It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bowl cracks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:32 pm 

I'm sure this is a familiar problem. 3 of my lanterns have cracks of varying degrees in their bowls, but one in particular (A lovely SRS201 that Nick rescued for me) only has a small crack near one end from an impact.

Is there a good way to prevent this kind of crack in a lantern bowl that does not reach any of the edges from spreading?

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Bowl cracks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:44 pm 

If the bowl to either side of the crack can be separated then an adhesive can be used, otherwise it is better to leave it.

The most extreme bowl repairs I have on my lanterns are on my Alpha 5 and Z8526. My Alpha 5 has an additional piece of plastic glued to the bowl over a crack at one of the hinges. It may look a bit obvious, but it was the most effective repair available. The last thing I wanted was the bowl separating from the hinge completely. Meanwhile, on my Z8526 a crack went up to the edge of the bowl by the hinge. The crack was glued, but for additional strength a couple of very small holes were drilled to either side of the crack on the rim of the bowl and a thin wire tied through the holes for additional strength.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:45 pm 
Random avatar

One of my Alpha 3s has a small crack at the back of the bowl starting from the hinge down (common problem), I haven't done anything to it but a small piece of sticky back plastic could be used.
I just try not to knock it around too much and have bubble wrapped the lantern for safe storage.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:48 am 

I think if you have cracks that go from the edges of a bowl and work their way in, untreated they can form into a full split and can wreck the bowl (in the case of a P106 bowl, one that is split top to bottom won't fit properly and the canopy won't then fit properly either)... but if it's just an impact fracture or a stress mark then there isn't much that can be done other than careful handling of the lantern bowl.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:03 am 

On my GR100, I've used what I call 'patching' on where the bowl cracks are. This does work as the epoxy used is smeared into where the splits and cracks are and have left an unnoticiable mark, you can feel it but you can't see it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:18 pm 

It is an impact fracture on mine. It runs for about 4 inches along one of the refractor lines, turning diagonally accross them at the ends. If there is a chance of this becoming worse from any further small knocks or when opening the bowl then I would like to treat it somehow.

Would mixed epoxy resin do the trick?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:30 pm 

I think Mazeteam will know more about mixed epoxy resin than I do as I only use cheap expoxy glue from Wilkos. I'll wait until everyone else offers their suggestions on what to do then you can choose the best course of action.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:42 pm 

I agree. I would like to see what everyone thinks is the best option.

The bowl is in pretty good shape aside from this, so I would like to ensure it does not crack any further. Being such a large bowl, it does flex quite a lot when opened and I am concerned this will enlarge the crack. I don't think these bowls are very easy to find replacements for.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 pm 

Have you got a photo of the cracked bowl in question?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:17 pm 

I do now :)

Two in fact

Profile  Personal album