It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:07 pm 

Actually yes they probably do! Whatever, they look edible anyway! :lol:
I do wonder sometimes what went through designers minds when they designed some lanterns... as the Gamma 3/4/5 and the GEC Z5680 (and some of the large saucer types) look a lot like the Swizzels Double Lollies you get, then these Jubilee's look like dolly mixtures, the unidentified abacus lanterns found in some supermarket carparks are nicknamed sugarcubes... It makes you wonder if, at the time of designing, they were a bit bored and were twiddling some sweet around in their hand, had a brainwave and designed the lantern after the item of confectionery being held!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:44 pm 
Random avatar

GEC Z9554s remind me of a Kit Kat finger  :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:13 am 

Oddly enough Simplex Jupiters remind me of a frying pan nailed to a column : :? : , I know we've had the Phosco P178's look like a Swizzle Mallow Double Lolly. Urbis Saturns remind me of... well I'll let you guess :lol: .

The designs though of these lanterns have probably come from sweets whilst the designers were in the breifing room deciding what to design next.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:17 am 
Random avatar

Yes, I bet it didn't take them long to come up with the name of the Urbis Saturn, likewise the Urbis Piano!  :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:37 am 

I do wonder what Urbis would do if they created a mini Saturn - I wonder if they will call it the Neptune. :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:37 pm 

CU Phosco have launched a new website, and apart from the P107 still being on offer, the P178 has made a reappearance on their website. Both the P107 and P178 have been brought bang up to date with PL-T and Cosmo lamp options.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:07 pm 
Random avatar

Interesting to see some lanterns like the P567 and the P111 to become LED lanterns!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:32 am 

Interesting indeed. The P516 was their SOX Windsor lantern that I have mentioned elsewhere, and now it's LED too, along with the P109 and P111.... I wonder if anywhere has a P111 LED lantern that was given to them to try out but they don't want anyore...?!
I'd love to get hold of an LED array suitable for such post top lanterns, and I'd try it out in a P106 to see what that looked like!

The P567 being offered as LED has a different type of array than is used in the other lanterns, and the lantern itself is the aluminium version.
The P178 CFL and Cosmo versions are welcome variations, and show they are willing to keep such a classic design going by dragging it into the 21st century... I wonder if the P107 will also see such variations, perhaps even with an LED version in the future?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:19 am 

Good to hear about CU Phosco keeping the classic P178 luminare going. Its one of the designs that show that its still modern, even in the 'tenties'.

Within about 10 years, possibly less depending on how fast LED development is. I do think that CU Phosco will have their entire lantern range LEDed.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:57 pm 
Random avatar

Hello - just found this excellent forum!   I have always had a passing interest in street lighting, and I've already picked up a lot by reading through some of the threads.

Recently I've acquired a Phosco P107 post top lantern which was being replaced.  It is in great condition but sadly the glass refractor was broken.  Does anyone know where I can get hold of a spare - I'm guessing it is specific to the lantern and not a standard product?  Any help would be great, the lantern doesn't look quite the same without it!