It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:57 am 

It would actually look unusual but its quirkyness would make the place diffrent.

At night Holme village (about 1 mile downhill from Holme Moss) has 1 WTRL MRL6 fitted and the rest are a combo of Phosco 567? (pointy one) and Philips SGS203 aparently when i go up there half of the 203's have been cycling as they usually illuminate for a minute then go out then restart. No wonder i say get some Resuidums or Oppolos up there as their CFL and not SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:26 pm 
Random avatar

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
There's even more of a botch in Holmfirth as you can see what happened to the heritage columns, firstly they had Albanies fitted, give it two years later and about 4 of them have been replaced by WTRL MRL6's :x . Possibly that the Albanies safeseal system didn't work or failed.

Probably due to the stupid way the Albanies are fitted to the brackets as detailed above. When Albanies become goldfish bowls around here the council leave them alone as they still work in most cases, they don't even empty the water out! The only time they get replaced is if they mysteriously drop off the brackets as they sometimes have and then they get replaced with another Albany although I'd love to see a Vectra retrofitted as a replacement, that would be comedy!  :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:43 pm 
Random avatar

In County Durham when the Alpha 8s or Beta 79s fill with water, the council usually drill holes in the bowls to allow water to drain away, however lots of the bowls are full of dirt and rusty coloured water. I haven't noticed any problems with the Albanys up here yet. The lanterns which are lasting the least amount of time are the SGS203s as the bowls go yellow and the canopies look scatty. Some have even been replaced after just 3 years of use.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:08 am 

Ah yes the good old SGS203's.... it's quite a standing joke at just how bad they are at coping with the elements!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:35 pm 
Random avatar

The lower wattages seem okay, but anything above 150watt SON and the bowls yellow very fast.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:03 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:
The only time they get replaced is if they mysteriously drop off the brackets as they sometimes have and then they get replaced with another Albany although I'd love to see a Vectra retrofitted as a replacement, that would be comedy!  :lol:

:lol:
Perhaps the weight of the water causes them to snap off!

Scott15 wrote:
In County Durham when the Alpha 8s or Beta 79s fill with water, the council usually drill holes in the bowls to allow water to drain away

Now that sounds like a good concept!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:09 pm 
Random avatar

The fragile bowls of GR150s don't seem suited to a costal location such as Aberystwyth. There are so many lanterns where parts of the bowl are missing... They are also tempramental when they switch on, some don't switch on till about 10pm at night! At the street that runs past the university, 4 GR150s are currently out, and another one was recently, till it started working again randomly. 3 of the GR150s work sometimes, one hasn't worked in like a year. There are also 4 not working MA50s, and a flickery Z9554 with no bowl. You'll also see a few column stumps sticking out of the ground where the council haven't pulled them out!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Administration

Many older Phosco lanterns such as the P152/3, P156/7, P177 have their bowls fastened with what is called an "Oddie Key" rather than a more conventional catch. A common fault is that the rubber washer that retains the Oddie perishes with age. When it comes to relamp time, if the operative is unaware of this common fault, when the Oddie is rotated 90 degrees to unlock it, it drops out and is lost. The bowl then ends up being taped up.

A chance find by a colleague at work, unearthed some back issues of Flight International, the aerospace weekly news magazine, dating back to 1952. Thumbing through the 4th April 1952 issue, I spotted a small advert for Oddie Fasteners. I never realised they originated in the aerospace industry as a quick release fastener for swift removal of panels.

More amazing was that the advert was for a company just 25 miles away from me in Southampton. Pre WW2 they seemed to have been based at the nearby Eastleigh/Southampton airport, moving to the address in the advert post WW2. They also seem to have designed a WW2 era gyro plane. The company no longer appears to exist.

I had considered making up my own new Oddie keys from brass rod and strip to replace lost ones on my lanterns. However a quick search on the internet shows that these are still being made of a suitable size to fit Phosco lanterns.  :)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:16 am 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
I had considered making up my own new Oddie keys from brass rod and strip to replace lost ones on my lanterns. However a quick search on the internet shows that these are still being made of a suitable size to fit Phosco lanterns.  :)

Amazing, what a niche product to still be selling! Didn't Phosco stop fitting Oddie keys to their lanterns in the early 60s?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:59 am 
Site Administration

Yes around that type. The later P223 which replaced the P152/153 had more conventional clips.

Profile  Personal album