It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:06 pm 
Random avatar

Big design fault on the larger ma series.
They seem to snap along the grp where the shoe ends where the photocell is mounted so far this year i have seen four like this!
Its a shame as i love these lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Administration

Hmm, I can't see how that happens as the spigot casting extends over the top rear of the canopy and acts as a "doubler" to strengthen the canopy and is secured by 4 bolts. Also the gear tray picks up on these bolts as well so that the majority of the weight loading is transferred direct to the casting and not the canopy itself.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:16 pm 
Random avatar

Well its happens just past the end of the photocell where the shoe ends.
It only happens on the geared ma60 not the gearless ma60  :?:  Might be due to the added weight making the bouncing on the bracket worse.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:32 pm 

nick217 wrote:
It only happens on the geared ma60 not the gearless ma60  :?:  

I've seen it happen to a remote geared MA50.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:37 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
So that is how they do it. I did wonder how they made the joint between the spigot and the top of the canopy waterproof. Agreed they haven't choosen the best method!

Yep... and when that fails, water seeps in through the top - so if the Sealsafe optic isn't up to scratch then you get a fishbowl!

I'd like to see how other similar lanterns fix to the spigot. Maybe if that brand new DW Windsor heritage lantern in the plastic bag I found this last visit is still at the depot next time then I might have a look at that...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:40 pm 

That's happened in Huddersfield station, one of the Albany's have water inside, pity it didn't flood the lantern as TPE would have to replace it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:38 pm 
Site Administration

Yes, I'm not sure how the DW Windsor lanterns do it. I Personally would have a steel (rather than aluminium) canopy with the spigot welded in. Alternatively if the spigot was to be removeable it needs a flange and nut compression joint with a washer - bit like a water pipe going into a tank - rather than the very poor way Urbis have done it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm 
Random avatar

Many of the Albanys in Fleetwood (which date from 1994) have water collecting in the bowls. I've noticed one Albany at Fishermans Walk which had a lot of rusty brown water in it until one day the water had gone. A couple of weeks later, after a period of heavy rain (how unusual around here!  :roll: ) and it was full of water again! It seems the council keep coming along and tipping the water out rather than replacing the lantern (dur!  :twisted: ). Surprisingly though the lantern still works and I've noticed it a few times illuminating it's dirty water with orange light! I wonder if some people think these lanterns are full of water intentionally, given the nautical theme of the area!  :lol:

Surprising what you say about how the Albany is fixed to the bracket. I always thought that Albanys weren't fixed tightly enough! The reason I believed this is because I remember a few years ago a couple of Albanys mysteriously dropped off their brackets in my area and one column which was knocked by a car had the Albany smashed on the floor even though the column wasn't severely damaged just dented and a bit wonky.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:26 pm 
Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:
Surprising what you say about how the Albany is fixed to the bracket. I always thought that Albanys weren't fixed tightly enough! The reason I believed this is because I remember a few years ago a couple of Albanys mysteriously dropped off their brackets in my area and one column which was knocked by a car had the Albany smashed on the floor even though the column wasn't severely damaged just dented and a bit wonky.

One of our columns was randomly missing an Albany too! I don't know wht happened to it, but one day the wires were just hanging out of the bracket! A new one is fitted now though.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:07 am 

- whilst some local house now has a rather large light over the driveway! :lol:

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
That's happened in Huddersfield station, one of the Albany's have water inside, pity it didn't flood the lantern as TPE would have to replace it.

They'd only replace it with another one!

Phosco152 wrote:
Yes, I'm not sure how the DW Windsor lanterns do it. I Personally would have a steel (rather than aluminium) canopy with the spigot welded in. Alternatively if the spigot was to be removeable it needs a flange and nut compression joint with a washer - bit like a water pipe going into a tank - rather than the very poor way Urbis have done it.

It'd have to be very very tight, as the screw thread tends to get quite hard to turn once a few threads are into the bracket. I've greased mine up and it's still tight to turn. Maybe if a giant 'spikey' washer was used (I don't know the proper name!) where the spikes dig into the material when the nut is tightened were to be used, then the lantern could be screwed in.

Gramma6 wrote:
It seems the council keep coming along and tipping the water out rather than replacing the lantern (dur!  :twisted: ). Surprisingly though the lantern still works and I've noticed it a few times illuminating it's dirty water with orange light! I wonder if some people think these lanterns are full of water intentionally, given the nautical theme of the area!  :lol:

I wouldn't put it past some people! If the water were right up to the level of the lamp, it'd probably give slightly better light output, as the light would be projected through the water and bowl as though it were one solid object.
However, if the lantern is filling up with water then the seal has obviously failed on the optic, and so if a cheap fix is required, I'd just drill a small darin hole in the bottom of the bowl.

this is top view of mine when de-assembled. in the 9-o-clock position around the main entry you cans ee the arc where the rivet has gauged out a groove due to inserting and removing the light. (and yes I was fixing the light Jeremy Clarkson style!)
Attachment:
DSC05394.JPG
DSC05394.JPG [ 92.38 KiB | Viewed 10302 times ]

This metal plate fits to the inside, with the big nut going around the thread from the bracket. in the 3-o-clock position you can just see my fix for the failed rivet. I had to dril out the top of the rivet that was through the spigot plate above the lantern, and this screw is just long enough to go through all the holes and bites in the spigot plate hole to hold everything in place.
Attachment:
DSC05396.JPG
DSC05396.JPG [ 119.98 KiB | Viewed 10302 times ]

top view once re-assembled. You can see the top plate here, with the rubber 'seal' ring below. and you can also see the top of my screw poking through. Fixing this bit so the lantern would screw onto the bracket is probably the only part of this job that didn't involve using a hammer!
Attachment:
DSC05403.JPG
DSC05403.JPG [ 101.43 KiB | Viewed 10302 times ]

It was much easier to fix the lantern when it was on the bracket... If I didn't have the bracket then I'd have had trouble getting the lantern straight.

Profile  Personal album