It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:13 am 

That is brilliant, not only to see SOX casual replacements but also a scheme where SOX has been installed, and main road SOX at that.

I particularly like your night time photo David  8-)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:52 pm 
Random avatar

David wrote:

The A120 between Braintree and Colchester is SOX-lit, so it's understandable why the Highways Agency would prefer to replace a damaged SOX lantern with another SOX lantern. The damaged SOX lantern appears partially obscured on the right hand side of the road in this photograph from October 2013..

Hi, I am a new joiner, please forgive me jacking the thread a bit.

Although I've been pondering joining for a while, the tipping point is that I wanted to say how much I like that photo.  I haven't witnessed a scene like that for a very long time, and for me it would be the holy grail of the hobby given how much I like MA60s/50s. I'm up in Scotland and to my knowledge there are few if any installations like that anywhere near me.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:53 am 
Site Administration

Agreed a very impressive sight. Also welcome to Ukastle, the official welcome thread is here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:37 am 
Random avatar

I was quite surprised to see that Bolton Council have over the recent weeks replaced a particularly manky and water filled Beta 5 with what appears to be a brand new GEC Z9582.

Do GEC still make these fittings?

The Z9582 was a staple of Bolton's casual 35W replacements and new installs until around 4 years ago when the council stopped installing SOX and began fitting only MRL6 and SRL8s as casual replacements.

This is the first 35W SOX I have seen installed since (I'm pretty sure) a new MA90 was installed around 2 years ago.

I suspect it may well be a case of the financial year is coming to an end and they are using up the NOS & possibly using the best of the lanterns removed in recent LED upgrades, but I can't think of anywhere they have removed SOX for LED.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:35 pm 
Random avatar

I can't post any pictures as of yet, but a private estate that has not yet been adopted by the council near me, have installed  Philips FGS 103s after experimenting with LEDs. This was in February 2015 by the way :D.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:41 pm 
Random avatar

Those are temporary lanterns and will be removed close to when the estate is finished.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:44 pm 
Random avatar

A column near me (Radcliffe Road, Bolton) was fitted with a MA90, but was knocked down a couple of months ago. For around two months it was just a hole in the ground where the column used to be. A few weeks ago Bolton Council installed a new column with a brand new MA90 attached which surprised me as I thought they had stopped installing SOX as replacements. I was expecting them to install an MRL6

(Will get a pics when I get a chance.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:17 pm 
Random avatar

Where abouts on Radcliffe Road?

They installed a new MA90 on Goodwin Street Last year too.
The Beta 5 replacement i mentioned above (just off Bromwich Street) has now been swept away with LED replacements.

I suspect that the SOX stuff they are installing is NOS they have had hanging around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:38 pm 
Random avatar

The bit between Darcy Lever and Little Lever

Here's the crash in Bolton news:
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/117 ... _lamppost/

By looking at the exact date, let's say the hole was left open for around 4 months.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:46 pm 
Random avatar

I'm not sure if this is excatly the right place to post this, but as of the end of January CU Phosco announced it was stopping production od SOX luminaires immediately.

http://www.cuphosco.co.uk/2016-01-end-of-an-era

Good commercial reasons for doing so, of course, but still it's a shame.