It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Gamma LED out.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:33 pm 

Thorn have released a new Gamma, called the 'LED' which looks cheap and horrible, and is quite clearly a FleXity with a shade on it  :o  http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/en-gb/pr ... /Gamma_LED

Post subject: Re: New Gamma LED out.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:00 pm 

Gabs wrote:
Thorn have released a new Gamma...

When one considers some of current efforts in LED lantern design which are now gracing our streets, I personally think the Gamma LED looks fine aesthetically. I like the opal bowls too, providing they remain free of dirt and insects.  However, had this lantern been made out of GRP instead of aluminium, I might then be inclined to agree with you regarding it looking cheap, especially if it was still in service at the end of its projected lifespan. As we know, GRP does not age at all well.

LED lanterns by their very nature are jarringly functional, however for the majority of the public (who rarely look above their smartphones), this is not seen as an issue.

I would suspect the Gamma LED is only ever likely to be found in some fairly respectable locations. With the fashion to refresh and re-equip such installations (often after only a few years service), I wouldn't think the 100,000 hour lamp would be in any danger of burning out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:35 pm 

Yeah, I guess it would be good, but doesn't as look as nice as the 6, I'd like to get my hands on one, however, I suspect that they may be expensive. The thing is, LEDs degrade in lumens over the years, so it may be 4,000 lumens now, but in 10 years only 2,000 lumens bright

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:44 pm 
Random avatar

Well it's nothing like the classics (Gamma 2,3,4,5 and 6) but I need to see one in the flesh first. Still nothing like the classic Gamma 6 with a SOX lamp and a china hat. (I currently have one in my garden.)

My street is lit with Phillips led lanterns and while they seem reliable so far they are very dim compared to the SON and SOX lanterns my street had before.

Led lanterns need to spread the light out more and not just concentrate all the light on the ground underneath. Unfortunately Middlesborough council seem to be enjoying replacing all the side street lanterns with led fittings.

While the older lanterns were brighter, they looked scruffy especially the Philips boxy lanterns and the Thorn Beta 79s (however for some reason they have left a lot of  GEC 5718s up which do look pretty good especially on the hexagonal GEC columns.

However, I do look forward to seeing the new Gamma leds up and I am very curious as to how they will look.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:58 pm 

Yes, OK Max  :x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:08 pm 
Random avatar

Oh hello lol, but seriously the Gamma led will be interesting to see as would installing a led COB into a Gamma 6, (makes more sense than replacing them).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:00 pm 

Hi,

Tonight I have my SOX Gamma 6 illuminated in the garden. I agree, the china hat and 35w SOX version of the Gamma 6 is a great lantern. I am hoping to save two of these lanterns with the deep base as the City Council are in full flow of replacing everything with LED at the moment.

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:50 pm 
Random avatar

I also have mine illuminating my garden right now.  As I type this I can see the lovely glow from it as I sit here. I wish you good luck in saving those lanterns as they are one of my favourites of all time (I would adore to find an MBF version one day) but I absolutly love SOX, always have done, always will do