBW is by far the rarest lantern here.

AIUI GEC passed their lighting onto Osram (which was another division of GEC) and they then sold the streetlighting business onto Siemens who in turn sold it on to WRTL. Siemens bought Siteco in the late 90s who produce the SR and ST range of lanterns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:59 pm 
Random avatar

Well SiTeco (Siemens Technology ), Lighting part of Siemens was found 1997 and the SR and ST existed yet before  SiTeco under the Siemens name. Siemens sold Siteco and 2011 Siemens (Osram part) bought it back.
The old Siemens SR Range had btw first the old SiOptal reflectors.
I know from the MRL range from a catalogue of Siemens in 1993  the MRL 5, 6, BW, 90 and 135.  (MRL 5 only for 250/400w SON lamps)
The ST range is in Germany extremely rare.
Do you know when the SR / ST range came and the years of these take-overs?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:00 pm 
Random avatar

I think (though don't know for sure) that the GEC lighting range passed to Osram in about 1987, then onto Siemens in about 1990 and then WRTL in 1994. Maybe somebody else could confirm/deny this?  ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:57 pm 
Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:
I think (though don't know for sure) that the GEC lighting range passed to Osram in about 1987, then onto Siemens in about 1990 and then WRTL in 1994. Maybe somebody else could confirm/deny this?  ;)

I think Phosco marketed the Z8600/ MRL6 for a short while too but under the P426 (I think) - I believe Sotonsteve has mentioned that his local supermarket has mercury Phosco P426s running mercury.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:05 am 

yes they did... I couldn't remember the product code, but I mentioned phosco in my first post.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 am 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
yes they did... I couldn't remember the product code, but I mentioned phosco in my first post.

Ah I see - I fail at skim reading... Well it appears that we've unintentionally helped each other out after all.  :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:24 am 

Indeed :D I often forget just how many different companies have indeed made the MRL6 type luminaire (and also the smaller brother, the SRL8), and normally I forget about Phosco myself.

Profile  Personal album