It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:22 pm 
Random avatar

I found to my shock and horror today that the WRTL Lumas on the A127 at Gallows Corner, which retrofitted Iridiums in early 2012 (which themselves replaced MA60s in 2009) are being RETROFITTED after just 3 years of service with LED lanterns that look like this. This seems pointless, thoughtless, wasteful and downright stupid to me!

Anybody else know of any instances where LED lanterns have been replaced at such an immature stage of development?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:13 pm 

I suppose if you're an early adopter of a technology, its difficult to make long term plans. The speed of product development gets faster every year, and the range of options widens.

Having said that, I'm still yet to see an LED lantern I can honestly say I like the design of.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:41 pm 
Random avatar

But the Lumas are up there in terms of advanced tech.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:09 pm 

I've seen an instance of LED lanterns being fitted to Hampshire County Council columns by the then Highways Agency mistakenly, only for the South Coast PFI to come through and replace the columns a few months later.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:25 am 
Random avatar

Have just seen this article on CU Phosco's website about the partnership between TfL and CU Phosco. But I don't think Phosco lanterns have been used all over, as I don't think this lantern is a Phosco model. I thought it might have been a Phosco P851, as detailed in the article, but the canopy is too long and the lantern has several arrays of LEDs as opposed to a single one in the P851. I also saw some P851s in situ today which retrofitted MRL6s on a stretch of my local carriageway and they look different to the black lanterns which have been used on most other stretches.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:04 am 
Random avatar

The only instance of this I've seen is the replacement of temporary WRTL Stelas with Lumas so they match the PFI specification of Sheffield (surprisingly!).

I know of a road which is lit by pre-PFI Thorn Oxanes so it will be interesting to see if these just get CMS fitted to them, or whether they're replaced entirely by the Lumas... Hopefully they're retained. They look really good and perform well from what I've seen.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:20 pm 

Firstly, apart from the example on the A12, I have seen a few LEDs being replaced in and around Bromley, but only as a casual replacement, most of which were due to accident damage.  

Secondly,  from what I gather, the reason for this rather wasteful replacement of 3 year old Lumas (which performed better at night than its successor, the Orangetek AriaLED), is that the Lumas were trailed on this short stretch of the A12 by TFL's previous street lighting contractor, Ringway Jacobs (who were contracted sometime between 2010-2013 and currently cover Newham and Westminster - as far as I can remember), and notably did the street lighting for the London Olympics.

Ringway Jacobs favoured (at the time) Philips Iridiums and also used Indal Airtraces, Thorn Oracles, Urbis Evolos and Urbis Saphires on Mallatite Columns with short brackets. Ringway Jacobs only ever trailed LED (as LED was still premature), however now all of these LED trials are at risk as Ringway Jacobs are no longer in charge:

> Philips Speedstar  
> Orangetek terrraLED
> WRTL Luma (now replaced)
> and possibly others.

Since 2013 Bogeys Bouygues (ex David Webster, who also currently runs Greenwich, Lambeth, Enfield, Barnet and Brents lighting) has been in charge, and so far they have done a good job. Normally Bouygues favours Arcs and Fabrikat/CU Phosco on medium brackets, but the LEDs Boygues have used so far are:

> CU Phosco P850
> Orangetek AriaLED
> Urbis Amperas
> Urbis Teceos
> CU Phosco P851

Personally I do like the Orangetek Arialeds as they are slightly reminiscent of the small-shoed Philips MA60 or the Thorn Alpha 4, however my favourite LEDs are the WRTL Luma, Urbis Axia and the CU Phosco P850.
I do also like the Urbis Teceo 1 and 2 and the Thorn Oxane.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:04 am 

Similar has happened up here, but in a slightly different way and also due to a schedule that could have been planned a bit better. Photos will be added shortly.

During late 2014 and into 2015, York contracted out to East Riding of Yorkshire District Council the task of replacing 35w SOX lanterns with Orangetek TerraLED lanterns in area 3 and area 7. Area 3 was done later on (Huntington and New Earswick) so doesn't matter as the old columns in question kept their SOX lanterns... but in area 7 there were 4 examples where the old columns got TerraLED's fitted only for 4 weeks later to have a brand new column, with a NEW TerraLED on top, standing alongside it because the old Stewart and Lloyd column had failed structural testing and so now sported the white cross of death. One such example existed in Copmanthorpe, two in one street off Bishopthorpe Road near Rowntree Park, and one up at Philadelphia Terrace in South Bank (of the four, this was the only column painted Battleship Grey, and not green... all three examples had the lanterns fitted to curved swan necks, so the lantern spigot still had part of the curve going into it).
When it came round to removing the old columns, Copmanthorpe was done one day along with three columns that had Opalo's on, whilst the other three columns were all done two days later though I didn't catch the crew as they were actually pulling out the columns. As I recall, most of the TerraLED lanterns went back to York to then re-use elsewhere.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:07 am 
Random avatar

Well, in my area a few years ago, WRTL Stelas, Holophane Factor Smalls and V-Maxes (the original three options for LED lighting in Bedford and Bedfordshire) were being replaced with the LED replacement specified lantern, the Urbis Ampera.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:35 am 

I have an example to share near my neck of the woods! Lonsdale Avenue saw its WRTL MRL 6s replaced with LED Roadway NXTs sometime between May 2018 and April 2019 according to street view. However, they themselves were replaced with Indo Air 2s only a year later! The only reason I could think of why they replaced them is because somebody complained that the previous LED lanterns were too bright, so they replaced them with LED lanterns that are less brighter. Otherwise, this seems like a complete waste of money unless the LED lanterns were reused elsewhere.

This street view image from April 2019 shows the LED Roadway NXTs in situ: https://maps.app.goo.gl/uBGWG5nCbykwXt9u9?g_st=ic

Fast forward to December 2020 and you’ll see that they’ve been replaced with Indo Air 2s: https://maps.app.goo.gl/PBYixfXzcRSkjEdc7?g_st=ic

Profile  Personal album