It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:55 pm 

Since the introduction and ever increasing popularity of LED street lighting, many HID and CFL lanterns have ceased production. I’ve created this subject because I believe some lantern designs (including the likes of MBF and SOX) deserve to be put back into production for future use, and it would also be interesting to see answers from other people!

Here are some lanterns I would personally like to see return:

- Philips SRS201 (these were some of the most popular SOX lanterns ever used in the UK, especially on motorways. An LED version would look great in my opinion)
- Philips XGS103 (one of the first SOX lanterns to introduce the post-top mounting feature, excluding actual post-top lanterns)
- Thorn Alpha 4 (back when they were great at designing lanterns. Due to its slim appearance and better build quality than the Alpha 1, this lantern would be perfect for an LED conversion)
- Thorn Beta 5 (actually, an LED version of the Beta 5 already exists called the Hardie Nightsight)
- Urbis ZXU1 (the ZX1 was one of the most popular SON lanterns to be found on side roads in the UK, especially around London. However, the ZXU1 has introduced the trapdoor spigot for post-top mounting. The reason I believe this deserves an LED conversion is because this lantern looks great on almost every column its mounted onto)
- Urbis ZX2 (same reason as above, but more suitable to main road applications)
- Philips SGS 203 (another lantern that was once popular up and down the country, and for the same reason as the ZXU1 and the ZX2, this deserves an LED conversion)
- Thorn Alpha 8 (this lantern had lots of character and it still looks great to this day)
- Thorn Beta 79 (same reason as above)
- WRTL MRL6 (a lantern that may look old today, but back when it was released it was ahead of its times)
- WRTL SRL8 (same reason as above)
- CU Phosco P178 (a lantern that still looks amazing today, and I highly believe this deserves an LED conversion much like the P107)
- CU Phosco P222 (same reason as above, except this would be more useful for roundabouts)
- Thorn Gamma 6 (since the 1980s, this became one of the most popular post-top lanterns in the UK. A proper LED conversion of this lantern would be great, and I’m not talking about the Gamma LED that looks similar to the FleXity)
- Holophane Grosvenor (I wonder how the LEDs would perform with the refractor? Might be quite glary, I dunno)
- WRTL 2015 (a compact post-top lantern that looks great almost anywhere, even on Victorian styled columns)
- WRTL Airtrace (a very sleek and well proportioned lantern that still looks great to this day)
- Urbis Evolo (a lantern that looks incredible, but was sadly short-lived because of LED. Due to its well proportioned, sleek design, an LED version would be GREAT as this will stop councils from purchasing ugly LED lanterns)
- Urbis Furyo (would look great for those Urbis “Flo” brackets)
- WRTL Arc 80/90 (a much better rival than the Philips Iridium, and it looks great on almost every column and bracket it’s mounted onto)
- DW Windsor Eclipse (was never really popular in the UK outside of Leeds and Tower Hamlets (namely Bethnal Green Road) although these have sadly been replaced. This lantern’s design is a crossover between the MK2 Thorn Alpha 8 and the Stratum and I personally find it pleasing because of this)
- CU Phosco P567A (same reason as the ZXU1, albeit this lantern was slightly less common. It also looks like Sonic’s shoes :lol:)

Last edited by TB79 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:44 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:49 pm 
Random avatar

There is in fact an LED version of the Beta 5, the Night Sight made by Hardie Street Lighting. Popular in Central Bedfordshire and Liverpool.
http://www.hardiestreetlighting.co.uk/h ... cts-draft/
Looks a lot better then their own designed lanterns.
Here some in Dunstable.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WbPHLyQ5kkTzbjj17?g_st=ic
And in Liverpool.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/u3hGxsVUHx4ZkYLj8?g_st=ic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:17 pm 
Random avatar

TB79 wrote:
Since the introduction and ever increasing popularity of LED street lighting, many HID and CFL lanterns have ceased production. I’ve created this subject because I believe some lantern designs (including the likes of MBF and SOX) deserve to be put back into production for future use, and it would also be interesting to see answers from other people!

Here are some lanterns I would personally like to see return:

- Philips SRS201 (these were some of the most popular SOX lanterns ever used in the UK, especially on motorways. An LED version would look great in my opinion)
- Philips XGS103 (one of the first SOX lanterns to introduce the post-top mounting feature, excluding actual post-top lanterns)
- Thorn Alpha 4 (back when they were great at designing lanterns. Due to its slim appearance and better build quality than the Alpha 1, this lantern would be perfect for an LED conversion)
- Thorn Beta 5 (actually, an LED version of the Beta 5 already exists called the Hardie Nightsight)
- Urbis ZXU1 (the ZX1 was one of the most popular SON lanterns to be found on side roads in the UK, especially around London. However, the ZXU1 has introduced the trapdoor spigot for post-top mounting. The reason I believe this deserves an LED conversion is because this lantern looks great on almost every column its mounted onto)
- Urbis ZX2 (same reason as above, but more suitable to main road applications)
- Philips SGS 203 (another lantern that was once popular up and down the country, and for the same reason as the ZXU1 and the ZX2, this deserves an LED conversion)
- Thorn Alpha 8 (…)
- Thorn Beta 79 (…)
- WRTL MRL6 (a lantern that may look old today, but back when it was released it was ahead of its times)
- WRTL SRL8 (same reason as above)
- CU Phosco P178 (a lantern that still looks amazing today, and I highly believe this deserves an LED conversion much like the P107)
- CU Phosco P222 (same reason as above, except this would be more useful for roundabouts)
- Thorn Gamma 6 (since the 1980s, this became one of the most popular post-top lanterns in the UK. A proper LED conversion of this lantern would be great, and I’m not talking about the Gamma LED that looks similar to the FleXity)
- Holophane Grosvenor (…)
- WRTL 2015 (a compact post-top lantern that looks great almost anywhere, even on Victorian styled columns)
- WRTL Airtrace (a well proportioned lantern that still looks modern)
- Urbis Evolo (an incredibly designed lantern that sadly got outlived because of LED. This absolutely deserves an LED conversion)

The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham has converted all its Evolos (its staple lantern) to LED, so the Evolo does work an LED conversion!