It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:14 pm 
Random avatar

If I was a lighting engineer I'd refuse to install Urbis Albanys, they seem a right pain in the a**e!  :mrgreen:  Maybe you should send those pics to Urbis and show them what a big design fault there lantern has!

mazeteam wrote:
Gramma6 wrote:
It seems the council keep coming along and tipping the water out rather than replacing the lantern (dur!  :twisted: ). Surprisingly though the lantern still works and I've noticed it a few times illuminating it's dirty water with orange light! I wonder if some people think these lanterns are full of water intentionally, given the nautical theme of the area!  :lol:

I wouldn't put it past some people! If the water were right up to the level of the lamp, it'd probably give slightly better light output, as the light would be projected through the water and bowl as though it were one solid object.
However, if the lantern is filling up with water then the seal has obviously failed on the optic, and so if a cheap fix is required, I'd just drill a small darin hole in the bottom of the bowl.

Yeah, it would be easier to drill a hole in the bottom but the council would never think of that in a million years!  :roll: It would just mean people getting dripped on as they stood under the light after a heavy rain shower  :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:39 pm 

A cheap fix I have done on floodlights is to drill 2 holes in the bowl. One for air and one for drain. One hole usually isn't enough....

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:56 pm 

oh yeah, you need air replacement for the water to drip out.

Also, people standing under streetlights normally get dripped on anyway, as the canopies are normally curved slightly! In the recent snowfalls that occured overnight, you'd see the snow landing elsewhere, but under the streetlights it'd be dripping as the snow was melting and dripping onto the footpaths below.

But yes, my Albany was a bit tricky to screw onto the bracket spigot for a start... and then inside you have to slide out the gear for the incoming cable to come through without getting kinked.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:46 am 

In Brighouse we have two Albanys although these are the huge great big things and not the smaller version these replaced an Alpha 8? which was there in 2004. There is or was an Alpha 8? in Brighouse outside of Sainsburys apparently this lantern flooded plus the plastic clip snapped so it was held together with electric tape, it was replaced with an MA60. There was one up in Rastrick, same lantern, same problem although this one was worse as it blocked out 70% of the output, its now been replaced by 2 Arc's on a twin bracket overlooking the church Car Park.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:53 pm 
Random avatar

It probably was an Alpha 8. The Beta 79 was like a smaller version to the Alpha 8 and these were prone to letting water in which is possibly what led to their premature demise across most of Lancashire. Interesting that they replaced SON with SOX though, replacing an Alpha 8 with an MA60! Usually it's the other way round  ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:52 pm 

Gramma6 wrote:
It probably was an Alpha 8. The Beta 79 was like a smaller version to the Alpha 8 and these were prone to letting water in which is possibly what led to their premature demise across most of Lancashire. Interesting that they replaced SON with SOX though, replacing an Alpha 8 with an MA60! Usually it's the other way round  ;)

It was only installed because they had no SON lanterns in stock apparently. Another recent addition is that a post top globe in Halifax has been replaced by an Arc. same column, new lantern and these both run on SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:01 pm 
Random avatar

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
It was only installed because they had no SON lanterns in stock apparently. Another recent addition is that a post top globe in Halifax has been replaced by an Arc. same column, new lantern and these both run on SON.

I hate botch jobs like that. That reminds me of the Urbis Albanys on the usual fancy heritage columns being casually replaced by SGS203s on the Wirral. It just looks cheap and tacky.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:28 am 
Site Administration

The Revo Horizon like the Sol D'Or has the grub screws on the top of the canopy. Not a brilliant idea as the holes fill with rain. The Sol D'Or has rubber bungs to keep the rain out. It is not clear if the Horizon did. The picture below of mine part way through the restoration but after the siezed grubs were drilled out and the holes retapped shows the problem.

However when I looked at David's Horizon, the lantern has been redesigned with the grub screws internal to the lantern in the more "normal" position. Why they didn't do that to start with is anybodys guess.. :roll:

David's Horizon also has smaller mirrored reflectors positioned at an angle either side of the lamp holder where as mine has a single larger "over lamp" aluminium sheet reflector.

EDIT: David's Horizon also has a modified canopy around the spigot. Compare my picture above with this example. David's one is identical to the 2nd image.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:41 pm 

Gramma6 wrote:
Urbis Saturn Land wrote:

I hate botch jobs like that. That reminds me of the Urbis Albanys on the usual fancy heritage columns being casually replaced by SGS203s on the Wirral. It just looks cheap and tacky.

There's even more of a botch in Holmfirth as you can see what happened to the heritage columns, firstly they had Albanies fitted, give it two years later and about 4 of them have been replaced by WTRL MRL6's :x . Possibly that the Albanies safeseal system didn't work or failed.

Since Kirklees might be getting an eqivilent of a PFI scheme, hopefully these tacky lanterns will be replaced with Residums especially in residental areas which have SON lighting from the MRL6's. Oddly enough Residums or its equivilent would work in the Peak District village of Holme as that way the village won't look glarey as it currently does.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:11 am 

Remember that heritage brackets are tapped at the end, and the top entry adaptor is simply screwed onto the end and then the albany screwed into that. To install a side entry lantern, all you have to do is take off the adaptor.

It'd look odd seing heritage columns with residiums fitted! STill, the light output would be better...

Profile  Personal album