It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:30 am 
Random avatar

SoX-143 wrote:
I can't post any pictures as of yet, but a private estate that has not yet been adopted by the council near me, have installed  Philips FGS 103s after experimenting with LEDs. This was in February 2015 by the way :D.

An estate did the same near me, however as it stands at the moment they have been in situ for close to 3 years and the estate has been adopted by the council, so ill have to see what happens to them

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:38 pm 

On the A47 in Norfolk several damaged MA50s have been replaced with brand new (yes this is 2016!) MA50s! It's so strange to see them in a shiny new looking state on a shiny new column. Usually failed lanterns are replaced with WRTL Airtrace 2s despite the installations being SOX or not. I guess Norfolk County Council had some MA50s left over and decided to use them. I haven't got any photos but I'll try and a GSV link but the SOX is so new it probably isn't on there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:08 pm 

The A47 is a trunk road and owned by Highways England, so it is not Norfolk County Council in charge.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:16 pm 
Random avatar

Regarding the thing of installing infill low pressure sodium lamps to keep all the lighting on one road the same, here in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire Council don't seem to have that policy at all.

Their policy is to use LED lighting for all casual replacements, meaning you could go down one road and see it mostly has low pressure sodium lamps but see an odd one out lamp that is an LED. I'd much prefer it if all our street lighting got replaced with LED lighting but that's going to be years away yet........

Here is an example of a road in Scunthorpe that mostly uses SOX lamps and has a recently installed lamp post with an LED, with the old lamp post still there and featuring an SOX lamp. (Further up, although I don't have any pictures of them, are more SOX lamps, and two more LED lamps).

Attachments:
20170417_180028.jpg
20170417_180028.jpg [ 111.96 KiB | Viewed 14162 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:20 pm 

deadendwaterfall wrote:
Here is an example of a road in Scunthorpe that mostly uses SOX lamps and has a recently installed lamp post with an LED, with the old lamp post still there and featuring an SOX lamp.

The Holophane VMAX lantern looks surprisingly good on this 8m sheet metal column. In terms of aesthetics, I think this column looks better than the tubular steel variety usually used. At least with this type, uniformity of the installation can generally be assured, even if individual columns are replaced due to collisions etc.

Back in the mid 80s, the sheet steel column found favour with my LA, mostly being used to replace 1950s Eleco concretes. The photo was taken during one of the major renewal schemes in about 1985.

In recent years however, tubular steel columns have been the standard choice, both for new schemes and replacements. Even the "new" column pictured below has had some of its neighbours removed in recent times!

Attachments:
har1.jpg
har1.jpg [ 149.04 KiB | Viewed 14145 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:21 pm 
Random avatar

Having been using LED lanterns for casual replacements for a couple of years now Bury MBC have in recent months fitted a couple of ARCs - Some SON some White Light and most recently have replaced this,
https://goo.gl/maps/NwVNHhuZcXq

a very tired, rust stained Alpha 9, that recently lost its bowl and stopped working with a MA series lantern. I have not seen the lamp in the daylight yet so cant say if the lantern is new or possibly a reused lantern from elsewhere.

Bury also have a few SOX lanterns that appear to be burning the wrong (smaller) lamps.