It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:18 pm 
Random avatar

While travelling through Pocklington at the weekend on the bus, I noticed that many of the phillips MA range of lamps were still in place. I like this type of lamp, with it's distinctive SOX yellow light. However, on returning by bus in the evening, I noticed that the light emmitted was white! What appears is that the SOX lamp has been removed, and two flourescent lamps (the U shaped type, sorry I don't know the proper name for them) have been fitted. They were fitted with the caps at the outer-most ends of the actual lamp fitting, presumably mounting the holders where the origional BC holder is at one end, and where the lamp support clip is at the outer-end. The lamps which appear to have had this conversion looked like the MA60 type, with integral gear.

As I have stated, I was travelling on a bus at the time, so I was unable to study these lamps for long, and the information I have provided was gained when we stopped at a bus-stop. This gave me a good view of a lamp, and I am totally sure it was a Phillips MA60.

Can anyone else confirm if they have seen or heard of these types of lamp converted instead of being replaced?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 am 

The MA60s may have been changed to Thorn Celests, which is a very similar design to the MA series. There is a fair few of these Celests in Hedon when I passed through a few months back. I know that the East Riding of Yorkshire Council have been replacing the odd MA now and again as I end up looking twice.

If you can try and get a photo next time your heading to / from Pocklington as if these MA60s have indeed been converted to fluorescent then it will be probably a first on British soil as The Netherlands use fluorescent tubes in many of their MA installations.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:37 am 

Mad-al, were you on the X46 at the time? Because depending on how my schedules go over the next few days I might be able to bike up there and have a poke around myself, and so knowing the bus route will narrow down which streets I check!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:37 am 
Founder
Random avatar

It isn't uncommon to find fluorescent versions of the SRS201 on the continent but I'm yet to see one installed in Britain. Because Philips is a multinational, it is perhaps possible that the local authority purchased the fluorescent version.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 am 
Random avatar

Mazeteam, yes I was on the X46 York to Hull bus. The lamps which appear to have had the conversion were spotted after we left the bus-station in Pocklington and were heading towards the A1079 back towards Hull, although I can't be sure of the exact street location there were a fair few of these white lights. It is not a route I travel often, so I am not sure when I will be going back that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 am 

OK cheers for that... I can check the route of the X46 and either cycle to Pock and have a look along the streets the bus takes, or cut out the middleman and get the X46 there and have a look round on foot.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 am 

I can confirm that a substantial percentage of the MA50s and 60s have been converted to flourescent in the East Riding as part of their white light policy. New main road installations are either Celests, Arcs or LED lanterns.

I have to say the conversions do look spectacular. I will try to get some pictures of the Beverley bypass at dusk.

Overall its a quite a pleasing street lighting story.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 pm 

Makes me wonder if the MAs around the Goole area have also had the white light treatment too. I'll have to check the lighting on the A161 between Key Korner and the war memorial in Swinefleet and between Goole Fields and Goole market hall as this section uses MA50s.

Howden Bypass also uses MA lanterns but these may have been converted too, it does beg the question how long the unitary East Riding of Yorkshire can retain its old Humberside standard identity.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:13 am 

I did see some white lighting on the industrial estate east of Hessle on the A63 when I passed on the train last week - I thought they were Residiums, but they might have been converted MAs... there were parts of the industrial estate that still had their SOX MAs and so maybe that was in the middle of conversion - it'd be interesting to see a conversion in progress anyway.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:10 pm 
Random avatar

I can confirm that MA60s are being converted to run flourescent. There is a tray available, with two single-ended lamps mounted with the caps at the outer-most ends, which also houses the control gear for the lamps. These are fitted where the old lampholder mounted, and where the old lamp-support bracket was, so once the SOX lamp and gear has been removed, the new unit is offered into place, and connected up.
I haven't actually seen the tray, but was told about it by someone who fits them.