It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Well Glass Fittings
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 pm 

I bought this on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-cough ... true&rt=nc

I am looking for the glass for it. The seal is a little perrished though will do for now. I'm giving it to a friend for Xmas, but we will require parts to restore it. Any help is much appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:33 pm 
Site Administration

Not sure why you didn't buy a complete one.. they are very common on Ebay, as is the replacement glass.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 pm 
Random avatar

I have a few well-glass fittings I have obtained over the years, but no spare parts.
I have the aluminium bodied Goughtree well-glass with no shades, in clear glass, and in red and a green one as well.

Also I have an early 1930's cast-iron type, with a shade over it, make unknown at the moment, which I rescued from a place I was working in. It had been taken down and was destined for the scrap-metal skip, until I asked for it.

I will dig them out and take a photo next time I am in my storage area.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Not sure why you didn't buy a complete one.. they are very common on Ebay, as is the replacement glass.

I'll look out for the glass for it on eBay. The complete ones usually go for more than I'm willing to pay for one for a mate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390514067557? ... 1431.l2648

That is more my type of thing, which I'm trying for. Do most of Coughtrie's lanterns run GLS?
It seems I have a rather different taste in lanterns than most on here, meaning I go for the rarer stuff making them harder to get (not nessecerly this one).
If I do get that one, I'll use my heat gun on the 2 jamed screws. I've never done that and wouldn't want to crack the glass with the heat. I'll then rewire and restore it.

Last edited by cu_phosco on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:31 am 
Random avatar

Beware of lanterns with corroded screws. Most of these lanterns are aluminium bodied, and the screws are often brass, but sometimes steel. They corrode together and are near-impossible to part. I had to remove some of the more common-shaped Coughtrie bulk-head fittings, and the only way to get them apart and off the wall was the unfortunate big-hammer-method. I hate doing this, as it destroys the lamp and makes a mess with broken glass everywhere. I had tried soaking the screws with penetrating oil for a week before the lamps came out, but the screws wouldn't move. When you are being paid to replace the lamps, you can't take a full day trying to get one old redundant lamp off the wall. I was more fortunate with a couple which were partly under cover, in the fact that the screw heads sheared off, so at least I could save the glass as spares for my own lamps in my collection. I suppose if this happens you could drill out the remains of the screw then re-thread the hole, depending on how desperately you want to save the fitting or how long you want to wait to see if a better one turns up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:46 am 

Is it worth a punt on that one? Would drilling out the screws be the only way and how easy is it to do? Does anyone know the type/model of that paticular fitting and I'll see if other sites have them, but the eBay one is cheap though, but depends if worth the effort to restore though.
I've never had experience of this except with street lighting on the bracket screws, which I don't mind leaving jamed, as I don't ever intend fixing them to any brackets

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:53 am 

As has been said, it depends a lot on what screws are used.
If you get a fitting with brass screws in, they'll more than likely just shear off or the head will disintegrate - but for the very same reason as that happens, brass being softer metal, you can drill out the remnants without too much hassle if you have a pillar drill. Steel screws are a different ball game completely, especially hardened ones... as you'll have a hell and all job trying to drill them out if the head shears off.

The bulkhead you've got your eyes on itself is a decent model, and I'm pretty sure I've seen some of this type running MBF and/or SOX (18w)... but whether you take a punt depends on if you're game for a gamble! :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:43 am 

MBF would be nice to run in it. I don't as yet have anything MBF. I didn't think it looked big enough for SOX.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:03 pm 

cu_phosco wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390514067557? ... 1431.l2648

That is more my type of thing, which I'm trying for. Do most of Coughtrie's lanterns run GLS?

It seems I have a rather different taste in lanterns than most on here, meaning I go for the rarer stuff making it harder to get.

What's rare about these? The only thing that makes these hard to get is the silly money people pay for them.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:41 pm 

So still rather common then? I have not seen them in use. Are these type use in flat starewells?
I was refering to the rare street lights I like, rather than this one in paticular in the rare area, Beauforts, Beta 3s, Gamma 1/2 etc